Star 94 and 99X

Thread: Star 94 and 99X

Star 94 and 99X

Star 94 is now down to a 2.5 6+...when is the last time it's been that low?

One thing that has always puzzled me about 94.1 going back to the 94Q days is the fact that their format has wandered all over the place. In the late 1970s they were "Rock 40" with a nice little niche between AOR 96 Rock and CHR Z-93. Then they went AC when everybody else did in the early 80s after the CHR market bottomed out in 1981. Then they started adding all that jazz. I guess those moves were boomer-chasing. Then when Power 99 flipped to 99X after CHR bottomed out again they became the closest thing to a Top 40 left on the dial...kind of a super-hot AC. When Q100 debuted they went back in the AC direction, hotter than B98.5 but never a true CHR.

I guess the only constant has been some kind of flavor of AC after their Rock 40 days...but the station doesn't have an identity IMO. Not like B98.5 or Q100. It's just ripe for someone to reimage it with a new name...names with more and better heritage have been disposed of for less.

Speaking of 99X@98.9...it's now down to a 0.3 share 6+. Cumulus has done better with that translator before IIRC.
    "When broadcasting over the radio, there are certain words we must omit.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

Somehow I think 99X at 98.9 will have zero this month.

The closest Star 94 ever came to CHR was in 1993. Post Power 99 and pre program director change in 1994. I remember Summer 1993 playlist (purely by my memory) was...

Tony, Toni, Tone - If I Had No Loot
    Dino - Ooh Child
    Big Mountain - Ooh Baby I Love Your Way
    UB40 - Canít Help Falling in Love
    4 Non Blondes - Whatís Up
    Tell Me When - Human League
    Tears for Fears - Break it Down
    Stereo MCs - Connected
    New World Order - Regret
    Brian McKnight/Vanessa Williams - Love Is
    Ben Liebrand - Oh What A Night, 1963 - Remix of Four Seasons song
    Steve Miller Band - Wide River
    Jon Secada - Iím Free
    Simple Minds - Sheís a River
    Expose - Iíll Never Get Over You Getting Over Me
    Spin Doctors - Jimmy Olsen Blues

Time for Entercom to hIt the round table and reconsider the future for 94.1. I will not be surprised if they launch Alternative in the future.

It's a shame how far this station has fallen. I thought Entercom would know how to turn it around, but they've made it worse. I hear there are changes coming in the next few weeks, stay tuned.

It's interesting that 94Q never gets a mention as an old Atlanta station that people wish would come back. Quixie (AM) does, 96 Rock does, Z-93 (primarily the CHR version but also the classic rock version) does, 99X does, and occasionally even Fox 97 and Dave FM do.

Does AC just not make that kind of mark on peoples' hearts? All of the aforementioned stations went through a slow death (except maybe Dave FM), usually related to the ups and downs of their format, but each had a time when they were top-of-everyone's-minds.
    Like 'BEEP' and 'BUZZ' and 'GOBBLE-GOBBLE', by gosh we can't even say shhhhhaving cream!"

IMHO in the late 1970's there still were not that many FM radios in cars. With Gary Mckee's morning show being top 40 in nature, 94Q really was a "block" format station. Jefferson Pilot did not go top 40 on 94.1 for fear of taking away from 790. I believe 94Q was created to mess with 96 Rock.

Is there any past AC station that anyone would want to come back? Usually the only one that ever gets mentioned is Peach, and only as a BM/EZ station, or while lamenting the current Atlanta format hole for soft AC.

Does any nostalgia exist for any of these stations?

94Q
    Peach/Lite 94.9 (as AC, not BM/EZ)
    WLTA 100/Warm 100/Warm 99.7 (as AC, not BM/EZ)
    Lite 106.7 (OK, that wasn't around long before flipping to Y106)
    Fox 97 (as "soft rock of the 60s, 70s, and 80s", not "Good Times and Eight Oldies")

Heck, if B98.5 went off the air I don't think there would be a lot of nostalgia for it...

Some folks used to reminisce about "Jazz Flavours" on 94Q. But not so much today, with how maligned smooth jazz is today. Smooth jazz has become today's BM/EZ.

Quote Originally Posted by jabba17 View Post
    Is there any past AC station that anyone would want to come back? Usually the only one that ever gets mentioned is Peach, and only as a BM/EZ station, or while lamenting the current Atlanta format hole for soft AC.

Does any nostalgia exist for any of these stations?

94Q
    Peach/Lite 94.9 (as AC, not BM/EZ)
    WLTA 100/Warm 100/Warm 99.7 (as AC, not BM/EZ)
    Lite 106.7 (OK, that wasn't around long before flipping to Y106)
    Fox 97 (as "soft rock of the 60s, 70s, and 80s", not "Good Times and Eight Oldies")

Heck, if B98.5 went off the air I don't think there would be a lot of nostalgia for it...

Some folks used to reminisce about "Jazz Flavours" on 94Q. But not so much today, with how maligned smooth jazz is today. Smooth jazz has become today's BM/EZ.
    I miss Peach/Lite when they would play Casey Kasem on Sunday afternoons (2001-2006, 12pm-3pm first 3 years then 3pm-6pm last 3 years). Those were the days.