• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KVI revamps lineup, upgrades Kirby Wilbur

I miss KVI when it was Grandpa's MOR station: Gentle personality filled with Bob Hardwick, Jack Morton, J. Michael Kenyon, Music by Sinatra. Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis mixed with super safe '70s stuff like Bread, Helen Reddy, Wayne Newton and Crystal Gayle. News twice an hour, Mariners games, Folksy, but genuine. They were the perfect soundtrack to a Geritol trip.

I miss KVI when it was Grandpa's MOR station: Gentle personality filled with Bob Hardwick, Jack Morton, J. Michael Kenyon, Music by Sinatra. Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis mixed with super safe '70s stuff like Bread, Helen Reddy, Wayne Newton and Crystal Gayle. News twice an hour, Mariners games, Folksy, but genuine. They were the perfect soundtrack to a Geritol trip.

Even after they moved to conservative talk, Dick Curtis' newscasts were a throwback.

I can remember being in high school in the late 90s, in the car with my dad, hearing Dick Curtis and asking "has this guy been around since forever...?" and my dad would respond "oh yeah, I remember him from thirty years ago."

Even after they moved to conservative talk, Dick Curtis' newscasts were a throwback.

I can remember being in high school in the late 90s, in the car with my dad, hearing Dick Curtis and asking "has this guy been around since forever...?" and my dad would respond "oh yeah, I remember him from thirty years ago."

I remember him from 10 hours ago. We just had lunch!! He's doing well.

I remember him from 10 hours ago. We just had lunch!! He's doing well.

Glad he is doing well, our paths crossed a few times.
Had to drop my dog off for surgery today, in downtown, so I dropped by a few studios and said hello to some friends. The dog is doing good, will be home in a day.

Good to hear, LBB. I also had a connection to Mr. Curtis. He was always very professional and very encouraging to up and coming broadcasters like myself back in the 80's. Nothing but good thoughts!

There were three news-voices who left/retired/were pushed out of the KOMO/KVI newsroom within one year before the launch of KOMO 1000 News.

Lan Archer
Bill Swartz
Dick Curtis

I always wondered what that first KOMO line up would have sounded like, had the three of them still been on payroll when the station launched.

Remember KVI's first stab at talk radio in the early '80s?

Even Hardwick quit in disgust when he found out about it. During a news break in mid-shift.

It was Dr. Radio. All-day radio psychologists, Dr. Toni Grant (syndicated radio psychologist), Dr. Jennifer James (local radio psychologist), Dr. Gayle Delaney (dream analyst - what?) Matched with another evening radio psychologist (a guy I can't remember. It could have been Michael Jackson - the British guy) before all night blabber with Larry King at 11pm. It reeked of California at a time when the California migration to Seattle was new and irritably noticeable to our more curmudgeonly long time locals of the time and not yet a quite the thorough takeover as it is today.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom