Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ads before you listen

Quote Originally Posted by Oldie919 View Post
    Curious how geo-targeting is controlled.....
    I listen to iHeart Radio's Real Oldies channel (from WRIT/HD2, Milwaukee) nearly every morning from ~ 4:00 to 5;30 AM....MOST of the time, the ad block is run at ~ :50 past the hour....
    AND....it's national spots along with iHeart promos....
    But, perhaps once or twice in a month, I'll get local "drop-ins" -- the same 2 or 3 run on each break --- then, back to national stuff.....??!
    Who -- or WHAT -- controls who gets the local spots....and WHEN??
    NOTE: This is on my home PC.....NOT a mobile app.....if that makes any difference......

IP address is how they detect where you are.. and as to when you get them? Whenever they have a client whos paid for it

I live in Knoxville, TN and am in the Asheville NC area frequently. I listen to WLW most mornings and for the longest time was getting several ads an hour from a VW dealership in Asheville

Now this is weird. These ads have aired several times today. If I buy frozen vegetables I get double points. Though I don't like frozen vegetables. But this knowledge is coming from a station way outside the area where this chain has stores.

Another weird ad. An electric cooperative that serves rural customers in several counties in my area. Obviously not in Wisconsin, but the ad reached someone who … well, I don't really get to choose my electric utility. I'm in the big corporation's territory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12