Inverted songs--hook first?

Thread: Inverted songs--hook first?

Inverted songs--hook first?

I have heard one radio station in town do this to Gotye "Somebody That I Used to Know," Ne-Yo "Let Me Love You" and several stations to Taio Cruz "Dynamite." For example of Gotye, the inverted song begins with "But you didn't have to cut me off...." before beginning the chorus. Have any examples of that being done?

I remembered back in the 2000s when I used to listen to Kiss FM (Dallas), they would play the chorus of certain songs (like the one you mentioned above) before the first verse. Not to mention lengthen up the chorus twice at times to make the song last longer. Idk why stations would do that...probably to appeal to the demographics that like songs better? I don't listen to them anymore so I can't tell if they still do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tall_guy1 View Post
    I have heard one radio station in town do this to Gotye "Somebody That I Used to Know," Ne-Yo "Let Me Love You" and several stations to Taio Cruz "Dynamite." For example of Gotye, the inverted song begins with "But you didn't have to cut me off...." before beginning the chorus. Have any examples of that being done?
    There are three official mixes of that Gotye song. The "radio mix" is :30 shorter, so that's probably the version you heard.

It's common in pop to provide multiple mixes of songs, and the station will usually take the radio mix.