• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ads before you listen

vchimpanzee

Walk of Fame Participant
I've never had this happen. I start hearing the stream right away on most stations. 105.5 Hank FM in Myrtle Beach SC had me listening to commercials both times I tried it. The first time I thought it was a coincidence but the second time it couldn't have been. Especially since I landed in the middle of the song afterward.

What app was this on? I've had it happen on Pandora, You Tube, and Spotify, so it won't surprise for me for it to happen on IHeart, Tune In, etc.

Starting with an ad is normal for many streaming operations. That's how they can let you listen for free. If you don't like ads, get ready to pay.

Starting with an ad is normal for many streaming operations. That's how they can let you listen for free. If you don't like ads, get ready to pay.
The streams have commercials in them and I sometimes listen to those. I'm trying to listen to two radio stations at once and the one I prefer is the one where I hear the most commercials. and that one is on TiVo. Until today, and then not again until Christmas.

Actually, the stream had display ads. I kept going back to the site to turn the sound off for songs I didn't like and kept seeing an ad for a product I eventually bought.

This has happened twice this week. I turned on an iHeart station which is heard on AM radio in Wisconsin but can be heard anywhere using iHeart or another streaming site.

Even though the station runs ads, I heard a commercial for Westwood One (which happens to supply the music on the radio station). It seemed to be running at the wrong time and the next song started in the middle. Since it happened again today, and because the commercial started exactly when I started listening, it's clear they're doing this.

Even weirder, one of the commercials on the radio station was for a business in my area. It does not operate in Wisconsin where the AM station is. The ad specifically mentions gas station points which can be used at the grocery store chain (where the stores have gas pumps, which is not the case at either of the stores in the chain that I go to) or at BP.

This has happened twice this week. I turned on an iHeart station which is heard on AM radio in Wisconsin but can be heard anywhere using iHeart or another streaming site.

Even though the station runs ads, I heard a commercial for Westwood One (which happens to supply the music on the radio station). It seemed to be running at the wrong time and the next song started in the middle. Since it happened again today, and because the commercial started exactly when I started listening, it's clear they're doing this.

Even weirder, one of the commercials on the radio station was for a business in my area. It does not operate in Wisconsin where the AM station is. The ad specifically mentions gas station points which can be used at the grocery store chain (where the stores have gas pumps, which is not the case at either of the stores in the chain that I go to) or at BP.

Exactly... pre roll ads... iheart's app does this just about every time.

and streaming ads can be geo targeted to where someones listening from not where the station is

Exactly... pre roll ads... iheart's app does this just about every time.

and streaming ads can be geo targeted to where someones listening from not where the station is

Curious how geo-targeting is controlled.....
I listen to iHeart Radio's Real Oldies channel (from WRIT/HD2, Milwaukee) nearly every morning from ~ 4:00 to 5;30 AM....MOST of the time, the ad block is run at ~ :50 past the hour....
AND....it's national spots along with iHeart promos....
But, perhaps once or twice in a month, I'll get local "drop-ins" -- the same 2 or 3 run on each break --- then, back to national stuff.....??!
Who -- or WHAT -- controls who gets the local spots....and WHEN??
NOTE: This is on my home PC.....NOT a mobile app.....if that makes any difference......

Curious how geo-targeting is controlled.....
I listen to iHeart Radio's Real Oldies channel (from WRIT/HD2, Milwaukee) nearly every morning from ~ 4:00 to 5;30 AM....MOST of the time, the ad block is run at ~ :50 past the hour....
AND....it's national spots along with iHeart promos....
But, perhaps once or twice in a month, I'll get local "drop-ins" -- the same 2 or 3 run on each break --- then, back to national stuff.....??!
Who -- or WHAT -- controls who gets the local spots....and WHEN??
NOTE: This is on my home PC.....NOT a mobile app.....if that makes any difference......

IP address is how they detect where you are.. and as to when you get them? Whenever they have a client whos paid for it

I live in Knoxville, TN and am in the Asheville NC area frequently. I listen to WLW most mornings and for the longest time was getting several ads an hour from a VW dealership in Asheville

Now this is weird. These ads have aired several times today. If I buy frozen vegetables I get double points. Though I don't like frozen vegetables. But this knowledge is coming from a station way outside the area where this chain has stores.

Another weird ad. An electric cooperative that serves rural customers in several counties in my area. Obviously not in Wisconsin, but the ad reached someone who … well, I don't really get to choose my electric utility. I'm in the big corporation's territory.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom