• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest PPM out 5/18

Sooooo....what's with the drop on The Sound? Down 6/10ths of a share since March. And look at those awful, AWFUL ratings for 98.9! I'll give it another 6 months. KKWF's even down. I'm guessing country is not a popular format anymore in the Seattle-Tacoma area, even with those that are living in Pierce and Snohomish County away from the I-5/405 area.
KIRO-AM jumped up big, guessing due to the Mariners.

Sooooo....what's with the drop on The Sound? Down 6/10ths of a share since March.

0.6 is within the margin of error of the survey. Unless there is a multi-book downward trend, it is, as CTListener says, just wobble.

Very often larger wobbles in 12+ are actually fluctuations outside the core target audience and represent fringe listener groups the station is not seeking anyway... but 12+ does not reveal that or anything else significant anyway.

And look at those awful, AWFUL ratings for 98.9! I'll give it another 6 months.

Their new morning show just debuted this week. You don't wait 6 months to launch a morning show, and then only give them 6 months to prove themselves. Take a look at the promotions they're doing at up-coming concerts in the area. You'll start seeing the morning show out and about in the next few weeks, and it probably won't have an impact until June.

Yes it's a very slow climb, but it'll still a climb. This is Hubbard...they move slow.

Yes it's a very slow climb, but it'll still a climb. This is Hubbard...they move slow.

You clearly have no knowledge of how things were pre-Hubbard.

And this morning show better be the next coming of Bob Rivers if it's to dominate. Without cannibalizing its sister show B&J, that is. That's a hard order to fill.

My money's on another format change before the Easter Bunny makes his 2019 trip.

It appears KJR/KFNQ canceled each other out to the massive benefit of KIRO-AM. Sports fans confused as to which KJR is which for what. Maybe not such a good idea?

Yeah, Hubbard moves slow.

Yep and they waited almost six months to launch their highly touted morning show. I don't know a lot of companies that would be willing to wait that long.

Which is why I don't expect them to pull the rug out from under them after 6 months. They appear to be in this for the long haul.

Yep and they waited almost six months to launch their highly touted morning show. I don't know a lot of companies that would be willing to wait that long.

Which is why I don't expect them to pull the rug out from under them after 6 months. They appear to be in this for the long haul.

Nice form. Should you ever tire of creating your own set of facts here, I know someone named Sarah at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue who would be interested in your style.

Nice form. Should you ever tire of creating your own set of facts here, I know someone named Sarah at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue who would be interested in your style.

What did BigA say that wasn't totally reasonable, particularly for a conservative operator like Hubbard?

What did BigA say that wasn't totally reasonable, particularly for a conservative operator like Hubbard?

Let me help out here.

You can't learn the true history of an operation or a frequency by Google searches. You have to have been here to know what really happened. "A" thinks he knows everything about Factoria except he probably couldn't find it on a map. That's why he's scoffed at by someone who likely knows the real reason Hubbard waited six months to put in a morning show.

Let me help out here.

You can't learn the true history of an operation or a frequency by Google searches. You have to have been here to know what really happened. "A" thinks he knows everything about Factoria except he probably couldn't find it on a map. That's why he's scoffed at by someone who likely knows the real reason Hubbard waited six months to put in a morning show.

That sounds like an interesting story. Care to enlighten us?

If Hubbard is a "conservative operator," than how come they rushed a flip to country only some 90 minutes after KMPS flipped? I've heard hey were worried about iHeart, but was it realistic to believe that they were going to blow up most likely 96.5, which serves its purpose well, for country?

If Hubbard is a "conservative operator," than how come they rushed a flip to country only some 90 minutes after KMPS flipped? I've heard hey were worried about iHeart, but was it realistic to believe that they were going to blow up most likely 96.5, which serves its purpose well, for country?

Generally, when a format is flipped immediately after the closing on a sale, the move was pre-calculated with considerable planning and financial analysis.

If we look at other such changes, we find some similarities:

-The station was losing money and the new owners did not want to continue in the same format.
-The company bought the station to do a format they have expertise or a specialization in, such as purchases by Urban One, Univision and EMF.
-A new combined cluster needed better demographic alignment for group sales reasons.
-The company just did not favor a particular format.

Generally, when a format is flipped immediately after the closing on a sale, the move was pre-calculated with considerable planning and financial analysis.

If we look at other such changes, we find some similarities:

-The station was losing money and the new owners did not want to continue in the same format.
-The company bought the station to do a format they have expertise or a specialization in, such as purchases by Urban One, Univision and EMF.
-A new combined cluster needed better demographic alignment for group sales reasons.
-The company just did not favor a particular format.

David, I have a lot of respect for your knowledge and reputation but in this case generalities don't apply. Here's why.

As Bob said, the 98.9 flip was within 90 minutes of KMPS's change. That station wan't sold to anyone so the flip was a response that clearly wasn't planned.
The station didn't even have a name for the first few months (sorry, "Country 98.9 is a placeholder, not a brand).
The format ran out of Hubbard's STL stations until they got things set up in Factoria
The station took 6 months to hire a morning show.

Doesn't take an extra eye to see this wasn't executed very well. And for those who know the "ancient history" of these stations it's not a big surprise.

Tell that to the very successful WWYZ Waterbury/Hartford, CT, which has been "Country 92.5" since its flip from soft AC in 1988!

I can think of many instances where the dial position was the name, sometimes for decades, on successful stations

FM 92 was a top station in Miami for about 25 years. The New 101.9 was Top 5 in LA for a decade. FM 100 was the leading Beautifol Music station in Chicago for 10 or 12 years. “100” has been top 5 in Buenos Aires for 30 years.

Many of these stations, as well as the ones that added a Z or X or Q or Y to the dial position knew that in the diary world, about 80% of entries included the frequency, with a majority being JUST the frequency. And even in the PPM world, we understand that listeners still identify terrestrial radio by the dial position. The challenge lies in the shift to smart phones and speaker, where there is no dial, making a pure frequency name a poor choice today.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom