What Anthony Bourdain Taught Me About Radio Broadcasting (the turntable hit lives?)

Thread: What Anthony Bourdain Taught Me About Radio Broadcasting (the turntable hit lives?)

What Anthony Bourdain Taught Me About Radio Broadcasting (the turntable hit lives?)

Interesting entry on the Jacobs blog today... https://jacobsmedia.com/anthony-bour...500d-166583989

Just as barbecue can change from one side of a state to another in some regions, songs that couldn't get arrested in most parts of the country find considerable play in certain markets. Mostly it seems they're hometown hero acts.

But, not having really paid attention to current radio formats in over twenty years, it's heartening to know that the turntable hit lives, even though it's virtually impossible to put any "spin" on the concept in practice at a modern radio station.

Quote Originally Posted by joebtsflk1 View Post
    But, not having really paid attention to current radio formats in over twenty years, it's heartening to know that the turntable hit lives, even though it's virtually impossible to put any "spin" on the concept in practice at a modern radio station.
    I'm not sure if he's looking this as a Gen Xer who is describing something that is becoming less common, at least in terms of music, because of the way music today is consumed vs the way it was consumed when he was in college 16 years ago. The interesting part is it deals with the heart of what local radio is dealing with in the age of the world wide web. In a way, yes there is a local community, but in other ways, music is no longer limited by geography in the way that food typically is.