• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wave Goodbye To The WBMP...

I noticed the "play whatever we feel like lol" station here in Philly, BEN has been spinning the original version of Africa by Toto quite a bit since the Weezer cover.

You can’t compare TSL pre-2008 with today’s PPM TSL. The PPM caused time using radio (PUR) to instantly decline by nearly 40%, so any view of NYC TSL today has to account for that.

PPM did not cause time using radio to decline at all. PPM caused a change in the data because the data was obviously previously inaccurate, just as the charts changed substantially once Soundscan came into being. But having said that (and although I can't prove it), I would contend that TSL on WNEW-FM in its glory days was quite long, one of the reasons it did well with advertisers in spite of not wonderful overall ratings (although strong demos). TSL has declined, but mainly because OTA commercial radio largely sucks and I would contend most listening has moved to the car, so when the ride is over, listening is over.

PPM did not cause time using radio to decline at all. PPM caused a change in the data because the data was obviously previously inaccurate, just as the charts changed substantially once Soundscan came into being. But having said that (and although I can't prove it), I would contend that TSL on WNEW-FM in its glory days was quite long, one of the reasons it did well with advertisers in spite of not wonderful overall ratings (although strong demos). TSL has declined, but mainly because OTA commercial radio largely sucks and I would contend most listening has moved to the car, so when the ride is over, listening is over.

I guess I should have said "reported time". The PPM takes into account all the interruptions in listening that did not get reported in the diary, which was mostly filled in from memory.

It was common for diary keepers to put "9 AM to 5 PM" as at-work listening. In fact, the PPM may show bits and pieces of listening between those hours, but taking into account lunch breaks, coffee breaks, phone calls, time away from the job location and the like, those 8 hours may just be 3 hours or so. I did regular diary reviews starting way back in 1970 when Arbitron was in Beltsville up to just before the move out of Columbia about 40 years later and the behavior of the diarykeeper was quite consistent in that respect.

So stations that depended on that kind of diary-based long TSL got slammed in the PPM.

TSL has declined, but mainly because OTA commercial radio largely sucks and I would contend most listening has moved to the car, so when the ride is over, listening is over.

Nobody seems to know anyone who listens to radio at home, yet the statement "Most listening has moved to the car" gets shot down by the pros, who have the proprietary data available to them, consistently on this board. Is this still the case today? Is there still a large "silent majority" of at-home radio listeners no one seems to know personally or does car listening now match the longtime perception?

Nobody seems to know anyone who listens to radio at home, yet the statement "Most listening has moved to the car" gets shot down by the pros, who have the proprietary data available to them, consistently on this board. Is this still the case today? Is there still a large "silent majority" of at-home radio listeners no one seems to know personally or does car listening now match the longtime perception?

At home listening has declined from the former 1/3 of all listening to about 20%. Both the PPM and the diary can break out at home listening, but the PPM can not distinguish between in-car and at-work, so it lists "at home" and "away" only.

At home listening has declined from the former 1/3 of all listening to about 20%. Both the PPM and the diary can break out at home listening, but the PPM can not distinguish between in-car and at-work, so it lists "at home" and "away" only.

So no one really knows exactly how much listening is taking place in the car, but "away" now comes to 80 percent and used to be 67 percent? For some reason, I thought the larger figure always cited represented at-home and at-work listening, not in-car and at-work. Thanks for clarifying that. The smaller in-home number makes a lot more sense to me.

Actually, I can kind of understand the inability to break out in-car and at-work, given that many people drive as part of their work (in addition to commuting), so their in-car listening qualifies as at-work as well.

So no one really knows exactly how much listening is taking place in the car, but "away" now comes to 80 percent and used to be 67 percent?

In diary markets, we see in-car at around 40% to 45%, with the rest being at work and at home.

For some reason, I thought the larger figure always cited represented at-home and at-work listening, not in-car and at-work.

It was pretty neatly 1/3 in each location at the time of the introduction of the PPM (and when, coincidentally, the smartphone started selling big time!).

Actually, I can kind of understand the inability to break out in-car and at-work, given that many people drive as part of their work (in addition to commuting), so their in-car listening qualifies as at-work as well.

That has always been an issue. The diary has check-boxes for home, work, car and "other" (the park, for example). So there is going to be some crossover.

Well they certainly do not make it easy to listen to WNYL at home. I did not want to drag out the radio with friends over today so I figure I will just stream WNYL. Took me a minute to realize alt923 is not alt923 NY and wnyl was at first absent in search results. I then finally found a link that took me to radio.com. It was not apparent at first where I could stream so I searched WNYL which turned up nothing. Went back to google and found the wnyl radio.com listen live link. Great, clicked on it and it says I need the iphone app. Click to get/download the Iphone app, input password and get a response that denies the installation with a message stating the app requires IOS 10+.

Since I do not have the latest iphone like allot of people I figure will just stream from radio.com. But the site is very slow to load and very slow to load the stream. After waiting 5 minutes for the stream to come up (on a full signal to a 100mbps cable wifi) it played some commercials first played a song then played the same commercials 3x repeatedly. I then I was able to listen to two and a half songs before it went silent with a "commercial break" and I could not get it to come back after that. Frustrated trying to get it back without success, refreshing and clicking play did nothing. 5 minutes trying to get the site back without success. I then switched to Pandora which was on for hours without issue. Radio.com is garbage.

Now I understand why Apple does not upgrade IOS since they want people to buy the latest and greatest phones to maximum profit but it makes no sense why some radio station groups like CBS using radio.com would create an app that requires the latest phones. As a radio station you want the maximum the amount of people listening and should not give a damn whether they have the latest and greatest phone. The app code for a stream is not all that different between IOS's so technically this should not be an issue. Either there is some contract issue with Apple I am not aware of or the devs are lazy using default SDK settings that would lock out earlier IOS versions with management being completely clueless of all the people that are being blocked from access because of it.

Good points. While I now live in SoCal, I'm from NJ and listened A WHOLE LOT to 'NEW-FM, had them on in the warehouse where I worked from start of the day to the end of the day, also listened to them on my drive home. So yeah TSL if measured on my radio would be extremely high then. Today I rarely listen by choice to commercial radio, yecccch toooooo many commercials!

I don’t think one was ever in the works. The folks suggesting one were the ones who regularly post idle speculation on 6+ numbers.

So now they have a mid-day host with Christine (10AM to 3PM) and Bryce will do evenings, probably VT.

I guess talent isn't a priority in this format.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom