Pamplin scraps plans for 740 in Redmond.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pamplin scraps plans for 740 in Redmond.

Pamplin scraps plans for 740 in Redmond.

From 2002...they finally decide to give up. There were 3 objections back in the day, and the story states there were some engineering changes. Nothing really ever took off on this.

Was it even possible to build? Where was the proposed transmitter location? I will have to go and lookup the info.

link

http://www.insideradio.com/free/pamp...104a43957.html

The FCC has accepted for filing, construction permit application by Pamplin Broadcasting for a new station on 740 kHz in Redmond. The application is for 50 kW day, 4.5 kW night at 47-39-54 121-54-11.

Dated 2004...

Quote Originally Posted by jockeyjohn View Post
    From 2002...they finally decide to give up. There were 3 objections back in the day, and the story states there were some engineering changes. Nothing really ever took off on this.

Was it even possible to build? Where was the proposed transmitter location? I will have to go and lookup the info.

link

http://www.insideradio.com/free/pamp...104a43957.html
    There were a lot of problems with this CP:

1. NIMBY's (Sammamish area)
    2. Terrible ground conductivity in that area.
    3. KIRO
    4. Nobody is building new AM stations anymore.
    5. The three year construction permit limit expired.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    There were a lot of problems with this CP:

1. NIMBY's (Sammamish area)
    2. Terrible ground conductivity in that area.
    3. KIRO
    4. Nobody is building new AM stations anymore.
    5. The three year construction permit limit expired.
    There's also the matter of 50KW first adjacencies in both Vancouver and Portland.

Soooo.....Does Pamplin have KKOL? Problem solved.

740 was pointless when it was applied for (aren't local AMs supposed to be spaced at least 40 kHz apart from the next local signal on the dial?)
    I do not have ducks.
    I do not have a row.
    I have squirrels and they're at a rave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post

740 was pointless when it was applied for (aren't local AMs supposed to be spaced at least 40 kHz apart from the next local signal on the dial?)
    Until the real engineers arrive, I can tell you that 30KHz is acceptable as long as the 25mv/m contour is protected. I believe that 20KHz is 5mv/m but don't quote me.

Quote Originally Posted by semoochie View Post
    Until the real engineers arrive, I can tell you that 30KHz is acceptable as long as the 25mv/m contour is protected. I believe that 20KHz is 5mv/m but don't quote me.
    Pamplin was using an outside consulting engineer to shoehorn-in these "50kW" AM applications all over the Northwest. Other than KPAM, few were actually built, and most were pretty useless from a practical standpoint. Redmond, was a prime example of a non-starter application.

Another one that I reviewed for my employer at the time years ago, was along the Oregon Coast: The CP proposed 50kW to fish, with less than 1kW overland to cover the city of license. The only real human listeners would have been the occasional overseas DX'er, but that audience wouldn't generate enough revenue to justify the stations existence, let alone construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    Nope. Pamplin sold KPAM to Intelli LLC a while ago. They're the ones doing the swap with Salem. Pamplin is out of radio.

Kelly is probably referring to KDUN Reedsport, Oregon which I believe Pamplin owned for a short while, they did install the 50kw transmitter which with all the sand and poor ground conductivity in the area carried about 20 miles north and south of the city. The subsequent ownership figured out quickly that the cost of electricity to run a 50kw heat sink in a small isolated town exceeded the revenue they could make selling advertising at a dollar a holler.

Quote Originally Posted by notalent View Post
    Kelly is probably referring to KDUN Reedsport, Oregon which I believe Pamplin owned for a short while, they did install the 50kw transmitter which with all the sand and poor ground conductivity in the area carried about 20 miles north and south of the city. The subsequent ownership figured out quickly that the cost of electricity to run a 50kw heat sink in a small isolated town exceeded the revenue they could make selling advertising at a dollar a holler.
    20 miles is actually pretty good for an Oregon Coast AM! Some of them barely make it out of town.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast