Thread: Majority of UK Radio Listening Is Now Digital, RAJAR Data Shows

Majority of UK Radio Listening Is Now Digital, RAJAR Data Shows

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    That figure includes streaming of all kinds.

"Digital listening share is comprised of listening across all digital platforms: DAB in homes and in cars, apps and online (which includes the growing number of smart and voice-controlled speakers) and DTV — and this is the first time that listening to digital has been greater than analog platforms — FM and AM."
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I dunno, FM switchoff still feels a long way off here. Perhaps it's because at 44 I'm now relatively old- quite possibly most gen Z British kids don't even know if their phone has an FM tuner let alone use it.

Cars will be one of the biggest hurdles, I think.

Personally I'm hoping when FM switchoff finally comes the spare frequencies will be licenced for small scale local stations, but I've a feeling the mobile networks and the big radio groups (in the UK that means Global, Bauer and obviously the BBC) will conspire to make sure that doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BMR View Post

Personally I'm hoping when FM switchoff finally comes the spare frequencies will be licenced for small scale local stations,
    Only if the FCC throws away most of the rules & regulations. I can't see any small scale operator spending the money on engineering & legal that the FCC rules currently require. Not to mention the cost for towers, transmitters, and their respective locations.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Only if the FCC throws away most of the rules & regulations. I can't see any small scale operator spending the money on engineering & legal that the FCC rules currently require. Not to mention the cost for towers, transmitters, and their respective locations.
    We are talking about the UK here, so the FCC don't have much say!!

We are talking about the UK here, so the FCC don't have much say!!
    Same question applies: What "small local stations" will spend the money on towers, transmitters, etc when they don't have to?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Same question applies: What "small local stations" will spend the money on towers, transmitters, etc when they don't have to?
    My point is that I'm hoping OFCOM (closest thing we have to FCC) will relax the rules to allow lots of small scale stations on FM once the BBC nationals, and the larger local/regional stations like Capital and Heart have gone digital only.

But I fear the large commercial groups won't like the competition, and the mobile networks will be eyeing the spectrum greedily in any case.

My point is that I'm hoping OFCOM (closest thing we have to FCC) will relax the rules to allow lots of small scale stations on FM once the BBC nationals, and the larger local/regional stations like Capital and Heart have gone digital only.
    Once again, where would they get the money?