A great place for a good mix - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A great place for a good mix

It's been a few years since I've been up there, but if I remember correctly Seattle had some difficulties, but would be another great DX spot.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    It's been a few years since I've been up there, but if I remember correctly Seattle had some difficulties, but would be another great DX spot.
    A DX camping trip weekend out to Moran State Park on Orcas should yield generous results with your smartphone FM radio (which usually have near car radio quality reception and filtering) in spite of KISM/KAFE/KWPZ. Go up the lookout tower where you get a near perfect 360 degree view of Puget Sound from WAY high up with your smartphone radio. Chances are, you won't be the only DXer up there, as I have seen others with headphones/earbuds and fiddling with their phones up there.
    My body is a temple; Ancient and crumbling. Probably cursed and haunted...

Keep in mind that two full class C’s broadcast from Mt Constitution (KAFE and KISM). That being said, you should have little problem with BC stations as you can see both Victoria and Lower Mainland from the observation tower

My guess is Seattle might give you a little trouble on certain stations—probably those on second adjacents to the two stations mentioned above and in cases where two stations are on the same channel, like KBCS/CJZN, the Canadian station will likely be the one you hear.
    As we used to say down in ol' Mexico City...A.M.F.!

Last time I was at Oak Harbor was August 2011. CHQM-103.5 was rock solid at the Coachman Inn where I stayed. (The family went up to Whidbey Island for an overnight shellfish trip - and we came back with the legal limits of butter and littleneck clams out of Penn Cove! That beach is now closed to clam digging until 2019 due to conservation efforts.) Otherwise, I also had a faint CITR-101.9 Victoria (no CFUV) at Oak Harbor, along with CJSU, KSQM and others. 96.1 was a rock solid CHKG, but I was able to find some small nulls and get KXXO. KDDS was a lost cause due to CFOX.
    Deception Pass was also a fun spot, but I like my ideas better - the Marina Beach Park at Edmonds, Yost Park in Edmonds, downtown Shelton, North Bend and Chinook Pass. If you want to drive 2-3 hours out of Seattle, you would LOVE the DX action along the Washington coast. You can get several Newport OR stations 24/7 at Pacific Beach, over 170 miles away. The Moclips/Pacific Beach/Seabrook areas are far enough from Aberdeen xmitters to not cause problems. Of course, Sunny 102.1, 105.7 the Jet and others are just fine out there but they do have their drop-outs. KXPB-LP 89.1 is a trainwreck of music and you never know what you'll hear on that station. And they even have a stream as I recall!

Of course I could go all-out and pick the best dead-band FM scan I've ever done, which was on top of a mountain in the Goat Rocks Wilderness SE of White Pass - at 7,350 feet! I had translators as far as 170 miles up there (that translator was K283BH 104.5 Bend, OR, repeating KBNW-1340), almost every channel was 2 deep at least. 93.1 was a sloppy mess of CKYE and believe it or not, the KJET translator in Montesano! 88.1 had so many stations I couldn't even count them all. KWAO was one of them, the others were likely Union Gap, Sunnyside, Kennewick, you name it. It's a tough hike - you have to take a very rough forest road to get there, and it was full of big rocks and such to drive around.
    Last edited by crainbebo; 05-09-2018 at 02:13 AM.
    780 AM's in the log, 656 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KWEN 95.5 Tulsa OK (7/23/18 Es)
    Last New AM Log: 1530 KGBT Harlingen, TX, 12/8/2018

Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    Last time I was at Oak Harbor was August 2011. CHQM-103.5 was rock solid at the Coachman Inn where I stayed. (The family went up to Whidbey Island for an overnight shellfish trip - and we came back with the legal limits of butter and littleneck clams out of Penn Cove! That beach is now closed to clam digging until 2019 due to conservation efforts.) Otherwise, I also had a faint CITR-101.9 Victoria (no CFUV) at Oak Harbor, along with CJSU, KSQM and others. 96.1 was a rock solid CHKG, but I was able to find some small nulls and get KXXO. KDDS was a lost cause due to CFOX.
    Deception Pass was also a fun spot, but I like my ideas better - the Marina Beach Park at Edmonds, Yost Park in Edmonds, downtown Shelton, North Bend and Chinook Pass. If you want to drive 2-3 hours out of Seattle, you would LOVE the DX action along the Washington coast. You can get several Newport OR stations 24/7 at Pacific Beach, over 170 miles away. The Moclips/Pacific Beach/Seabrook areas are far enough from Aberdeen xmitters to not cause problems. Of course, Sunny 102.1, 105.7 the Jet and others are just fine out there but they do have their drop-outs. KXPB-LP 89.1 is a trainwreck of music and you never know what you'll hear on that station. And they even have a stream as I recall!

Of course I could go all-out and pick the best dead-band FM scan I've ever done, which was on top of a mountain in the Goat Rocks Wilderness SE of White Pass - at 7,350 feet! I had translators as far as 170 miles up there (that translator was K283BH 104.5 Bend, OR, repeating KBNW-1340), almost every channel was 2 deep at least. 93.1 was a sloppy mess of CKYE and believe it or not, the KJET translator in Montesano! 88.1 had so many stations I couldn't even count them all. KWAO was one of them, the others were likely Union Gap, Sunnyside, Kennewick, you name it. It's a tough hike - you have to take a very rough forest road to get there, and it was full of big rocks and such to drive around.
    Agreed. I head out to the Washington coast once a year for a vacation, and always bring a radio with me. I caught some fantastic AM and FM catches out there. I even know of a gentleman who's picked up Australian ABC radio out there before. I would say that our coastline is easily the most interesting place for a DXer!

Quote Originally Posted by fordranger797 View Post
    Agreed. I head out to the Washington coast once a year for a vacation, and always bring a radio with me. I caught some fantastic AM and FM catches out there. I even know of a gentleman who's picked up Australian ABC radio out there before. I would say that our coastline is easily the most interesting place for a DXer!
    Sometimes, you may even pick up North Korea on the coast (the 1500kW 657 kHz Pyongyang relay makes an appearance occasionally. And it's pretty easy to distinguish North Korean from South Korean/American Korean by the tone of voice used by the announcers and the type of music you hear.)

I picked up the Pyongyang 657 here in Yakima last fall. Their bizarre music and salutes to the Great Leader are often heard by several DXers on Vancouver Island during the fall and winter. Of course, the Japanese stations and HLAZ-1566 were hot that morning too. What had to be Pyongyang on 819 khz (K.C.B.S) had a nasty het all over KGNW-820. I've heard about 10 Asian stations here and yet have never gotten KFQD 750 Anchorage, nor KYUK-640, KNOM-780 or KICY-850 which are common catches for the coast and Vancouver Island DXers. (I got KTZN-550 years ago, once heard KINY-800 Juneau, and hear KTKN-930 a few times a year).
    Back on topic...FM of course.
    780 AM's in the log, 656 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KWEN 95.5 Tulsa OK (7/23/18 Es)
    Last New AM Log: 1530 KGBT Harlingen, TX, 12/8/2018

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fordranger797 View Post
    There are several members of the National Radio Club who occasionally go to a selected scenic turnoff on a coastal highway that sits on the top of a cliff. On one of these expeditions, they logged something like 50 New Zealand stations, including many in the 1 kw range.

Those coastal locations in your area seem to be marvelous DX locations.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

There are several members of the National Radio Club who occasionally go to a selected scenic turnoff on a coastal highway that sits on the top of a cliff. On one of these expeditions, they logged something like 50 New Zealand stations, including many in the 1 kw range.

Any location off Highway 101 far away from any city RF noise on the coast is perfect for AM. Definitely one for the bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

If it's the ultralight MW DXers that you are referring to, the cliff is a several hundred foot cliff near Rockaway, Oregon (S. of Seaside), which I think is on public land.

Gary Bock and a few others take their ultralight MW radios and ferrite-sleeve loop antennas and hear Oz and NZ a lot, especially during the Spring and Fall when apparently the solar conditions favor propagation to those areas.

I can't see why a similar location in Washington wouldn't also serve a similar purpose.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast