• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What do you hear: WBU or WBZ?

nowradioguy

Star Participant
WBZ has been running this ad for Alexa. What I hear is:

Female voice: “Alexa, make me smarter: play WBU Newsradio 1030.”

The rest of the ad is fine, in that the other voices clearly say WBZ.

Has anyone else noticed this?

WBZ has been running this ad for Alexa.

That's not an ad for Alexa. It's a promo for WBZ telling listeners (many of whom no longer have home radios) that they can listen to WBZ on another kind of device.

WRKO has a similar spot.

On top of hour IDs for WBZ the recorded announcer says "WBZ and WBZ in HD Boston" (and mentions the 107.9 HD2).
"WBZ in HD" sounds a bit like "WBCN HD" ( or WBZN HD)

A lot of the radio companies have special arrangements with Amazon to educate listeners to using their Echo or other device to hear OTA radio.

http://www.alexaskillstore.com/developer/iHeartRadio

As does Sirius XM. The sports channels often play spots telling listeners how they can hear their favorite teams' games with Alexa. "Alexa, play the New York Yankees on Sirius XM." or "Alexa, play Channel 176 on Sirius XM." will both work.

That's not an ad for Alexa. It's a promo for WBZ telling listeners (many of whom no longer have home radios) that they can listen to WBZ on another kind of device.

OK, so maybe it's not an ad for Alexa, and I understand why iHeart is doing this, but just about everyone here (save for Cap-n Spackle) is missing my point, which is that the female voice sounds as if she's saying "Play WBU Newsradio 1030."

Oh, and racoonerman: the TOH ID is:

"WBZ, Boston. WXKS-FM HD2, Medford. An iHeart Radio station." (I believe it's the voice of J.J. Wright.) And there's no mention of HD for WBZ-AM; that was in their older CBS Radio ID. (I had to ask a former colleague who has an HD receiver in his car if WBZ-AM still broadcasts in HD; it does.)

My hearing may not be the greatest, but it's not that far gone, and this is what I'm hearing, whether from a REAL AM receiver or my iHeartRadio streaming app.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom