• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KVI revamps lineup, upgrades Kirby Wilbur

discjockeyj1964

New Participating Member
KVI Talkradio 570 is revamping its lineup as of this Monday, June 4. Kirby Wilbur, one of the first local hosts on KVI when it first flipped to conservative talk in the early 90's, will now host a live, daily talk show in the 3-6 pm afternoon slot.

The new lineup:

6:00 am - 9:00 am The Commute with Carlson, hosted by John Carlson (live,local)
9:00 am - 12 Noon Jamie Markley & Dave Van Camp (syndicated, live)
Noon - 3:00 pm The Lars Larson Show (Northwest edition, live)
3:00 pm - 6:00 pm The Kirby Wilbur Show (live, local)
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm The Sean Hannity Show (syndicated, tape delay)
9:00 pm - Midnight The Savage Nation, hosted by Michael Savage (syndicated, tape delay)
Midnight - 3:00 am The Red Eye Show (syndicated, live)
3:00 am - 6:00 am The Lars Larson Show (national edition, syndicated, tape delay)

ABC News on the hour, local headlines from the KOMO 24 hour news center at the half hour.

That's an interesting lineup. When I was going to school in Portland, I used to love Robbins and Markley, so that 9:00-noon show should be a good one. Apparently Scott Robbins is back somewhere else after a heart attack. The one question is, isn't Hanity on KTTH? If not, who's in Hanity's live timeslot?

Hey, now that's compelling radio. The "upgrade" should take KVI to #1!

No, but at least it's more local and Northwest oriented. Instead of the same national hosts, as there is on many conservative talk stations -- many of those hosts seem to parrot each other a bit too often.

No, but at least it's more local and Northwest oriented. Instead of the same national hosts, as there is on many conservative talk stations -- many of those hosts seem to parrot each other a bit too often.

I root for KVI. They are one of the original Seattle 3-letter calls that still exist, and they have a great history. I'm glad they are trying to keep the thing alive. Remember, this station has a huge heritage with a successful MOR format in the 50's-70's, then a stint as oldies in the 80's that actually was pretty good as live and local. Then they kind of lost their way, but they still have a lot of potential. I wish them good luck, though with Sinclair as owner, I don't want to predict the future.

Where is it "more local"? Carlson, Wilbur and Larson ("Northwest oriented") were already in the lineup. All that's changed is adding another syndicated show.

Rearranging deck chairs on the AM version of the Titanic.

But this is Sinclair we are talking about...they would rather pay a salvage company (using profits from the other stations) to raise the ship back up and pretend it never sank in the first place.

All they have to do is be able to have the 3 stations as a cluster “in the black” to justify its existence as a small group within the company.

Re: hope for KVI
I actually liked the full service approach to Oldies they took a few years ago, even if it was the worst business decision I've ever seen. I found myself flipping it on occasionally, especially one day when I was way too excited and needed to calm down. The fact that there were two fm competitors is what killed that format.

I actually liked the full service approach to Oldies they took a few years ago, even if it was the worst business decision I've ever seen. I found myself flipping it on occasionally, especially one day when I was way too excited and needed to calm down. The fact that there were two fm competitors is what killed that format.

Fisher, who owned KVI at the time, had the opportunity to acquire KMCQ and simulcast KVI on FM...they decided against it. KVI still could've been oldies today if they had made that move.

And if that was tried again, the results would be even less impressive. Nobody, not even 55+ who grew up listening to AM music stations would listen to music on AM today. Inferior audio quality combined with a significant increase in terrestrial noise/interference, and AM stations playing music is a non-starter. (or re-starter as the case may be.)

Last edited:
Where is it "more local"? Carlson, Wilbur and Larson ("Northwest oriented") were already in the lineup. All that's changed is adding another syndicated show.

My point was that they didn't go in a more national direction.

The syndicated show is a show from Portland, and one of the guys has lived in Seattle apparently.

Otherwise, yeah, I see your point. I wish they would have gotten rid of Hannity.

I root for KVI. They are one of the original Seattle 3-letter calls that still exist, and they have a great history. I'm glad they are trying to keep the thing alive. Remember, this station has a huge heritage with a successful MOR format in the 50's-70's, then a stint as oldies in the 80's that actually was pretty good as live and local. Then they kind of lost their way, but they still have a lot of potential. I wish them good luck, though with Sinclair as owner, I don't want to predict the future.

KKK is also only three letters.

Fisher, who owned KVI at the time, had the opportunity to acquire KMCQ and simulcast KVI on FM...they decided against it. KVI still could've been oldies today if they had made that move.

Everything is for sale and anyone has the "opportunity to acquire" anything. If the acquisition cost is too much and through analysis you determine that there is no prospects for return on that investment, you pass. I'm sure every group looked KMCQ over and did the analysis, only to determine that it was too much money for a partial-market signal.

Is it 2001? Or 2005? Or 2009? This is KVI's MO - move stuff around every couple of years. Put Carlson on KOMO, bring him back, then move his shift around. Fire Kirby, bring him back, then move his shift around. Yawn.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom