• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rhythmic or Urban AC format in Phoenix market?

thepumpin1

New Participating Member
I have posted a thread about this before and I thought it would bear mentioning again. Why doesn't the Phoenix market have at least a full-market Rhythmic or Urban AC radio station? Before anyone comments about the demos of the market, I am going to stop you right there. First off, the San Francisco market has a full-market Urban (not rhythmic) AC station, KBLX-FM. The African-American population in the San Fran area is actually diminishing, so how can that market support it? Another example, Los Angeles' 94.7 The Wave. Now I realize they lean more Rhythmic AC, but they are successful. Why can't the Phoenix market have a station like 94.7, The Wave? I believe the demos are there for the format. I don't understand why it hasn't been done?

Per Nielsen (granted, this is for TV, but radio can't be that much different), SF/Oakland/San Jose has about 180,000 African-American households, rank #22. Phoenix has about 106,000 households, rank #43. Not all of them are in the areas east of Downtown, South Phoenix, and Ahwatukee (especially east of 40th St.), either. They're spread out all over the Valley, which would likely require a South Mountain stick to reach everybody who might be interested. Not happening with such a small potential audience.

IIRC, the last stations to program to African-Americans were KUKQ 1060 and Buckeye's 106.9 (I forgot the call letters) in the early/mid 1990s.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ck_Ranks.pdf&usg=AOvVaw07LPNWqtlwiHlaHlRagifK (PDF)

Per Nielsen (granted, this is for TV, but radio can't be that much different), SF/Oakland/San Jose has about 180,000 African-American households, rank #22. Phoenix has about 106,000 households, rank #43. Not all of them are in the areas east of Downtown, South Phoenix, and Ahwatukee (especially east of 40th St.), either. They're spread out all over the Valley, which would likely require a South Mountain stick to reach everybody who might be interested. Not happening with such a small potential audience.

IIRC, the last stations to program to African-Americans were KUKQ 1060 and Buckeye's 106.9 (I forgot the call letters) in the early/mid 1990s.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ck_Ranks.pdf&usg=AOvVaw07LPNWqtlwiHlaHlRagifK (PDF)

In the early 90's, I ran KISP/KYOT/KISO 1230 using the ABC "Touch" format. We pulled a 0.8 at best.

The Urban AC format was chosen to sell in combo with its original sister, KMXX (Mix 101.5). We classified it with Arbitron as Adult Contemporary and used it to drive down the cost per point on combo buys.

After the station was sold and KMXX became KZON, Sundance left it alone because it was profitable. That's because it cost them almost nothing to run. The KYOT calls were parked there before they bought KOY in anticipation of using them later. We kept it branded Kiss and only used the calls at the top of hour during that time.

Once Sundance ended up spun to Chancellor it became country to be used as a flanker to KNIX.

KMJK came on after Sundance owned 1230. They tried to get ABC to take the network affiliation away from us so we played hardball to keep it, but they did end up picking up the Joyner show which we had passed on. After 1230 went country, KMJK aired The Touch and Joyner until they went under. There were many stories of vendors and employees not getting paid at KMJK. 106.9 was never going to be a player with that signal. At the end they had a good translator in the market, but they never had a lot of business on the air.

I should point out that Art Mobley, the former owner of KMJK, is part of a new group that has a CP for a class C3 station in Wickenburg, so if they can get that on the air, expect something similar to Majic to come back.

Here's my take on the format: if you do a traditional urban or urban AC station in Phoenix, you're going to have a hard time making it if you're on your own. We kept the expenses down to almost nothing at Kiss 1230 because the only personnel that came out of the budget were me and one to two salespeople. I don't know about the sales folks, but I made less than 30k. The rest of the support staff (production, engineering, traffic, sales support) and the cost of the studio real estate all came out of running the other stations. So when you ran a profit/loss statement on 1230, you came out with an insane profit margin and we could pay our operating expenses with about a week's worth of operation because most of our operating expenses were being charged to other lines on the balance sheet... If you're running a standalone rimshot out of Wickenburg, all you've got to work with is the direct business you can get on the street - and unlike 1994, you're up against the two Sierra H stations and Riviera all chasing the same business but they have economies of scale that you don't have. I give them credit for persistence, but even with the rules on the main studio being relaxed they've got a tough road ahead.

Kiss 1230 was a reliable 0.8 - 1.0 share in the early 90s, but that was in the diary. The reality was that we usually got a couple of diaries that fell in the zip code where the state capitol is (which is one of the few neighborhoods where that signal does okay at night) and they wrote down that they listened to us all day every day. PPM is a different beast, and you're not going to get a 1 share off of two diaries with incredible time spent listening. I don't have firsthand knowledge of how KUKQ's diaries looked back in the day, but I suspect they were also heavy in TSL. (Like 1230, 1060's signal is strongest in historically black neighborhoods in Phoenix, so the night signal didn't hurt them either.) PPM is all about cume. You don't have enough of a black population to eat off of cume doing Urban AC in Phoenix.

Why can't you just import KTWV or KBLX and win? Because this isn't LA or San Francisco. I would point out too that KYOT-FM tried the rhythmic AC format when it segued from Smooth Jazz to "Eva 95.5" but they've done a lot better both in ratings and billing as The Mountain. And keep in mind that today's radio is all about cluster strategy. You're combining multiple stations together to reach men (Hubbard) or women (iHeart, Entercom) as part of a package. Or why Radio One blew up its Gospel station in Houston even though it got the highest ratings the signal had ever achieved (because it was pulling audience away from its top brand and was hurting its billing). Radio is a numbers game.

If you're going to change a format on an existing signal, you have to be willing to lose money for at least a year and bet that what you're going to make later offsets that. Eva was expendable for iHeart because it wasn't doing great; they flipped the format in about 48 hours from the time Bonneville blew up The Peak and it paid off. Had Eva been making more money they might not have done that. Even when we knew that Rhythm & Rock was a dud at KYOT-FM and we were losing our shirt we couldn't turn the car around that fast.

If you're going to sign on a new signal without others to sell in combo with? Good luck. The other stations will eat your lunch with a combo buy that beats your reach.

Last edited:

Art Mobley's Majik 107.

You're right, the numbers don't add up for a South Mtn stick doing an urban format. 106~Nine is Entravision's KDVA with its stick just north of I-10 and Hwy 85 in beloved Buckeye.

The reason why I brought up San Francisco is because they don't have a large black population either, but Urban AC is still there. Can you explain that?
As far as Eva 95.5 goes, I think part of the reason it failed was because there really wasn't a commitment to the format. The playlist was too generic. In order for any format to succeed, it has to be catered to the city which it broadcasts. I am not saying 95.5 should have necessarily been a straight-ahead Urban AC. But it wasn't even a good Rhythmic AC for Phoenix or anywhere for that matter. All I am saying is that, a format like The Wave in Los Angeles could work in Phoenix if there were an actual commitment to it. I realize Phoenix isn't Los Angeles, that is the whole reason why you program to the demographics of YOUR market. A rhythmic AC format in one city isn't going to have the exact same playlist as in another.

Art Mobley's Majik 107.

You're right, the numbers don't add up for a South Mtn stick doing an urban format. 106~Nine is Entravision's KDVA with its stick just north of I-10 and Hwy 85 in beloved Buckeye.

Another factor is the importance of later generation Hispanics to this format in markets where African American population is low.

The percentage of first generation Hispanics in Phoenix is higher than most markets in the Southwest; that group will not use an Urban station.

Second generation Hispanics who have grown up in Phoenix have been less exposed to urban music (except for the crossover tunes) than their counterparts in other Southwestern markets.

So the potential cume among Hispanics is more limited than, by comparison, San Francisco.

The reason why I brought up San Francisco is because they don't have a large black population either, but Urban AC is still there. Can you explain that?
As far as Eva 95.5 goes, I think part of the reason it failed was because there really wasn't a commitment to the format. The playlist was too generic. In order for any format to succeed, it has to be catered to the city which it broadcasts. I am not saying 95.5 should have necessarily been a straight-ahead Urban AC. But it wasn't even a good Rhythmic AC for Phoenix or anywhere for that matter. All I am saying is that, a format like The Wave in Los Angeles could work in Phoenix if there were an actual commitment to it. I realize Phoenix isn't Los Angeles, that is the whole reason why you program to the demographics of YOUR market. A rhythmic AC format in one city isn't going to have the exact same playlist as in another.

Beyond David's point about the appeal to Hispanics, there is a huge difference in the number of African-Americans in the Bay Area and Phoenix. While the percentages seem within walking distance of each other, 6.7 percent of the Bay Area metro is 519,662 people. Five percent of the Phoenix metro is only 209,644.

Beyond David's point about the appeal to Hispanics, there is a huge difference in the number of African-Americans in the Bay Area and Phoenix. While the percentages seem within walking distance of each other, 6.7 percent of the Bay Area metro is 519,662 people. Five percent of the Phoenix metro is only 209,644.

Point well taken Michael with the percentages.

I think part of the reason it failed was because there really wasn't a commitment to the format. The playlist was too generic

Ah yes, the "they weren't committed to the format" argument.

Let's spin the time machine back to the 80s at the stations that were originally at 840 N. Central.

KOY was a full-service AC station with a news department that rivaled KTAR's in size and depth. KQYT was a Beautiful Music station.

Both were being left behind by the times. Middle of the Road music on AM was being beat by AC on FM. Beautiful Music was the Smooth Jazz of its day and had fallen out of favor with advertisers.

So Edens essentially blew up both. Tim Hattrick was hired to be paired with Bill Heywood and the MOR became straight AC. KQYT became 95.5 KOY-FM. The AM simulcast the FM except at night (where I think they still had a sports talk show that competed with KTAR back then). They sank money into billboards. They did events. They did their research. And it didn't work. KOY-FM went top 40. KOY became satellite fed nostalgia. This made the stations competitive and profitable and they rode that horse up until they were sold.

I suppose that if Gary had an infinite supply of money he could have kept doing what wasn't working, but that supply was not infinite. I also know that the cost of each of the changes was not cheap. But here's the point: you don't do a format because you're committed to the music.

You do it because you're committed to delivering listeners to advertisers. If you're not delivering people to those advertisers, you need to be committed to changing to something that will.

So Edens essentially blew up both. Tim Hattrick was hired to be paired with Bill Heywood and the MOR became straight AC. KQYT became 95.5 KOY-FM. The AM simulcast the FM except at night (where I think they still had a sports talk show that competed with KTAR back then).

Actually the FM simulcasted the dated presentation of the AM. Tim Hattrick said he felt honored to work with Heywood...his admiration was like that he had of his grandfather. Ouch! It was beyond terrible and quickly changed to Y95, leaving 5~Fifty with satellite delivered programming.

If you're not delivering people to those advertisers, you need to be committed to changing to something that will.

We have a winner...no more calls please!

Actually the FM simulcasted the dated presentation of the AM. Tim Hattrick said he felt honored to work with Heywood...his admiration was like that he had of his grandfather. Ouch! It was beyond terrible and quickly changed to Y95, leaving 5~Fifty with satellite delivered programming.

Oh, it was a complete trainwreck to listen to. It just goes to prove that no matter how good your intentions may have been when you started, once you put it on the air and realize it's bombing, you don't stay committed to it.

It's kind of like the people who ask me how we came up with stunting with NBA intermission music for 6 months and I have to explain, no, our boss really thought that was going to be a thing...

I still maintain that the period of time when Y-95 sounded the best was when Kevin & Michelle were programming it out of Q-106. But others will disagree with me on that.

Let's spin the time machine back to the 80s at the stations that were originally at 840 N. Central.

KOY was a full-service AC station with a news department that rivaled KTAR's in size and depth. KQYT was a Beautiful Music station.

Both were being left behind by the times. Middle of the Road music on AM was being beat by AC on FM. Beautiful Music was the Smooth Jazz of its day and had fallen out of favor with advertisers.

So Edens essentially blew up both. Tim Hattrick was hired to be paired with Bill Heywood and the MOR became straight AC. KQYT became 95.5 KOY-FM. The AM simulcast the FM except at night (where I think they still had a sports talk show that competed with KTAR back then). They sank money into billboards. They did events. They did their research. And it didn't work. KOY-FM went top 40. KOY became satellite fed nostalgia. This made the stations competitive and profitable and they rode that horse up until they were sold.

I suppose that if Gary had an infinite supply of money he could have kept doing what wasn't working, but that supply was not infinite. I also know that the cost of each of the changes was not cheap. But here's the point: you don't do a format because you're committed to the music.

You do it because you're committed to delivering listeners to advertisers. If you're not delivering people to those advertisers, you need to be committed to changing to something that will.

