• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TuneIn dropped friend's broadcast radio station listing, now what?

Well, this isn't very encoraging: https://help.tunein.com/where-is-the-add-station-form--r19jJ_ajz It states:

"Where is the add station form?LAST UPDATE: APR 12 2018 5:46PM
At this time we are not adding new stations to our directory."

A couple of months ago, TuneIn decided to delist my friend's broadcast radio station. Have tried to contact them about a month ago to get it relisted but have heard bupkus. Now we know why.

Have to admit that a lot of things have changed in the 2½ years since I shut down my online only streaming station. It seems a lot harder to get listed on what used to be fairly important directories. I'm out of touch with what's happening in the online streaming world today.

1. What are some alternatives to list a station stream so that it shows up on a commonly used smartphone app like TuneIn?
2. With smartspeaker technology like Alexa® and others, being able to say "Find (station name) on TuneIn" would be a lot easier than having to have someone design a custom skill just for a station. In short it just isn't going to happen in a county-seat type station, where it's everything they can do just to afford to maintain an obsolete website, let alone spending speculative dollars on the newest up-and-coming thing.

Finally, if your online stream doesn't have metadata attached to go along with the songs being played, I'm concerned that continuing to stream music programming is a bad, bad idea. But being out of the loop on current practice, I need some definitive examples to present on why the station's stream needs to go silent except during local spoken word broadcasts.

Yep...I've been talking about this for a while.

TuneIn is focused more on creating their own original content than in being a platform for broadcast radio. They just felt there was no future in that business.

I agree with the rest of your post, but I don't really have any suggestions for you.

Thanks....I'm thinking that until the station in question can transmit metadata with their online stream, they should forget streaming. It's satellite programming, so doubt there will be any metadata ever.

NextRadio might still be an option for his other station which is locally originated automation w/metadata.

Yep...I've been talking about this for a while.
TuneIn is focused more on creating their own original content than in being a platform for broadcast radio.
By adding streams from MSNBC, CNN (Two CABLE news channel), Fox News Radio, NBC Sports Radio, CBS Sports Radio, ESPN Radio (Radio networks) ??

Yeah....."Original" content alright.....

And that doesn't include the 1000+ terrestrial radio stations across the country (Which they DO NOT own BTW) NOR does it include all the other FOREIGN stations either (Which they ALSO don't own)

At least iHeartRadio is owned by iHeartMedia (Which DOES own radio stations). They also provide listings for public radio stations (Mostly NPR affiliates) as well other broadcasters whom they also COMPETE with for listeners. The same CANNOT be said for TuneIn.....

Finally (As a side note), TuneIn isn't even up to date with it's Xbox app (It STILL has THE OLD logo on it). You can tell the last time the app was updated, it was when Xbox still supported SNAP FUNCTIONALITY - Something it NO LONGER has (And going to the HOME screen only ENDS the stream :( )

So you can tell where their focus IS NOT (Though if you ask them, they'll claim otherwise (Yes, they said as much to me via Twitter too)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom