• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest PPM out 5/18

Except there isn't really that much thrash metal on KISW. It seems half the time I tune in I"m hearing classic rock from the 70's. Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin...

They're a classic rock station that plays new stuff now and then, and has a metal show on Saturday nights... I know it's working for now, but, how much longer? Maybe that doesn't matter.

I'm going to go out on the limb here and say that Jimi Hendrix didn't have any Rock from the 70s, Classic or otherwise!

I beg your pardon. I'm mortified! I could swear he died in 1969!

Wait until you see his '80s output. And the '90s stuff. Plus he has a new album out this year.

Between him and Tupac, I swear these guys put out MORE stuff posthumously than they ever did when they were alive. Either they made HUGE tape vaults or they're churning out this stuff in witness protection, I don't know how this stuff just keeps coming out after all these years.

I beg your pardon. I'm mortified! I could swear he died in 1969!

He died in September, 1970.

As for my comment, Hendrix's music was close enough to the 70's to be included in that era, as much of it was still recurrent during that decade and heavily played as such.

My statement still stands. When I tune in KISW and hear the same music that was already old 30 years ago, I turn the dial or just turn the radio off. There is plenty of new music that they could play more often, and the recurrent bin could have more recent stuff (they do play Soundgarden, AIC and Pearl Jam a lot, naturally, as they are Seattle bands), like KVRQ did.

Obviously, KISW's format is working, they are high in the ratings. Ain't broke, don't fix it. I get that. But today's ain't broke might need fixing tomorrow, and maybe by then the format will have aged out so much it will be too late. I hope I'm wrong, as I grew up with KISW. But like I said, I just don't listen to them much anymore.

I don't want to hear Queen or Led Zeppelin or Hendrix songs on a 'current' rock station, esp. songs I already heard eight million times. Maybe their audience does. Fair enough.

Wait until you see his '80s output. And the '90s stuff. Plus he has a new album out this year.

Between him and Tupac, I swear these guys put out MORE stuff posthumously than they ever did when they were alive. Either they made HUGE tape vaults or they're churning out this stuff in witness protection, I don't know how this stuff just keeps coming out after all these years.

I suspect Prince will be the same way.

I'd like to add here -- I love Jimi Hendrix's music. I love Led Zeppelin. I love Black Sabbath, and I have a few Queen albums. It's just that I've heard it so much on the radio over the years, I don't want to hear it so much on the radio. If I wanted to hear it, I would either pull out a CD, or listen to KZOK which advertises itself as a classic rock station.

Even so, it's nice to see KISW and the End showing decent ratings, showing that Seattle is still a rock town. Kudos to them.

I suspect Prince will be the same way.

He is. His estate says they have thousands of tapes, including complete albums. Like Jimi and Tupac, he was in his studio almost every day.

He is. His estate says they have thousands of tapes, including complete albums. Like Jimi and Tupac, he was in his studio almost every day.

I'm sure the big issue will be who owns them and who's going to release them, given his history with record labels.

I'm sure the big issue will be who owns them and who's going to release them, given his history with record labels.

Good point. But it may not be mutually exclusive to one label or the other as different labels under different record conglomerates often work together on compilation material, like certain greatest hits albums (The Essential Heart on Epic/Capitol. the NOW compilations.) It all depends on whatever arrangement Prince's estate and the respective labels can agree to because it isn't in Prince's hands anymore. And there will be some agreement. There's BIG $$$ and guaranteed airplay on KEXP in those vaults. I don't think the Nelson family will turn good money away.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom