• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ray Koob out at WMGK

Just ran across this on Philly.com. Curious if they'll be voice tracking or going with something syndicated.

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/celebrities/wmgk-ray-koob-layoffs-beasley-radio-20180515.html

Ray Koob, longtime radio host, out at 102.9 WMGK

Ray Koob’s run at 102.9 WMGK is over, the host says.

Koob initially posted a messaged on his Facebook fan page this morning thanking fans for “16 years of incredible fun on the radio,” and wrote in the post’s comments that he has been laid off from the station. He has since confirmed his layoff with the Inquirer, saying that he was let go Monday night and his position was eliminated.

How WMGK plans to fill Koob’s former weeknight slot, which ran from 7 p.m. to midnight, is unclear, as is whether other employees at the station have been laid off. Beasley Broadcast Group, WMGK’s parent company, could not immediately be reached for comment.

“Thanks to my teammates of the last 16 years at WMGK,” Koob told the Inquirer. “It’s an amazing station, and I’m happy to be a part of the family.”

Just ran across this on Philly.com. Curious if they'll be voice tracking or going with something syndicated.

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/celebrities/wmgk-ray-koob-layoffs-beasley-radio-20180515.html

Koob initially posted a messaged on his Facebook fan page this morning thanking fans for “16 years of incredible fun on the radio,” and wrote in the post’s comments that he has been laid off from the station. He has since confirmed his layoff with the Inquirer, saying that he was let go Monday night and his position was eliminated.

How WMGK plans to fill Koob’s former weeknight slot, which ran from 7 p.m. to midnight, is unclear, as is whether other employees at the station have been laid off. Beasley Broadcast Group, WMGK’s parent company, could not immediately be reached for comment.

“Thanks to my teammates of the last 16 years at WMGK,” Koob told the Inquirer. “It’s an amazing station, and I’m happy to be a part of the family.”

"Position was eliminated" sounds to me like they plan to go wall-to-wall music with liners and sweepers but no host, an autopilot operation. Since today's younger listeners largely consider DJs an annoyance, that would be no surprise.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to staff the 7PM to midnight shift on a station that targets an older audience. Those folks are usually home with the kids, watching TV at that time. Advertisers know this, and aren't rushing to buy spots airing between 7 PM and 5AM.

Terrible

It's becoming increasingly difficult to staff the 7PM to midnight shift on a station that targets an older audience. Those folks are usually home with the kids, watching TV at that time. Advertisers know this, and aren't rushing to buy spots airing between 7 PM and 5AM.

Yeah. You have to wonder if the days of WMMR being "live and local, 24/7" are close to being over as well... Shame.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom