• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOR Three Decades Ago

DavidEduardo

Moderator/Administrator
Staff member
I found this link on another forum, and thought it was so interesting as a retrospective that it was worth putting here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=w...YQ6AEINTAE#v=onepage&q=stan lomax wor&f=false

Cliffs Notes version: 33 years ago New York Magazine published an article about how legendary #1 station WOR was having troubles with aging demographics and changes in listener tastes.

Deja vu, all over again.

A very interesting look back, thank you so much for sharing. What is remarkable is that, despite the disadvantaged AM signal, the station continues to endure, and likely still turns positive cash flow. It does have both importance and value to iHeart as it clears some of their big syndicated programs in the largest market and is the radio home of the Mets. While it'll never be the top rated station there, or even close to it, it still serves a useful purpose.

I found this link on another forum, and thought it was so interesting as a retrospective that it was worth putting here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=w...YQ6AEINTAE#v=onepage&q=stan lomax wor&f=false

Cliffs Notes version: 33 years ago New York Magazine published an article about how legendary #1 station WOR was having troubles with aging demographics and changes in listener tastes.

Deja vu, all over again.

Thank you Ghost of Yogi Berra haha
I don't about a "disadvantaged AM signal" they used to sound clear as a bell in central New Jersey. Yes, I used to listen to Jean Shepherd quite a bit, made many cassette recordings of his show. Heard Rambling With Gambling on the kitchen radio that my parents listened to while making breakfast. Remember when they had their transmitter in Carteret? Well when I was a youngster, my brother (who was 10 years older than I) and I actually went to the site and with our transistor radios in hand walked up as close as possible to the tower for an up close look. Fun days

What a treasure that magazine. The magazine had a blurb on a dispute between sportswriters (the late) Dick Young and Mike Lupica who for some time together at the NY Daily News. I used to read them both. Fun memories

I don't about a "disadvantaged AM signal" they used to sound clear as a bell in central New Jersey.

The station puts a 5 mV/m over 16.6 million persons.

By comparison, WFAN covers 17.4 million, WABC covers 15.9 million and WCBS covers 15.9 million.

While in each case, a bit of the population lives outside the metro (20 counties / boroughs), stilll WOR is one of the 4 best signals in NYC... arguably the 2nd best in covering metro counties.

The original WOR directional system was designed so the station could cover both NYC and Philly, a fact they promoted heavily in the 30's.

(I think the original poster referred to the "disadvantage" of being on AM, not the size of the signal.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom