Wave Goodbye To The WBMP... - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wave Goodbye To The WBMP...

Quote Originally Posted by atthestars View Post
    27 spins on WRFF in the past 7 days. So approximately 4 spins per day. Or once every 6 hours. Well below the top spins it's getting on WLUM at 52x this week.
    They have been up-ing the spins in the last few days...is ALT 92.3 beating it to death yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    They have been up-ing the spins in the last few days...is ALT 92.3 beating it to death yet?
    They don't appear to be playing it.

Yup. Up a whole... 3 spins. It was at 24 spins in 7 days as of yesterday.

Alt 92.3 isn't spinning it at all yet.

Here in Philly, RFF is playing that horrible soccer mom remake of Africa by Weezer at least once an hour, is this what the Alternative format is evolving into, much different than years back, when Better than Ezra, Screaming Trees and the Flys were on the airwaves...
    That's funny, because I feel like people would have dismissed Better Than Ezra as a "soccer mom" band back in their heyday, compared to the edgier stuff on the format at the time. Don't get me wrong, I like some of their songs, but they were definitely one of the more Hot AC-oriented Alternative acts back then.

As for the "Africa" cover, it's fine. Weezer pretty much gets a pass because of their heritage, and I'd rather hear a perfectly competent cover of a classic song than one of their awful recent originals. Regardless, it's getting a lot of buzz so it makes sense to play it - we'll see how long it lasts.

Exactly. Itís getting a ton of buzz- you donít see that much with rock bands anymore, so of course stations are going to play it. My guess is that the song is more of a novelty and will probably be on its way off of most playlists by September.

Quote Originally Posted by mjb1124 View Post

As for the "Africa" cover, it's fine. Weezer pretty much gets a pass because of their heritage, and I'd rather hear a perfectly competent cover of a classic song than one of their awful recent originals. Regardless, it's getting a lot of buzz so it makes sense to play it - we'll see how long it lasts.
    To me, it's indicative of this format. A heritage band does a 30 year old cover song, and gets airplay and buzz. But does it further the genre? Not my job.

The last dozen posts are indicative of....the fact that ALT music, is like ALT Thinking: It's ok to think alternatively, as long as you agree with "my" alternative thinking.

It's almost impossible to be a mass media radio station and play this niche to any large and loyal audience that engages and buys the products. Any station that has any real signal power is not maximizing their audience, success, ratings or billings in 2018. No matter what an ALT or AAA station programs, musically, it is NEVER right to a large part of the small audience willing to "attempt" to listen. The audience is extremely finicky and highly opinionated on what the playlist should be. Hence, minimal TSL and ratings.

Now you get a 25+ year old band willing to take a "risk" and listen to their fan and have a little fun and play a classic hit live on Jimmy Kimmel and do something different and bam.....berate and hate 101. Cuomo is almost 50 years old. Hardly the age to be a cutting edge new artist to tear up the charts, but Weezer has managed to get millions of dollars of free publicity from nightly news to NPR and THAT may well help the format.

Could this all just be that the format has and is moving away from your tastes? It happens all the time. As we all age a year at a time, the music cannot just stand still. The same is true about the Classic Hits and/or "oldies" format, except there are obviously no new versions of the songs to freshen up the format. And we all have heard the cries to bring back the 50 and 60 year old "hits" because the 80's stuff sucks....except that the majority of today's most desirable audience that could listen and make the stations massively successful and popular have never heard of most of the songs of the 50's, 60's and even now the 70's.

I had the pleasure of interviewing Dave Gahan a few months ago. You cannot argue that his band was a major force in alternative music and the format and guess who attends their concerts...twenty-year-olds and soccer moms alike. Maybe I can publicly ask Depeche Mode to do a new version of "Enjoy The Silence" on this board so it will bring more life to a timeless song. How about it Dave? Weezer's version of "Africa" is timeless. Not Alt. BigA points out that the most impressive fact is ---- airplay/buzz/sales/success... more power to them. Sorry boring radio has ruined your listening pleasure. Thankfully, you have plenty of those perfect online sources and I am sure there are plenty of non-radio discussion boards to discuss this on. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbs4 View Post

It's almost impossible to be a mass media radio station and play this niche to any large and loyal audience that engages and buys the products.
    I agree. Alternative should be the antithesis of mass media, if its done correctly. But for a time, about 25 years ago, alternative music all of a sudden became well known. Those are the older hits stations like ALT92.3 are playing. The purists are calling for these stations to stick to the current stuff. But I know that the current stuff is simply less commercial than the older stuff. Which is what the fan base likes. And I'm not here to talk about music, but rather radio.

Here's my view on alternative radio. It's done best when it's done right, which is as a non-commercial format. Stations like WFUV in NY are better at this, because they don't operate with the need to attract advertisers. Same with Sirius. Same with certain internet services. Take a look at WFUV's ratings, and they're dreadful. That's OK because as long as the listeners subscribe to the station, it will stay on the air. So my view is rather than complain about ALT92.3 and what they don't do, just change your station to WFUV. That's why they're there.

ALT 103.7

Quote Originally Posted by leethalweapon View Post
    Say hello to WNYL.
    ALT 103.7 in Dallas/Fort Worth is still using the KVIL calls. I suppose they could change to KDFW or KFWD but those are already TV stations in the market. Does that matter to radio? alt103.7 new logo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jefffwd View Post
    Does that matter to radio?
    No. The brand is Alt103.7. Call letters are incidental.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast