• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOGL is not doing an Memorial Day Countdown this Year

I hate to tell you, but it wasn't that way in the 60s or 70s when those songs were currents. They played a very strict and narrow group of songs.

KFWB had their Fab 40's, KHJ had their Boss 30 countdowns and year end specials. KRTH had theirs in the 80's, WOGL / WCBS had theirs until recently.

KFWB had their Fab 40's, KHJ had their Boss 30 countdowns and year end specials. KRTH had theirs in the 80's, WOGL / WCBS had theirs until recently.

That's not what I'm saying. They didn't venture outside the format in the 60s & 70s. KHJ didn't play Johnny Ray or Patty Page as nuggets.

WOGL is still keeping the tradition with the music they are playing and those nuggets keep on coming! Their 1980's special is fabulous and they are playing many songs that other stations avoid. All they did was replace an A to Z special they had for years, with another that will be played for many more years. And the best part, they are going by specific years from the 80's each hour. The way it should be done.

Awesome job & well done WOGL, keeping the tradition as usual.......and the ratings show.

Heck, I remember one of the biggest rating getter, ever devised by some genius at WFIL. WIBG was the top 40 king for ages with no local competition, WFIL was the new kid on the block competing with a tighter top 30 playlist but after a few months doing this they came up with a red coat vs blue coat holiday weekend in 1967. They would play a song from a British artist and follow it up with an American one and you would call in and vote. They would keep playing the winner and the new competitor until the current champ was dethroned. Needless to say the British acts were the clear winners, I think Hey Jude took 15 songs to be dethroned by Elvis. The stations ratings went through the roof and they repeated the event on various holidays over the next few years, great AM hit radio back then.

Yep, everything was so much easier when the only option was listening to AM radio.

If everyone would just throw their iphones and computers away, we could go back immediately.

Find a DeLorean......

Hi David. i noticed WOGL lags behind the other classic hit stations regarding the updating of the music. I was just wondering what is the average center years for most classic hits stations. You said WOGL is 1982-1984 centered. I was just wondering as the past year and a half, they def progressed in the years by focusing on the 80s instead of the 70s.

You said WOGL is 1982-1984 centered.

I was in my late 20s then and still listening to CHR. I'm in my early 60s now and undesirable to advertisers. It's probably well past time for WOGL and other classic hits stations to re-center to late '80s or even early '90s, but I'm guessing the lack of consensus hits in the '90s might be delaying that move for many classic hits stations until the industry as a whole figures out what to do with that problematic musical decade.

I was thinking WOGL eventually moving into both, but in the shorter term the middle to late 80s. I am wondering if they will go the direction of 80s pop/rock 80s pop/rap. Very interesting to see where they will go with this. I would prefer the 80 pop/rock and then sprinkle in some late 80s hip hop.

Hi David. i noticed WOGL lags behind the other classic hit stations regarding the updating of the music. I was just wondering what is the average center years for most classic hits stations. You said WOGL is 1982-1984 centered. I was just wondering as the past year and a half, they def progressed in the years by focusing on the 80s instead of the 70s.

Shifts don't happen "automatically". Major market stations do research, and they test what they play and what they might play against their core target. That target is likely centered on 35-54, and who they test might even be something like 35-49.

Some "newer" songs are tested each time, as well as all the likely prospects in the era they are playing.

The difference with WOGL is in the early fringe cuts. They have small batch of slow-rotating songs that are older than many/most classic hits stations play, but the core of the library based on total plays, is around 1982... just like similar stations.

Thank you for confirming David.
In regards to the 80s Block Party. I thought it was just the same 80s songs they play, with a few 80s that are not currently in their playlist. It was nothing really special. On the other hand, BEN FM was really digging deep into the 80s and 90s. They were playing songs that have not been heard in a long time. Does BEN FM have a larger playlist then WOGL?

I don't know the answer to this, but yes you are correct. I think it's based on the concept of providing exclusive content for subscribers, rather than simply being a music distribution service like Pandora and the other streaming platforms. It's about providing value to people who pay for the service. In OTA, it's similar to the view in public radio, for the same reason.

One thing about repeats on Sirius, is you're covering all of the time zones in North America. Morning drive on the east coast is 3 AM on the west. You have to throw the rules about dayparts out the window. I think one of the reasons they repeat a lot of shows is to catch people in all of the time zones.

That's not to say that I like it. 80's on 8 repeats the countdowns so often that I feel like I hear the same 4 songs in the same order every time I get in the car.

But I use them for a different purpose than I use my local radio station. Your comparison to public radio is apt.

That's not to say that I like it. 80's on 8 repeats the countdowns so often that I feel like I hear the same 4 songs in the same order every time I get in the car.

I agree...those who complain about repetition on OTA radio should listen to those channels on Sirius.

I agree...those who complain about repetition on OTA radio should listen to those channels on Sirius.

And they should understand that twenty-some million persons are paying a monthly fee to get exactly what Sirius has to offer.

They absolutely should. And shows like The Pulse morning snow cover the time zones pretty well. They repeat some content, but not all, and mix it up a bit. I don’t recall how often their countdown replays, but I don’t think it’s eight times. ;)

They’re delivering what brings in the subscriptions. Kudos to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom