Stations should revive Quadraphonic to attract more listeners - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stations should revive Quadraphonic to attract more listeners

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Kaimbridge View Post
    I'm not anywheres near San Antonio (I'm a Beantown Boy! P=), so I have no clue about the SA market or the station you are talking about, but I'm guessing that AM station has an FM translator to match, in which case the tail is wagging the dog (i.e., the AM is just there to feed the FM).
    In this case the oldies AM, KONO, is there to complement what is one of the top couple of stations in 25-54 and in revenue, Cox’s classic hits KONO-FM which carries on a call letter brand that goes back many decades to when it was a Top 40 station.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 06-06-2018 at 01:17 AM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

More likely the FM feeding the AM. Cheap STL.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The ill-fated WQIV-FM in NYC marketed itself around quadraphonic in 1974. It lasted a year. Of course there were other factors, but the quad moniker didn't help them then. I doubt it would make a difference now.
    WBCN Boston also did around that time. Their method caused a somewhat out-of-phase sound on a conventional two-channel FM stereo receiver, and some phase cancellation on a mono receiver.

Harris Exciters

The old MS15 and MX15 Harris exciters had a marked card slot for "Quad" in the front. I think I have one of each version in storage; find that card then name your price and four glorious channels of non-decodeable audio could be hanging on your carrier too. The MX15 handles low bass processing wayyyyy better than the unmodified MS15, though. Keep that in mind if you plan to move into the 1990's and attempt some type of 5.1 modulation. That LFE channel might send the MS into carrier-related hysterics.

Sorry, just rambling in jest on a Monday morning. More coffee, please....
    -D

The FCC finally did adopt a standard for broadcasting quadraphonic FM -- in 1983, long after the quad fad had passed, so nobody cared about it anymore. (Fun fact: compact discs were originally designed to support quad as well, but nobody ever made use of it, so it was removed from the Red Book standard in the late '80s.)

But I remember circa 2005 there was a big push to get HD Radio to support 5.1 channel surround sound -- Orban and Omnia even talked about introducing surround sound-capable audio processors for it. But splitting HD into subchannels quickly became the more attractive idea, and it's hard enough to get even acceptable-quality stereo sound out of 24 kbps, let alone 5.1 surround sound...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Kaimbridge View Post
    I'm not anywheres near San Antonio (I'm a Beantown Boy! P=), so I have no clue about the SA market or the station you are talking about, but I'm guessing that AM station has an FM translator to match, in which case the tail is wagging the dog (i.e., the AM is just there to feed the FM).
    Actually KONO AM 860 doesn't have their FM translator 92.3 on yet, and filed it after switching back to Oldies from Sports as the Big 86 KONO. KONO was the heritage Oldies station back in the 80's which at a time competed with Magic 105.3, and 99.5 KISS. KONO flipped to Oldies around 1987 or so and didn't have an FM counterpart until 1990 when they LMA'd KFAN 101.1 which at the time the COL was in Fredericksburg. But they also now stream with the Big 86 app.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12