• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Memo to Bill Turner regarding KYND

Mediafrog+

Walk of Fame Participant
The audio on the promo loop running on KYND 1520 is very, very low. Makes the signal sound quite feeble. Not the sort of thing you want going on when you are looking for paying clients or a new owner. The difference is very obvious when you compare the 1520 audio to other stations on the local AM band. Please check!!!

The KYND audio was back to good levels at a Thursday morning check. The day before it had been virtually nonexistent; basically dead air.

Perhaps Bill is reading the forum again.

Meanwhile KYND has been without a paying client for almost nine months. Wonder if they’ve had any serious offers on the station sale?

You are forgetting I am monitoring the station and/or the transmitter as part of my job. So, generally if I'm not listening, I'm monitoring the transmitter. In that instance, it might be a few minutes between looks at the transmitter. I've likely called the engineer before you notice. And I read the forums too. You might even notice a problem before I do if I'm, say, having lunch with a potential client. Even when I'm, away, our engineer watches the station. I monitor the transmitter while away and have the phone in my pocket, even on vacation.

What app do you use to monitor the transmitter? Just curious.

No app. I have the IP and codes. Only thing I dislike about that is the codes always go out of date and I have to remember a new set...some security feature I suppose.

I understand so it's basically just through your Internet browser. Cool.

Today I found KYND running a prerecorded mix of oldies, replacing the client appeal looped message. Perhaps they have found a new client that is not ready to launch, or perhaps have a prospective new owner?

KQQB was running oldies with the message every so often last I checked.

KYND was blasting into North Texas today, much to my surprise wiping out any trace of KOMA/KOKC. Caught Bob Seger "Fire Lake", Stevie Wonder "Superstitious", Midnight Runners "Come On Eileen", Paul Simon "Mother And Child Reunion".

Heard some DJ banter but it happened during fades making it hard to tell exactly who it was.

That was certainly KYND. Getting in to North Texas is rare for us.Not since Hurricane Harvey have we haunted North Texas radios. After Harvey we were messing with KOKC in Oklahoma City. I surmised the ground system was floating at that point. I doubt there had been that much moisture in the ground since radio was invented. It has been hot and dry here so, a heavy rain didn't cause your reception this time.

That was certainly KYND. Getting in to North Texas is rare for us.Not since Hurricane Harvey have we haunted North Texas radios. After Harvey we were messing with KOKC in Oklahoma City. I surmised the ground system was floating at that point. I doubt there had been that much moisture in the ground since radio was invented. It has been hot and dry here so, a heavy rain didn't cause your reception this time.

I can certainly say I can't recall ever catching KYND before, it was as strong as KGOW normally is before they power down. For a moment I thought KOKC flipped formats!

I can certainly say I can't recall ever catching KYND before, it was as strong as KGOW normally is before they power down. For a moment I thought KOKC flipped formats!

Good story, LibertyNT, I'm guessing you received KYND in North Texas close to sunset or just after sunrise, when AM daytime signals tend to travel the farthest.

Good story, LibertyNT, I'm guessing you received KYND in North Texas close to sunset or just after sunrise, when AM daytime signals tend to travel the farthest.

Distant reception of KYND would have to be after sunrise, as the station appears to be running a limited schedule. At numerous recent checks I have not found KYND on the air between 6pm and sunset, and a 4:30pm check this past Friday also showed no sign of KYND.

The situation at KYND is certainly not good, as they have not had a paying client in almost a year, and there has been no news of a sale of the station. Bill Turner is probably not at liberty to say what is going on, but KYND ownership continues to burn money keeping the station on the air, even with limited hours.

As I said on another thread, we are probably at a saturation point for the “brokered time” business model in the Houston market.

Yes, no client for so long has hurt all of us in the pocketbook. The station is running until 3 pm at this point. Some maintenance taking place on the 30th. Hint: the 1st isn't far away.

The 1st of August is here and the expected changed may or may not happen. I could sure use some leads just in case.

The 1st of August is here and the expected changes may or may not happen. I could sure use some leads just in case.

Wasn't sure what the reference to August 1st meant, but I think KYND has been silent since then. A 25K signal and nobody's interested - I wonder why parties on lesser signals like 1050, 1090, 1110, 1230, 1460, and 1480 haven't jumped on to KYND. Any hope for the future, Bill?

