• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM on FM-HD

I know that WFLA-960 is rebroadcast on 97.9 HD-2. Does anyone know of any other Tampa Bay area AM's that are rebroadcast on FM-HD subchannels? Note I am only asking about HD subchannel rebroadcasts and not translators.

Thanks for your help.

Larry

WQYK 99.5 HD2 is rebroadcasting WHFS 1010 Moneytalk.

Also over in Polk County, WWRZ 98.3 rebroadcasts WLKF 1430 (talk) on HD2 and WONN 1230 (standards) on HD4. (at least I think they still do, as WWRZ is no longer receivable here in Pinellas due to WWBA's translator at the same frequency).

Last edited:
I know that WFLA-960 is rebroadcast on 97.9 HD-2. Does anyone know of any other Tampa Bay area AM's that are rebroadcast on FM-HD subchannels? Note I am only asking about HD subchannel rebroadcasts and not translators.

Thanks for your help.

Larry

I know this is not AM on FM, but 89.1 WSMR Sarasota is on 89.7 WUSF-HD2 since WSMR's signal is not that well.

_620 WDAE 95.7.3 & 100.7.2
_970 WFLA 97.9.2
1010 WHFS 99.5.2

(interesting,
I have to post anything outside of that formatting
in order to keep the call letters UPPER CASE)

Last edited:
I believe you, but I recently heard what I *think* might have been the same game on both sub-channel, maybe it was a screw-up.

I do hear 620 WDAE on 95.7.3 but I hear music on 100.7.2.

I have a question. Do stations encode for Nielsen differently for the AM station and the FM HD station, and would they then have an estimate of how many people are listening to the HD? Also, if an AM station has a LPFM, would they encode differently on the LPFM and thus have an estimate for listeners on FM vs AM? I used to work in radio but I have been out of it for a long time and I don't know this sort of information.

At least Tampa has more station in HD Radio than in Gainesville. There's only three here.

Besides WDAE, the Tampa Bay Rays games also air on "Throwback 94.5 / 105.9 / 99.1".... which means they're also on 100.7 HD2 since that's the parent signal for the three translators. That's the game you probably heard.

Besides WDAE, the Tampa Bay Rays games also air on "Throwback...
...since that's the parent signal for the three translators.
That's the game you probably heard.
YES!

Last edited:
Actually Bulls Radio for University of South Florida can be heard at 1620 AM in the vicinity of the University. I was listening to it in my car today and when 1620 could not be heard I flipped it over to WUSF FM HD3 on my car radio and continued to listen to Bulls Radio.

Last edited:
...Bulls Radio...can be heard at 1620 AM in the vicinity of the University....and...WUSF...HD3
I guess that maybe, sort of, kind of qualifies.

89.7.3 Bulls Radio
95.7.3 WDAE 620
97.9.2 WFLA 970
99.5.2 WHFS 1010

Last edited:
It appears to be a practice of placing your AM on a HD-x of one of your HD-FMs when you put a translator on the air, regardless of the signal of that FM.

WFLA has had the 97.9-2 for over 10 years. Maybe close to 15. I remember hearing Bubba on 970 one morning and came to the conclusion, several years later when I got my first HD radio, that they must have tried to take the 97.9-2 feed and retransmit that over the 970 signal. When it lost the HD-2 signal overnight, the receiver at the transmitter reverted back to the main signal and had to be manually tuned back to the -2. It was the only time I heard that happened so I assumed it was an experiment that failed. It was a noble effort considering the HD's buffer and the 97.7-2 is about 30 seconds behind the 970 signal. This was a way of syncing the 2 signals. Since then, 970 has added two translators, which are useless to me. 97.9 is too far away for a dependable -2 signal. It will be ok for awhile, then goes away for awhile. Now, I listen to them on a Grace internet radio.

WSRZ-2 has carried 1450 since 103.9 came on the air.

I am seeing where WCCF in Punta Gorda is looking for a translator on 100.9. I imagine I'll hear 1580 on an HD-2, soon.

There are so many possibilities with the HD-x's, it is almost a crime more use isn't made of them.

Of course, we SOBs, don't seem matter to the Tampa clusters anyway.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

By putting the AM programming on an HD2 they can place an FM translator anywhere within the 60dbu signal of the FM station. Most of the time it allows them to place an FM translator with the AM programming outside of the area they would be allowed to put a translator for the AM signal alone.

Cox also has WSUN, 97X on the WHPT-HD2 to extend the 97X coverage south. They also have WHPT, The Bone, on the WSUN-HD2 signal. This extends the WHPT coverage north.

I just retired as Chief Engineer for Cox Media Group Tampa. It used to be if the HD went off air, no one cared, now they get phone calls. Running -14dbc, 4% HD power. HD equals out the HD to FM signal to where the coverage matches pretty good with the HD sometimes having better coverage than the FM. Cox is running -14dbc on all stations except WSUN which has FCC permission to run -10dbc, 10% HD power.

I LOVE MY HD RADIO!

More radios are coming through with the HD option in the higher valued cars.
I still listen to 970 on 97.9-2 with a Visteon Jump whenever I am NOB.

By putting the AM programming on an HD2 they can place an FM translator...outside of the area they would be allowed to put a translator for the AM signal alone.
That was very well explained, "a translator cannot extend a station's coverage", but it can supplement it..
If I had written the rule, I would have specified that a translator must translate the parent station in full, in whole, intact:
analogue audio, stereo pilot and sidebands, RBDS, all SCAs and HD components, and whatever else floats down the river.

I am seeing where WCCF in Punta Gorda is looking for a translator on 100.9. I imagine I'll hear 1580 on an HD-2, soon.

I doubt IHM will invest in HD for any of the Punta Gorda stations.........rfrus congrats on the retirement, but knowing you it's likely you will still busy, cheers my friend - Chris

I do hear 620 WDAE on 95.7.3 but I hear music on 100.7.2.

I have a question. Do stations encode for Nielsen differently for the AM station and the FM HD station, and would they then have an estimate of how many people are listening to the HD? Also, if an AM station has a LPFM, would they encode differently on the LPFM and thus have an estimate for listeners on FM vs AM? I used to work in radio but I have been out of it for a long time and I don't know this sort of information.

Nielsen requires separate coding for each facility. The exception is the Analog FM and its digital HD (1) total simulcast. They are encoded together. But an HD-2, HD-3 or beyond has separate encoding. And the facility the HD is rebroadcasting, if any, is separately encoded. So are translators. And web streams.

However, in the case of any two simulcasts (AM and Translator, HD-2 and translator, station and web stream) if the content is 100% identical on both streams (a couple of exceptions exist for, mostly, blacked out sports) the station can ask for Total Line Reporting, where the different sources are listed under a single Nielsen identifier.

........rfrus congrats on the retirement, but knowing you it's likely you will still busy, cheers my friend - Chris

Thanks Chris. Yes, still keeping busy with contract and consulting work. I still need my weekly dose of RF. :) Ed

........rfrus congrats on the retirement, but knowing you it's likely you will still busy, cheers my friend - Chris

Thanks Chris. Yes, still keeping busy with contract and consulting work. I still need my weekly dose of RF. :) Ed

So, I guess, rf are still u...

When I heard Bubba on 970WFLA that morning, years ago, it was in the days before PPM. since the AM was pulling off of the HD-2, today, the PPM would have been retransmitted from the HD-2 through 970. However, since it was a 100% retransmission, it would have been treated the same as one station. Could be confusing if they were looking for HD listening vs. AM. As it was, it would appear the "HD as parent station experiment" failed and I never heard it again.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom