• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is 95-3 KHYI Considered a Dallas Station?

I'm wondering if their audio issues are more related to the source audio files themselves.

I think it's just the volume on the transmitter, as when the signal for KHYI is weak on my radio it sounds distorted, but not distorted when it's stronger. I've been able to check out a lot of other weak signals, and many don't do this distortion thing but some do. Also there's the hissing noise which is there even during commercials. But over all KHYI plays some great music and doesn't sound terrible, there are just a few minor audio issues.

I can't speak to audio that was loaded into the automation system prior to my hire (May 2011), but since I've been on board, I import directly from CD to the automation system using it's built in function. Only rarely (when I can't get it any other way) do I import a song from an audio file. So the audio that has been put in over the last 7 years has more uniform levels... I know that they are off on songs (especially classics) that were put in before I arrived.

I can't speak to audio that was loaded into the automation system prior to my hire (May 2011), but since I've been on board, I import directly from CD to the automation system using it's built in function. Only rarely (when I can't get it any other way) do I import a song from an audio file. So the audio that has been put in over the last 7 years has more uniform levels... I know that they are off on songs (especially classics) that were put in before I arrived.

I had figured this was the case, I notice the MP3 artifacts before I notice anything else wrong with KHYI. (Although that hiss the other week was pretty noticeable). Of course KHYI has the same problem my station does, old files entered before my hire by folks that didn't know any better. Not to mention many of these older country songs weren't exactly Hi-Fi in their day either.

Nice to see a post on this board from someone who is in radio! I spent 10 years of my life in radio and I think KHYI is one of the better stations in D/FW radio. Even tried to get hired there once. I like the way the station is programed, the sound of the station, the format of the station and particularly, the ownership of the station who are local folks with local interest in mind and graduates of Texas Tech. Keep up the good work! More local radio stations with local interests are definitely big in my book. I was taught stations like KHYI were supposed to be what KHYI is!!

Chuck - it was 2005 when I tried to get a part-time and/or weekend position with KHYI. At the time, the Program Director was difficult to get in touch with so I tried to work with Joshua Jones. I knew his Father was a Texas Tech Graduate and I had met him some years back. Frankly, I tried to use Tech a shoe in. Sent an Air Check at the time, but never got a call.

I think it's just the volume on the transmitter, as when the signal for KHYI is weak on my radio it sounds distorted, but not distorted when it's stronger. I've been able to check out a lot of other weak signals, and many don't do this distortion thing but some do. Also there's the hissing noise which is there even during commercials. But over all KHYI plays some great music and doesn't sound terrible, there are just a few minor audio issues.

Part of the signal problem in the Summer (in particular) is caused by Tropospheric Propagation or "Ducting" as engineers call it. Not much I can do about that, I've reached out to engineers besides my own and they all say it's just something you have to deal with on certain frequencies, so now first thing I do every morning is look at this map: http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/ to see how bad it's going to be that day.
The hissing I agree is a problem, and as I mentioned I've talked to our engineer about tracking that down. Just know that I am constantly working to improve the audio chain.

Chuck - it was 2005 when I tried to get a part-time and/or weekend position with KHYI. At the time, the Program Director was difficult to get in touch with so I tried to work with Joshua Jones. I knew his Father was a Texas Tech Graduate and I had met him some years back. Frankly, I tried to use Tech a shoe in. Sent an Air Check at the time, but never got a call.

Well I don't have any positions actively open, but feel free to shoot me your stuff if you're ever looking, I'll at least shoot you a reply and keep it on file.

Part of the signal problem in the Summer (in particular) is caused by Tropospheric Propagation or "Ducting" as engineers call it. Not much I can do about that, I've reached out to engineers besides my own and they all say it's just something you have to deal with on certain frequencies, so now first thing I do every morning is look at this map: http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/ to see how bad it's going to be that day.
The hissing I agree is a problem, and as I mentioned I've talked to our engineer about tracking that down. Just know that I am constantly working to improve the audio chain.

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm getting closer on the hiss... I know for a fact that the hiss is not in the audio leaving the studio, which narrows it down to the audio chain at the transmitter. I was able to figure this out by listening to our stream on our app via my car's bluetooth speakers and switching back and forth between that and the actual over the air signal. Both originate from the exact same audio source... the stream is hiss free while the over the air signal is not. It is also worth noting that another chink in the chain may be that our transmitter is analog, not hd.

It is also worth noting that another chink in the chain may be that our transmitter is analog, not hd.

But all FM transmitters in the US are analog. Only a relatively small number also have HD added to the analog. So I don’t understand why being analog would be an issue of itself.

What are you using as an STL? Analog? Digital? Microwave? Fiber?
Also, what processor are you using ? Are you digital In to it? Does your engineer have a aphex compellor or similar at the studio to prevent overshoot on the stl?

Is the broadcast tower still on Wall Street in Gunter and did it move from County Line Road in Van Alstyne?

AFAIK KHYI hasn't moved since it signed on, the studio has moved more than once in that time though and I'm not sure where they are anymore. At one time they were in Allen and for the longest time they were in the Wells Fargo building off 75(?), I remember seeing their "KHYI 95.3" sign getting taken down several years ago though. I cannot remember if 92.1 was still oldies or had flipped already when they took the sign down.

According to their website, they are now in an office building on Greenville Avenue in Dallas. It appears to be on the southwest corner of LBJ and Greenville.

Is that the same building when it was Y95?

R

The old KHYI 94.9 that was Y95 was in Las Colinas. This KHYI is 95.3 and is licensed to Howe. It's transmitter is near Van Alstyne in Grayson County. As the previous poster mentioned, they used to have studios in Allen, then moved to a building at US 75 and 15th (if I recall correctly) in Plano. Now they're at a building in what is kind of the Lake Highlands area of Dallas at LBJ and Greenville.

Oh that's right... Darn memory!

R

AFAIK KHYI hasn't moved since it signed on, the studio has moved more than once in that time though and I'm not sure where they are anymore. At one time they were in Allen and for the longest time they were in the Wells Fargo building off 75(?), I remember seeing their "KHYI 95.3" sign getting taken down several years ago though. I cannot remember if 92.1 was still oldies or had flipped already when they took the sign down.

Actually, it did move after it had been on the air for several years. The original tower site was near Van Alstyne, but when the station upgraded from a C3 to a C2 they also relocated to a tower site that was further north and west from that original tower.

Actually, it did move after it had been on the air for several years. The original tower site was near Van Alstyne, but when the station upgraded from a C3 to a C2 they also relocated to a tower site that was further north and west from that original tower.

That would be the Gunter location. It's north of FM121 and west of hwy 289 on Wall street.
Is the Van Alstyne site being used at this time?

That would be the Gunter location. It's north of FM121 and west of hwy 289 on Wall street.
Is the Van Alstyne site being used at this time?
Van Alstyne is a backup site that we have to use from time to time when transmitter/tower work is being done.

CT

What are you using as an STL? Analog? Digital? Microwave? Fiber?
Also, what processor are you using ? Are you digital In to it? Does your engineer have a aphex compellor or similar at the studio to prevent overshoot on the stl?

I program the station and do the morning show, I leave most of the engineering stuff to the engineer, those questions are out of my expertise. I have offered my opinions to the engineer and owner about the sound quality and push to have changes made, that's about as much as I can do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom