New person entering

Thread: New person entering

New person entering

Hello,

I have been listening to radio since kindergarten. As a kid fiddling around with my fathers sony cassette player in 1998, I stumbled upon KRTH and discovered it stood out from all the other stations on the FM dial. It played Oldies. KLOS was Rock, Arrow 93.1 (KCBS-FM) was CHR, and KCMG or Mega 100 had a Rhythmic format. Listening to KRTH for the first time, I was unaware the station had been sold to Beastly Broadcasting 10 years earlier and the playlist had been shortened to about 380-390 songs in rotation focusing on British Invasion/Motown. but since I was a kid I didn't know any better so I just took what the station gave to me and that was it. Since I only listened to KRTH in my dad's car taking me/picking me up from school or at home, the songs all sounded fresh to me, never mind what others are saying. KRTH was just for medium car trips like going to grandma's house, cosco, the train store etc. Looking back as an adult, I was very lucky to discover oldies on FM, something that is virtually rare and impossible today unless you live in a small market were the PPM is absent.
    Last edited by ATSFGuy; 05-07-2018 at 04:33 PM.

do u have any mega 100 tapes

My dad had a small of tapes, they might have been deeper rock hits the radio skipped, I'm not sure what happened to them, could be buried somewhere in the garage. He now uses his phone for music, but still listens to KNX and KFI for news/traffic updates.

Quote Originally Posted by ATSFGuy View Post
    Hello,

I have been listening to radio since kindergarten. As a kid fiddling around with my fathers sony cassette player in 1998, I stumbled upon KRTH and discovered it stood out from all the other stations on the FM dial. It played Oldies. KLOS was Rock, Arrow 93.1 (KCBS-FM) was CHR, and KCMG or Mega 100 had a Rhythmic format. Listening to KRTH for the first time, I was unaware the station had been sold to Beastly Broadcasting 10 years earlier and the playlist had been shortened to about 380-390 songs in rotation focusing on British Invasion/Motown. but since I was a kid I didn't know any better so I just took what the station gave to me and that was it. Since I only listened to KRTH in my dad's car taking me/picking me up from school or at home, the songs all sounded fresh to me, never mind what others are saying. KRTH was just for medium car trips like going to grandma's house, cosco, the train store etc. Looking back as an adult, I was very lucky to discover oldies on FM, something that is virtually rare and impossible today unless you live in a small market were the PPM is absent.
    Well, welcome again! Great memories you retained. And a great post too. I certainly remember Mega 100. They even issued a CD, with nice music on it, including the album versions of "Reunited" and "Cruisin', running just over five minutes and a Stylistics song or two I believe. You can find that on eBay usually. Yeah, those were the days for K-Earth for sure. I believe that Beasley sale happened in 1988, taking over from RKO Broadcasting.
    Last edited by oldies76; 05-08-2018 at 12:40 AM.
    Celebrating 63 Years of Rock & Roll Memories!

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Looking back as an adult, I was very lucky to discover oldies on FM, something that is virtually rare and impossible today unless you live in a small market were the PPM is absent.
    It's not the PPM that has caused 60's and 70's oldies stations to disappear. It's the source of revenue; in markets where much or most advertising comes through agencies, stations that have very old audiences don't make money.

The bigger the market, the lower the percentage of non-agency buys. Agency accounts seldom buy any part of the 55 and over audience, so oldies, which appeals to folks in their late 50's, 60's and 70's, is not a viable format.

In smaller markets, more and more revenue comes from direct local accounts. A good station with good sellers can successfully create revenue with an oldies format.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by oldies76 View Post
    I believe that Beasley sale happened in 1988, taking over from RKO Broadcasting.

Yes, they were the beneficiary of the "fire sale" of that RKO combo when the actions by RKO's parent, General Tire, cause them to be declared unfit to continue as licensees. Many wanted straight license revocation, but that would have deprived some major markets of some good signals for years as the application process proceeded.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

As a kid fiddling around with my fathers sony cassette player in 1998, I stumbled upon KRTH and discovered it stood out from all the other stations on the FM dial. It played Oldies.
    Greetings and welcome.

Before becoming "Arrow 93.1," KCBS-FM had attempted to compete (unsuccessfully) with KRTH 101 as "Oldies 93."

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    Yes, they were the beneficiary of the "fire sale" of that RKO combo when the actions by RKO's parent, General Tire, cause them to be declared unfit to continue as licensees. Many wanted straight license revocation, but that would have deprived some major markets of some good signals for years as the application process proceeded.
    I recall the FCC's citing RKO General's "egregious lack of candor."
    Plugged into the electric radio

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Greetings and welcome.

Before becoming "Arrow 93.1," KCBS-FM had attempted to compete (unsuccessfully) with KRTH 101 as "Oldies 93."

I recall the FCC's citing RKO General's "egregious lack of candor."
    But the root cause of the disqualification as a licensee had to do with the bribery convictions of General Tire for its behavior in Libya and Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

But the root cause of the disqualification as a licensee had to do with the bribery convictions of General Tire for its behavior in Libya and Argentina.
    Really? The FCC did not recognize customary business practices when evaluating a licensee's performance? That seems a bit strange. Although bribery in the USA is mostly illegal and definitely frowned upon it is the norm (or was) in a host of foreign countries.
    Illegitimi non carborundum