• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pamplin scraps plans for 740 in Redmond.

The FCC has accepted for filing, construction permit application by Pamplin Broadcasting for a new station on 740 kHz in Redmond. The application is for 50 kW day, 4.5 kW night at 47-39-54 121-54-11.

Dated 2004...

From 2002...they finally decide to give up. There were 3 objections back in the day, and the story states there were some engineering changes. Nothing really ever took off on this.

Was it even possible to build? Where was the proposed transmitter location? I will have to go and lookup the info.

link

http://www.insideradio.com/free/pam...cle_e9be6276-555d-11e8-a4e2-33f104a43957.html

There were a lot of problems with this CP:

1. NIMBY's (Sammamish area)
2. Terrible ground conductivity in that area.
3. KIRO
4. Nobody is building new AM stations anymore.
5. The three year construction permit limit expired.

There were a lot of problems with this CP:

1. NIMBY's (Sammamish area)
2. Terrible ground conductivity in that area.
3. KIRO
4. Nobody is building new AM stations anymore.
5. The three year construction permit limit expired.

There's also the matter of 50KW first adjacencies in both Vancouver and Portland.

Soooo.....Does Pamplin have KKOL? Problem solved.

740 was pointless when it was applied for (aren't local AMs supposed to be spaced at least 40 kHz apart from the next local signal on the dial?)

Soooo.....Does Pamplin have KKOL? Problem solved.

740 was pointless when it was applied for (aren't local AMs supposed to be spaced at least 40 kHz apart from the next local signal on the dial?)

Until the real engineers arrive, I can tell you that 30KHz is acceptable as long as the 25mv/m contour is protected. I believe that 20KHz is 5mv/m but don't quote me.

Until the real engineers arrive, I can tell you that 30KHz is acceptable as long as the 25mv/m contour is protected. I believe that 20KHz is 5mv/m but don't quote me.

Pamplin was using an outside consulting engineer to shoehorn-in these "50kW" AM applications all over the Northwest. Other than KPAM, few were actually built, and most were pretty useless from a practical standpoint. Redmond, was a prime example of a non-starter application.

Another one that I reviewed for my employer at the time years ago, was along the Oregon Coast: The CP proposed 50kW to fish, with less than 1kW overland to cover the city of license. The only real human listeners would have been the occasional overseas DX'er, but that audience wouldn't generate enough revenue to justify the stations existence, let alone construction.

Kelly is probably referring to KDUN Reedsport, Oregon which I believe Pamplin owned for a short while, they did install the 50kw transmitter which with all the sand and poor ground conductivity in the area carried about 20 miles north and south of the city. The subsequent ownership figured out quickly that the cost of electricity to run a 50kw heat sink in a small isolated town exceeded the revenue they could make selling advertising at a dollar a holler.

Kelly is probably referring to KDUN Reedsport, Oregon which I believe Pamplin owned for a short while, they did install the 50kw transmitter which with all the sand and poor ground conductivity in the area carried about 20 miles north and south of the city. The subsequent ownership figured out quickly that the cost of electricity to run a 50kw heat sink in a small isolated town exceeded the revenue they could make selling advertising at a dollar a holler.

20 miles is actually pretty good for an Oregon Coast AM! Some of them barely make it out of town.

KDUN's skywave was pretty impressive though. We had problems in Shelton when it appeared they might have forgotten to turn the power down... On occasion, their 640 watt night power could be heard up here as well.

As I understand it, Pamplin was trying to build a network of high-power stations that, combined, would reach down the west coast from Portland into California. The Redmond effort may have been part of that vision.

Pamplin bought KDUN and took its day power to 50kW from 10. On one occasion, the transmitter building flooded and took the whole place down. One of the better-known Portland engineers went down there and got it going again.

I don't think Pamplin made any money in Reedsport, and the station seems to have been in a financial rut since they got out. The last 3 owners paid about the same price for the station... basically, about the cost of the transmitter. Two of the three had problems, just paying the power bill for the Nautels that Pamplin put in there. Several years ago, a client sent us down to have a look at the place. The transmitter building had no power at that time. Pamplin did a nice job with the installation though.

The station's best shot probably came from the owner, previous to the current one. He was a retired Spokane engineer who, with his wife, turned the place into a Mom & Pop that was about as engaged in the community as you could expect. When he passed, his wife sold the place for exactly what they paid for it and headed back to Spokane. It's been on and, mostly, off ever since.

For the few here who may not have heard a million times, KDUN was where Delilah got her start. It was also used for many years as the company-owned test station for CBSI broadcast (traffic and billing) software.

Last edited:
I've even heard KDUN under KMAS and KTWO here before, usually right around sunrise or sunset. Last I heard it was running what I'd describe as a hybrid AC Standards format.

Damn. Kelly wasn't kidding about 50 kW to fish!

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KDUN-AM&h=D

But I wouldn't give up hope on KDUN just yet. The scientists say there's an active undersea volcano off the Oregon Coast, the Axial Seamount, well within that BIG 50kW blast zone that could sprout up a brand new island someday. And were that to happen, it would be the first place on earth where radio service was established BEFORE humans set foot on it.

Thanks for starting my Monday with a laugh! That would be kind of interesting, and with everything going on in Hawaii right now, that may not be too far in the future.

From 2002...they finally decide to give up. There were 3 objections back in the day, and the story states there were some engineering changes. Nothing really ever took off on this.

Was it even possible to build? Where was the proposed transmitter location? I will have to go and lookup the info.

link

http://www.insideradio.com/free/pam...cle_e9be6276-555d-11e8-a4e2-33f104a43957.html

This was a bad idea to begin with. Who listens to AM anyway? Younger listeners are not flocking to Ancient Modulation...they aren't really listening to FM either. It just a matter of time folks...even though I'd like to see broadcast radio survive. (I grew up listening to Seattle news on AM...hardly bother wit it now...there's nothing compelling.)

I've even heard KDUN under KMAS and KTWO here before, usually right around sunrise or sunset. Last I heard it was running what I'd describe as a hybrid AC Standards format.

Listening to KDUN's stream. Oldies with some minor hit songs thrown in. Kind of like the old KMCQ but with even deeper tracks. I enjoy it. Hope the fish do also.

Listening to KDUN's stream. Oldies with some minor hit songs thrown in. Kind of like the old KMCQ but with even deeper tracks. I enjoy it. Hope the fish do also.

Not completely sure where that's coming from... maybe California, where the company's from. The local phones are disconnected and I haven't heard their signal in a long time, not even when I think I've been in their coverage area. A couple of years back, their Facebook page said something about another flood. Don't think it's been back since then.

My unqualified speculation is the stream is an attempt to maintain some form of presence. Whether they'll turn the 50 back on is probably a matter of perspective. Even the new transmitters can make a power meter spin impressively.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom