Was this WGBH-FM?
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Was this WGBH-FM?

  1. #1

    Was this WGBH-FM?

    I was sitting in my car in New Britain, CT, this afternoon and took a spin across the FM dial. A strong signal appeared at 89.7, carrying NPR programming. I assumed it was WGBH-FM, which often puts a nice signal into this area when conditions are right, but the RDS display caused doubts. Instead of call letters and/or program info, it read "LOCALNPR". I didn't have time to wait for a station ID, so can anyone tell me if 'GBH is using this "placeholder" RDS display or was I listening to some other 89.7?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    I was sitting in my car in New Britain, CT, this afternoon and took a spin across the FM dial. A strong signal appeared at 89.7, carrying NPR programming. I assumed it was WGBH-FM, which often puts a nice signal into this area when conditions are right, but the RDS display caused doubts. Instead of call letters and/or program info, it read "LOCALNPR". I didn't have time to wait for a station ID, so can anyone tell me if 'GBH is using this "placeholder" RDS display or was I listening to some other 89.7?
    WGBH is using the slogan "WGBH, Boston's *Local* NPR".

    So, it is not a placeholder....it's what they want to be known as.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    WGBH is using the slogan "WGBH, Boston's *Local* NPR".

    So, it is not a placeholder....it's what they want to be known as.
    Yes, you were seeing only a portion of their text.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli Polonsky View Post
    Yes, you were seeing only a portion of their text.
    It was pounding in again tonight, and I saw the "WGBH" following the "LOCALNPR." Guess it wasn't quite strong enough earlier today for that second part to make it through.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    WGBH is using the slogan "WGBH, Boston's *Local* NPR".

    So, it is not a placeholder....it's what they want to be known as.
    Their branding sounds incomplete without the word "station" after "NPR."
    Plugged into the electric radio

  6. #6
    I have a question about RDS displays since I got one about 7 months ago. Do some stations not have the technology for it? What about stations that sometimes display song titles, but at other times the only information is the frequency? Is somebody not doing something at the station/

  7. #7
    Some may have it but don't care about using it.At WMWM we got a new transmitter and it had the capability so we have a scroll reading WMWM 91.7 Salem State Radio.

    I have seen cases of weird screwups..Bob Bittner's W267CE at 101.3, // WJIB says The Memories Stations. I tuned to a different freq but it stayed on in part so it read: WUMB 91.9--The Memories Stations

    At WBOQ they have song identifiers--
    Semisonic--Closing Time at North Shore 104.9.

    Up in part of Essex County I was getting WNEF 91.7 Newburyport and WMWM Salem back and forth with a folk show and religion in Spanish.Was hearing WMWM but display said Patsy Cline--I Fall to Pieces.

    On my car stereo and also HD portable I was getting some distant stations and the RDS showed up. I'm in Beverly MA but (across the water) was getting public radio from 90.1 Portland ME and their HD2, identified as such, on HD portable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us