My August 1 guy didn't work out.

I vented to some friends. See below. Meanwhile, since writing that I have 3 leads. Each one a long shot.

I'm putting the station on a day or two a week for not be permanently silent, mostly when someone wants to 'run the signal'. I'm trying to save my owners some money in hopes I won't be job hunting.

RADIO HAS BEAT ME TO A PULP

As some of you know I have a day job managing a radio station in a top 10 market. I've been with the station 25 years as of last month.

My market is 113 radio signals. 17 stations do what we do. We lease our broadcast day. We are a daytime only without a translator but a good signal.

It can be the easiest and yet the hardest job in radio. When you have a client, it is easy. You just keep things on the air and the check coming in. When you don't have a client it is the hardest.

The reality is it is a sign of weakness to 'need a station'. It is a weakness for a station to 'need a client'. Nobody knows who is looking for a station and a station does not know who needs a station. It's usually an introduction or the entity happens to find you. At least selling businesses, you know it is a numbers game. Call on so many businesses and you'll find a yes.

There are 17 stations in my market doing what we do. The demand is less than that, driving down prices. I am thinking my owners didn't get that at first. After all, that was not the case when the last client bought.

That last client broke their contract with about 2 hours notice. They didn't pay and said they were broke but were on another station the next day. That was last September.

I took a pay cut. I lowered expenses. I still had to pull from savings.

I began my hunt. I found several good ones but my owners wanted too much per month. By the time they lowered the rate, those good ones found a radio home for the dollar amount they wanted.

In November I was told we were going dark in December if I didn't have a client. I was scared.

In late November, I found a plum potential client. We worked out a deal. He used us to get a better rate at another station after a month of negotiating.

January came with a 50% pay cut. More trimming expenses in store. It is bare bones and I still tap savings.

My owners stayed with it but put the station up for sale. If they found a buyer, as is the case in radio, the staff isn't retained.

June came around. My owners said my job was done June 1 and the station was going dark.

I had a lead. I worked it. The offer was not anything my owners would say yes to but I took it in and they gave it the okay. Sure we'd lose lots of money for months but it was a start. The start date was to be August 1.

It's August 1. He didn't start. He didn't pay. They'd keep the station if I found a client.

I am trying to save this but I don't think I can. The client wants to run promos in August then start in September, giving us a check September 1. He wants a month of benefit free while my owners foot all the bills.

I'm tired and feel beaten to a pulp. There have been deadlines where you never knew if you had a job or a paycheck the next day. Today might be my last day at the station.

I pity my owners that have hung in there. They are in the same boat as me. Radio can be a cruel mistress. It's no different than any other business.

I feel I need a long vacation but I know I had better not spend a dime. I have run through too much of my savings already.

Radio has taught me to keep watch for that glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel even though you are getting all too familiar with the bottom of the barrel. You learn to walk the tight rope without a net. You carry on.

I'm not the only one. Last week I talked to a guy in the same boat. Years of hard work and dedication only to have the rug pulled out from under him squashing his future like a bug. He is trying to create his future from thin air. He did all the right things. Life isn't fair.

My lease is up at my place. If I have a job, a client, that's fine. If not, that's another situation all together. While I have almost a decade to put in to radio before retiring, I have seen my age and being 'over qualified' being a negative. I'll have to find something. I want it to be in radio because I love radio. I'll have to move if I'm done here.

I'm lucky. I started behind the microphone 40 years ago, then programming, then to sales and then management. I can pinch hit in most positions in a station. I may not be the best but I can hold my own without a chip on my shoulder. My love of radio and my experience make me an asset. I'm constantly learning.

So, I'm just venting. I'm looking for that glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Meanwhile I carry on. I always have and it always worked out. It will this time too.

By the way, my owners rejected the revision. I thought they would. If I had to make that decision, I would have done the same. I'm back to square one. I'm working two leads. It's not promising. You just never know, the next call might be the one.

Thank you, Bill, for detailing the difficult realities of radio time/format leasing. Knowledge, courage, and determination - you have it all. Best wishes on the two existing leads.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom