• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Big 105.3

Call Costa Eagle Media and complain about the pirate.

Contact info is: https://www.big1053.com/contato-1

The 105.3 pirate appears to be gone and I’m now getting “Big 105.3” in Cambridge and Boston again, but there is now a new, very strong one on 88.5 today. I’m getting them all over Cambridge and Boston. Haven’t yet heard whether it’s “Big City” again, but sounds like the same music and programming.

Yup, that is our old friend "Big City" (originally 101.3, then 102 (?) something, then 100.3, then, finally, replacing "Vibe 105" on 105.3, until the FCC busted them earier this Spring). I first noted them late nite last night/early this morning.
Also, I noted the other big, unlicensed, commercial station wanna-be, on 87.7 (which also got busted the same time as "Big City"), back on the night/morning before!

87.7 is back for sure, at least as strong as before, and once again actually on 87.75, which suggests it is an analog TV channel 6 unit. If it was previously used by a full power TV station it could be easily be rated at 1000 watts or so. (Low band NTSC audio allowed around 10 KW ERP, very roughly 10 times the transmitter power.) Their ads continue - real or intended to appear so - earlier tonight pushing big screen TV's at Rent-A-Center.

87.7 is back for sure, at least as strong as before, and once again actually on 87.75, which suggests it is an analog TV channel 6 unit. If it was previously used by a full power TV station it could be easily be rated at 1000 watts or so. (Low band NTSC audio allowed around 10 KW ERP, very roughly 10 times the transmitter power.) Their ads continue - real or intended to appear so - earlier tonight pushing big screen TV's at Rent-A-Center.

This is just my humble opinion, but this whole pirate thing is only going to get increasingly more difficult to suppress.

The certainly under-loved, understaffed, underpaid FCC cannot possibly keep up with all this. I'm aware that there has always been pirate activity of some sort or other over the years, albeit not to the extent we're experiencing these days, and with the explosion of LPFM and translators, the average listener might never be able to discern the difference between duly-licensed operations and pirates. If he can even receive any of these stations, that is. It is primarily folks on these boards who come across the latter and bring it to the attention of the rest of us, who can mostly shake our heads in disgust, perhaps even despair at times. Yes, complaints are made to the FCC, the perps are sought and even put out of business temporarily, and, much like phone scammers, re-appear at a different frequency. And the legitimate operator who hoped to keep himself afloat with his LPFM or translator finds himself assaulted by these ne'er do wells.

I don't have any answers, just airing my opinion, for which I will either be slammed by some of you or banned by the moderator. In a nutshell: today's FM band is too damned crowded! If only there were a realistic way to "make FM great again!"

This is just my humble opinion, but this whole pirate thing is only going to get increasingly more difficult to suppress.

The certainly under-loved, understaffed, underpaid FCC cannot possibly keep up with all this. I'm aware that there has always been pirate activity of some sort or other over the years, albeit not to the extent we're experiencing these days, and with the explosion of LPFM and translators, the average listener might never be able to discern the difference between duly-licensed operations and pirates. If he can even receive any of these stations, that is. It is primarily folks on these boards who come across the latter and bring it to the attention of the rest of us, who can mostly shake our heads in disgust, perhaps even despair at times. Yes, complaints are made to the FCC, the perps are sought and even put out of business temporarily, and, much like phone scammers, re-appear at a different frequency. And the legitimate operator who hoped to keep himself afloat with his LPFM or translator finds himself assaulted by these ne'er do wells.

I don't have any answers, just airing my opinion, for which I will either be slammed by some of you or banned by the moderator. In a nutshell: today's FM band is too damned crowded! If only there were a realistic way to "make FM great again!"

The average listener doesn't know they are receiving a pirate's signal. In their mind a pirate is a couple of kids broadcasting a few hundred feet from a home-made transmitter with buzzes and beeps and on the air a few hours at a time. It's not hard with current technology for the pirate to sound just as good as a commercial station and stay ahead of the FCC. The pattern seems to be a sacrificial transmitter and antenna remote from the studio, most of the equipment, and the DJ's - probably linked by cable internet. The FCC finds and seizes the transmitter and antenna, gets little info from the owner of the building who was probably told it was used for tracking weather satellites, and is at a dead end. Meanwhile the pirate webcasts until finding another transmitter and convincing another clueless owner of something tall to allow it to be installed there.

So there's no reason to think there won't be more pirates.

The average listener doesn't know they are receiving a pirate's signal.

When Touch 106.1FM was on the air...they sold spots, sponsored concerts, had floats in the parade...and had candiadates stopping by to be interviewed.

Add to that the owner/operator, Charles Clemons, insisted that he was licensed, and that the call letters, WTCH-LP, were legit.

Why would a listener think this was a pirate?

The average listener doesn't know they are receiving a pirate's signal. In their mind a pirate is a couple of kids broadcasting a few hundred feet from a home-made transmitter with buzzes and beeps and on the air a few hours at a time.

Actually the average listener doesn't even know that pirate stations exist at all. They mostly think that if it's on the air, it must be legit.

In today's digital age, very few kids are interested in broadcasting a small radio signal in the neighborhood around their family house. You don't hear that anymore. I did it back around 1970, and I know others who did around then, but that seems like an eon ago.

I once did a search for Big City on Twitter to see what comments there were. Someone apparently tuned in and heard the WJIB translator and asked "Who bought Big City?" ...as if it were a legit station who owners apparently sold to Bittner.

The site for Choice 102.9 claimed to have a 2,000 watt signal and the name was for "The People (sic) Choice".Just as Touch claimed to have the calls WTCH-LP, this site also claimed to have real call letters: WCFM (which IIRC belong to the station at Williams College in Williamstown.

Eli:recall reading in the Globe about a South Shore pirate, WHDL which was started by high school kids who said the calls stood for We Hate Dumb Listeners or We had Hot Dogs for Lunch.I recalled picking them up in Salem and they gave out a phone number which was a South Shore exchange.Globe said the feds caught them after they increased power.

Eli:recall reading in the Globe about a South Shore pirate, WHDL which was started by high school kids who said the calls stood for We Hate Dumb Listeners or We had Hot Dogs for Lunch.I recalled picking them up in Salem and they gave out a phone number which was a South Shore exchange.Globe said the feds caught them after they increased power.

Yes, I heard it back then, I think it was in the '90s.

The 105.3 FM translator appears to be off the air for the past couple of days.

I haven't listened during the daytime and haven't been close enough to Methuen at night to check out 1570 AM.

Maybe easing into a B105.3 identity? Promo says listeners can sign up for "B-mail" and B105.3 and Big105.3 ("the Bay State's Biggest Hits") were used in the promo.

B as in Boston, or Big. The day signal of 1570 is 50 kW, nights much less, from Andover while 105.3 is out of Medford and hemmed in by the likes of the Shark 105.3 Kittery.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom