• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is there a reason why WONN does not stream

Tea Men

New Participating Member
Recently I looked in TuneIn for stations a little bit further away from St.Petersburg that stream so that I could listen to them at night. WWRZ Lakeland does stream but WONN Lakeland says that stream not available in this area. Does anyone know why. Both stations are owned by Hall Communications. Because AM or FM signals for WONN are not strong at night, you would hope that WONN would be streaming 24 hrs a day.

Could be geo-fencing. It's something that smaller radio stations do to limit the cost of music licensing to their target area. The SoundExchange bill can range into the thousands of dollars for these stations, and often isn't covered by advertising.

Could be geo-fencing. It's something that smaller radio stations do to limit the cost of music licensing to their target area. The SoundExchange bill can range into the thousands of dollars for these stations, and often isn't covered by advertising.

I have found many smaller stations or even full power FM’s not part of a big chain of stations, choose not to stream; WAVV 101.1 Naples is one such station and they mention in their FAQ’s on their website that they do not stream because of the prohibitive price of royalities they would have to pay.

BIgA’s point is well taken, unfortunate but true! :(

Thanks for both answers drt and TheBigA, When I listen WONN not a lot of local spots but mostly national ads which they have clear every hour. I can see why the money would not be there for streaming.

(post retracted due to possibly wrong information...whoops!)

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom