• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dick Biondi Out at WLS

In Feder's column this morning, it is reported Dick's relationship with the station has ended. At 85, he's long past his prime physically...though I was amazed to see him going strong at 80. The man has a photographic mind and it's my understanding he is still on his game mentally. Unfortunately, there are few outlets for a man of his talents and breadth of musical history in today's media. And if his physical ailments are anywhere near what has been printed in the past, I'm not sure anyone would want to invest in bringing him on for anything long term. Which is simply sad...

That said, voice tracking or remote connection from home is something now done routinely. It would be a no brainer for him to track a couple shifts a week from his own couch in couple hours for ME-TV-FM. Neil Sabin is known for doing out of the ordinary things. This would be right up his alley....and another shot in the arm for that operation.

OTOH if this is what Dick wants, then we should be all grateful for the 60+ years he's been able to entertain us.

RR

MeTV-fm would seem to be the logical place if any sort of accommodation can be made to keep Dick Biondi on the Chicago airwaves. Certainly the music mix would lend itself to the living legend that what's being programmed on WLS-FM. But in addition to his physical capabilities, the possible need to work out special logistics could pose a barrier..

WECK in Buffalo brings in Dan Neaverth every Friday between 3pm and 7pm. I'm sure MeTV FM could do something similiar in Chicago.

Dick was king of the airwaves on WLS in the early 60s. Not only in Chicago, but the WLS signal could be heard all over North America during his 9--midnight hours.
Whether or not he is heard on MeTV FM or not he's had a marvelous career!

Dick was king of the airwaves on WLS in the early 60s. Not only in Chicago, but the WLS signal could be heard all over North America during his 9--midnight hours.
Whether or not he is heard on MeTV FM or not he's had a marvelous career!

I would not say "all of North America" but there was definitely a consistent reception area in the 60's that was a circle drawn around these points:

To the east, around Erie, PA.
To the north, Ishpeming / Hancock / The Soo
To the west: Omaha
To the South: Memphis

Anything beyond that was not reliable or pure DX reception.

I would not say "all of North America" but there was definitely a consistent reception area in the 60's that was a circle drawn around these points:

To the east, around Erie, PA.
To the north, Ishpeming / Hancock / The Soo
To the west: Omaha
To the South: Memphis

Anything beyond that was not reliable or pure DX reception.

Point well taken. WLS could be heard in California, most of Canada, and Mexico--especially during the winter on many nights. I will say this, having made many trips to New Orleans WLS' signal there was very strong most nights. My cousin had a button set to it on his car radio in the 60s and 70s and the reception was not only reliable, but like a local most nights.

It just might be best, since he hasn't had good enough health to work at he has been out since April of last year, and there is no really alternative for him to go K-Hits is gone, and ME TV FM doesn't have any disc jockeys. At times you will hear a pre-recorded voice introducing a song, other then that you hear voices either live or taped that are WGN Radio news anchors that do a minute news reports with sports, traffic and weather reports. So I don't see how that will be a good fit, other then that in 3 years they have had no live djs in their studios introducing whatever song that was selected to play on the air.

I would not say "all of North America":

Totally agree that "all of North America is absolutely a stretch. But based on my experience as a frequent business traveler, I'd extend your perimiter our perhaps 150-200 miles. Again, we're talking "consistently reliable" as opposed to to pure DX. New Orleans, Dallas, Toronto, Wichita, Winnipeg are a few places that come to mind where WLS consistently was reliable....and for the most part still is. Despite the consensus opinion that the signal is no longer as robust as it was a few decades ago.

Winnipeg is an interesting example. CBW is nearly as reliable of a skywave signal as it gets around my Chicago area location. It routinely splatters on WMVP at my location about 30 miles from their transmitter site. And on the flip side, WLS is also dependable to this day in Winnipeg. Including in my not-so-quiet hotel room when I was there at the beginning of this month.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom