Latest PPM out 5/18 - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest PPM out 5/18

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Yep and they waited almost six months to launch their highly touted morning show. I don't know a lot of companies that would be willing to wait that long.

Which is why I don't expect them to pull the rug out from under them after 6 months. They appear to be in this for the long haul.
    Nice form. Should you ever tire of creating your own set of facts here, I know someone named Sarah at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue who would be interested in your style.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AQH View Post
    Nice form. Should you ever tire of creating your own set of facts here, I know someone named Sarah at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue who would be interested in your style.
    What did BigA say that wasn't totally reasonable, particularly for a conservative operator like Hubbard?
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

What did BigA say that wasn't totally reasonable, particularly for a conservative operator like Hubbard?
    Let me help out here.

You can't learn the true history of an operation or a frequency by Google searches. You have to have been here to know what really happened. "A" thinks he knows everything about Factoria except he probably couldn't find it on a map. That's why he's scoffed at by someone who likely knows the real reason Hubbard waited six months to put in a morning show.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Piotrowski View Post
    Let me help out here.

You can't learn the true history of an operation or a frequency by Google searches. You have to have been here to know what really happened. "A" thinks he knows everything about Factoria except he probably couldn't find it on a map. That's why he's scoffed at by someone who likely knows the real reason Hubbard waited six months to put in a morning show.
    That sounds like an interesting story. Care to enlighten us?
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

That sounds like an interesting story. Care to enlighten us?
    I'm not the one who scoffed at him so I'm not qualified to enlighten the class.

If Hubbard is a "conservative operator," than how come they rushed a flip to country only some 90 minutes after KMPS flipped? I've heard hey were worried about iHeart, but was it realistic to believe that they were going to blow up most likely 96.5, which serves its purpose well, for country?

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    If Hubbard is a "conservative operator," than how come they rushed a flip to country only some 90 minutes after KMPS flipped? I've heard hey were worried about iHeart, but was it realistic to believe that they were going to blow up most likely 96.5, which serves its purpose well, for country?
    Generally, when a format is flipped immediately after the closing on a sale, the move was pre-calculated with considerable planning and financial analysis.

If we look at other such changes, we find some similarities:

-The station was losing money and the new owners did not want to continue in the same format.
    -The company bought the station to do a format they have expertise or a specialization in, such as purchases by Urban One, Univision and EMF.
    -A new combined cluster needed better demographic alignment for group sales reasons.
    -The company just did not favor a particular format.

Generally, when a format is flipped immediately after the closing on a sale, the move was pre-calculated with considerable planning and financial analysis.

If we look at other such changes, we find some similarities:

-The station was losing money and the new owners did not want to continue in the same format.
    -The company bought the station to do a format they have expertise or a specialization in, such as purchases by Urban One, Univision and EMF.
    -A new combined cluster needed better demographic alignment for group sales reasons.
    -The company just did not favor a particular format.
    David, I have a lot of respect for your knowledge and reputation but in this case generalities don't apply. Here's why.

As Bob said, the 98.9 flip was within 90 minutes of KMPS's change. That station wan't sold to anyone so the flip was a response that clearly wasn't planned.
    The station didn't even have a name for the first few months (sorry, "Country 98.9 is a placeholder, not a brand).
    The format ran out of Hubbard's STL stations until they got things set up in Factoria
    The station took 6 months to hire a morning show.

Doesn't take an extra eye to see this wasn't executed very well. And for those who know the "ancient history" of these stations it's not a big surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Piotrowski View Post
    (sorry, "Country 98.9 is a placeholder, not a brand).
    Tell that to the very successful WWYZ Waterbury/Hartford, CT, which has been "Country 92.5" since its flip from soft AC in 1988!

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Tell that to the very successful WWYZ Waterbury/Hartford, CT, which has been "Country 92.5" since its flip from soft AC in 1988!
    I can think of many instances where the dial position was the name, sometimes for decades, on successful stations

FM 92 was a top station in Miami for about 25 years. The New 101.9 was Top 5 in LA for a decade. FM 100 was the leading Beautifol Music station in Chicago for 10 or 12 years. 100 has been top 5 in Buenos Aires for 30 years.

Many of these stations, as well as the ones that added a Z or X or Q or Y to the dial position knew that in the diary world, about 80% of entries included the frequency, with a majority being JUST the frequency. And even in the PPM world, we understand that listeners still identify terrestrial radio by the dial position. The challenge lies in the shift to smart phones and speaker, where there is no dial, making a pure frequency name a poor choice today.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast