KVI revamps lineup, upgrades Kirby Wilbur - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KVI revamps lineup, upgrades Kirby Wilbur

Re: hope for KVI
    I actually liked the full service approach to Oldies they took a few years ago, even if it was the worst business decision I've ever seen. I found myself flipping it on occasionally, especially one day when I was way too excited and needed to calm down. The fact that there were two fm competitors is what killed that format.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    I actually liked the full service approach to Oldies they took a few years ago, even if it was the worst business decision I've ever seen. I found myself flipping it on occasionally, especially one day when I was way too excited and needed to calm down. The fact that there were two fm competitors is what killed that format.
    Fisher, who owned KVI at the time, had the opportunity to acquire KMCQ and simulcast KVI on FM...they decided against it. KVI still could've been oldies today if they had made that move.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    Rearranging deck chairs on the AM version of the Titanic.
    Yep...it is just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    And if that was tried again, the results would be even less impressive. Nobody, not even 55+ who grew up listening to AM music stations would listen to music on AM today. Inferior audio quality combined with a significant increase in terrestrial noise/interference, and AM stations playing music is a non-starter. (or re-starter as the case may be.)
    Last edited by Kelly A; 06-03-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Piotrowski View Post
    Where is it "more local"? Carlson, Wilbur and Larson ("Northwest oriented") were already in the lineup. All that's changed is adding another syndicated show.
    My point was that they didn't go in a more national direction.

The syndicated show is a show from Portland, and one of the guys has lived in Seattle apparently.

Otherwise, yeah, I see your point. I wish they would have gotten rid of Hannity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    Rearranging deck chairs on the AM version of the Titanic.
    Probably true, except they do have advertisements, and they do make some money.

Quote Originally Posted by seatownmedia View Post
    I root for KVI. They are one of the original Seattle 3-letter calls that still exist, and they have a great history. I'm glad they are trying to keep the thing alive. Remember, this station has a huge heritage with a successful MOR format in the 50's-70's, then a stint as oldies in the 80's that actually was pretty good as live and local. Then they kind of lost their way, but they still have a lot of potential. I wish them good luck, though with Sinclair as owner, I don't want to predict the future.
    KKK is also only three letters.

Quote Originally Posted by AQH View Post
    KKK is also only three letters.
    But that's not a set of call letters, Hank. You can be classier than that.

Quote Originally Posted by KXA View Post
    Fisher, who owned KVI at the time, had the opportunity to acquire KMCQ and simulcast KVI on FM...they decided against it. KVI still could've been oldies today if they had made that move.
    Everything is for sale and anyone has the "opportunity to acquire" anything. If the acquisition cost is too much and through analysis you determine that there is no prospects for return on that investment, you pass. I'm sure every group looked KMCQ over and did the analysis, only to determine that it was too much money for a partial-market signal.

Is it 2001? Or 2005? Or 2009? This is KVI's MO - move stuff around every couple of years. Put Carlson on KOMO, bring him back, then move his shift around. Fire Kirby, bring him back, then move his shift around. Yawn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast