WABC vs WKXW
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: WABC vs WKXW

  1. #1

    WABC vs WKXW

    I think this is pretty funny (and sad, actually.)

    WABC-AM News Talk Info. 1.2 1.2 1.1 signal https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WABC-AM&h=D
    WKXW-FM Talk/Personality 1.1 1.2 1.1 signal https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WKXW-FM

    WABC, a 50kw clear channel NYC talk radio station, is tied in the ratings with a suburban NJ talk station. I bet cost for commercials is a LOT cheaper on "NJ 101.5"

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Edgewood, NM
    Posts
    1,116
    See also the threads on why AM is dying.

  3. #3
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    37,280
    Quote Originally Posted by AMRocks View Post
    I bet cost for commercials is a LOT cheaper on "NJ 101.5"
    Rates are set based on audience delivery. NJ 101.5 has a huge audience, and is priced accordingly. It has billings in the same range as WABC, despite being centered in a smaller market, Trenton.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    Rates are set based on audience delivery. NJ 101.5 has a huge audience, and is priced accordingly. It has billings in the same range as WABC, despite being centered in a smaller market, Trenton.
    So do you think buying spots on NJ 101.5 are the same cost as buying on WABC?

  5. #5
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    37,280
    Quote Originally Posted by AMRocks View Post
    So do you think buying spots on NJ 101.5 are the same cost as buying on WABC?
    If they bill the same and have the same inventory levels, the cost per spot is going to be about th e same.

    Remember that spot rates are hugely variable based on days, season, dayparts as well as the need to meet agency CPPs to get on specific buys.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    Posts
    1,444
    WKXW also shows up respectably in the big Philadelphia market. They're marginally ahead of another 50,000 watt AM station there -- WPHT.

    I don't know of any other station that showed up in two major markets yet wasn't licensed to either. Perhaps someone here knows of a few.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green NEPA View Post
    WKXW also shows up respectably in the big Philadelphia market. They're marginally ahead of another 50,000 watt AM station there -- WPHT.

    I don't know of any other station that showed up in two major markets yet wasn't licensed to either. Perhaps someone here knows of a few.
    WFAN(AM) has occasionally shown up in the Boston ratings, I believe. It definitely has in Hartford, but No. 52 isn't "major." Has it ever done so in Philadelphia?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green NEPA View Post
    WKXW also shows up respectably in the big Philadelphia market. They're marginally ahead of another 50,000 watt AM station there -- WPHT.

    I don't know of any other station that showed up in two major markets yet wasn't licensed to either. Perhaps someone here knows of a few.
    If I'm not mistaken, the old WHFS would show up in both DC and Baltimore.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    Posts
    1,444
    @ CT listener,

    Back before Arbitron got snobbish and used to release ALL the 12 + numbers, WOR and WABC used to take regular bows in the Philadelphia book. They'd be like 0.4 or 0.6 iIrc. I don't remember seeing WFAN there, although they could've shown and I missed it. Perhaps back when they were WNNNNNBC they'd pop up. That's before my time, though :- )

    True as the sunrise, though, WFAN showed in a lot of books. Hampton-Riverhead, New London, Cape Cod .... Jersey Shore ..... they regularly showed up ahead of Hartford's own sports station WPOP there! You're memory is correct.
    I can't think of another station ever to show up like Forrest Gump in as many different places.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Green NEPA View Post
    @ CT listener,

    Back before Arbitron got snobbish and used to release ALL the 12 + numbers, WOR and WABC used to take regular bows in the Philadelphia book. They'd be like 0.4 or 0.6 iIrc. I don't remember seeing WFAN there, although they could've shown and I missed it. Perhaps back when they were WNNNNNBC they'd pop up. That's before my time, though :- )

    True as the sunrise, though, WFAN showed in a lot of books. Hampton-Riverhead, New London, Cape Cod .... Jersey Shore ..... they regularly showed up ahead of Hartford's own sports station WPOP there!
    Hartford's sports station is now WUCS (97.9) and carries New York Yankees games, but it is so signal-challenged to the south and southwest (hemmed in by co-channel WSKQ New York, along with WCTY 97.7 Norwich and WCTK 98.1 New Bedford/Providence to the east and southeast) that it misses the parts the Hartford market where interest in New York teams is highest. It's also heavily dependent on ESPN Radio content -- never a big ratings grabber -- having only one locally originated show on its entire schedule. No surprise that the AM signal of WFAN from about 100 miles away is still a presence in the Hartford ratings!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us