But in all fairness, if all you do is play 25 or 30 of the same songs over and over, that is going to cause audience burnout. One example would be the Classic Hip-Hop format. The format CONCEPT is a good one, but without variety, it gets stale very quickly. How many times can someone listen to "Just a Friend", "Push It", "Bust a Move" or "Gin and Juice"? You have to add other hits besides the top ten to keep listeners tuned in.

You mean to tell me that this wasn't going to work? We're headed for the future, baby...

#hellotherefellowteens

https://formatchange.com/95-5-kqyt-phoenix-becomes-koy-fm/

It was an AM approach to FM radio. Gary Edens loved KOY so much, he figured listeners would love it twice as much if it was on FM. And speaking of Twice (KTWC).....nah, let's not bring that up here!

I still maintain that the period of time when Y-95 sounded the best was when Kevin & Michelle were programming it out of Q-106. But others will disagree with me on that.

No disagreement from Los Buckeye Boyz. Y95 sounded pretty good at times...just not good all the time.

It was an AM approach to FM radio. Gary Edens loved KOY so much, he figured listeners would love it twice as much if it was on FM. And speaking of Twice (KTWC).....nah, let's not bring that up here!

No disagreement from Los Buckeye Boyz. Y95 sounded pretty good at times...just not good all the time.

Y95 sounded its best once KZZP started its drift toward Hot AC which led to their flip to Variety. I still preferred Power’s sound at the time though.

I also thought KUKQ could have put a couple more years into their R&B format. But the owners were fighting for their licenses and thought they could be in a better position with country. Until KMLE came along, that is.

That is an interesting comment. One that the late Lew Silverstein and Jason Zinziletta would agree with. KAHM has been easy listening since day one. Lew and now Jason are committed to the format and they have been and continue to be profitable.......

But in all fairness, if all you do is play 25 or 30 of the same songs over and over, that is going to cause audience burnout. One example would be the Classic Hip-Hop format. The format CONCEPT is a good one, but without variety, it gets stale very quickly. How many times can someone listen to "Just a Friend", "Push It", "Bust a Move" or "Gin and Juice"? You have to add other hits besides the top ten to keep listeners tuned in.

How many years have stations been playing Brown Eyed Girl?

If the songs are strong enough to endure, they will.

When you sign on a new format, you start with a tight list of songs that everyone knows. If you loosen that up too much, then people don't know the songs. If you burn out the library and you don't have equally strong songs to rotate in, you end up playing a bunch of songs that nobody wants to hear. I'm in Houston now; I listened to the rise and fall of Boom 92. When it signed on, I knew 3 out of every 4 songs they played in a quarter hour. On its last day, I knew 0 out of 4 in a quarter hour. Granted, I'm older than the target, but that's how a radio station goes from being the one that everyone is talking about to one that nobody noticed it flipped.

Everybody says they want variety, but what that means is they want a variety of stuff they know and like.

How many years have stations been playing Brown Eyed Girl?

If the songs are strong enough to endure, they will.

When you sign on a new format, you start with a tight list of songs that everyone knows. If you loosen that up too much, then people don't know the songs. If you burn out the library and you don't have equally strong songs to rotate in, you end up playing a bunch of songs that nobody wants to hear. I'm in Houston now; I listened to the rise and fall of Boom 92. When it signed on, I knew 3 out of every 4 songs they played in a quarter hour. On its last day, I knew 0 out of 4 in a quarter hour. Granted, I'm older than the target, but that's how a radio station goes from being the one that everyone is talking about to one that nobody noticed it flipped.

Everybody says they want variety, but what that means is they want a variety of stuff they know and like.

I get you play what people like. But you also don't burn people out on the same few songs either. There has to be a balance. When radio stations begin to play certain songs over and over, I TUNE OUT!!!! If people want variety, get an IPOD.

I get you play what people like. But you also don't burn people out on the same few songs either. There has to be a balance. When radio stations begin to play certain songs over and over, I TUNE OUT!!!!

If you really like the song, you don't notice or mind the repetition. You always turn up your favorite songs.

If it irritates you that you're hearing it often, then you don't like it anymore.

We use tight lists when launching a new format because you want the first impression someone gets is to be a good one.

If you don't manage the library properly, you burn it to a crisp. The funny thing is, if the songs are good enough, with enough rest they can come back and people don't hate them. If they're weak to begin with, there's no amount of rest that's going to save them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom