• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oldies back in Asheville

Interesting...a translator that's being fed from an HD-3 station. So actually the station has been on the air, but only receivable as HD-3. Until now.

Reception in and around Asheville of anything but Kiss 99.9 and WMIT isn't very good. This won't be an exception.

Interesting...a translator that's being fed from an HD-3 station. So actually the station has been on the air, but only receivable as HD-3. Until now.
I don't think that's the case. Maybe I didn't read it carefully, but the HD-3 and the translator have both been all sports.

The new translator for the sports station is on the same frequency as the WCQS translator in Maggie Valley. That's too close.

This is a good station!

Now this is how all oldies stations should sound. If they're going to play "Walk This Way" and the depressing protest songs, they should just go ahead and do that and call it "classic hits". The name "Good Time Oldies", which a station in my area uses, doesn't work. Because I am not having a good time.

Some of the Asheville station's songs not only fit on a standards format (most of them do), but are actual standards which i would not have expected on oldies radio. Nat King Cole! Now i have heard Johnny Mathis on oldies, but not this song.

The signal was pretty good all the way from Black Mountain. I was still having trouble with WKBC there, but that didn't last. As soon as I got off on 19-23, it was pretty much gone. I tried WESC but all I got was some garbage called 92.5 Kiss FM. Not country. At least I don't think it was. Eventually there was nothing there. What is wrong?

With my alternator replaced, WPTL was coming in just fine there. In fact, i was getting WMNC in Morganton all the way to the top of the steep grade at Old Fort.

I heard WPTL had an FM signal, but that doesn't mean a lot to me.

i looked it up (I forget about The Mountaineer but I can start looking at it) and found this: "But with a recent change in FCC regulations ..."

"They wanted to allow for all stations to have FM transmitters. They opened a window to FM between July 6 and Aug. 22 for class C and D stations."

"They wanted to open it up for anyone who said they had a need for the channel."

I don't know what was going on, but east of Canton, where there were no exits for miles, traffic was backed up. I was finally able to get off the interstate at the Candler exit and I was able to go really fast from there to Asheville. Well, until there were stop lights and a lower speed limit. I tried this station and all I got was WKBC. WESC was sounding mostly good at this point, though. But enough of Lee Bright! Without TiVo I had to put up with attack ad after attack ad after attack ad. Lee Bright must be the most evil politician in history. And also a Trump supporter who is the greatest person ever. And then there are those other candidates for other offices, all also evil. Or the greatest person ever. I taped all network programming on the TiVo at home and watched movies on channels I don't pay for at home. No political ads! I did tape "Jeopardy" ...

The Asheville station doesn't seem to have real ads. Only public service announcements. And great classic commercials. The music mix on the way home wasn't quite as good, but still okay, and I lost it at Ridgecrest, where WMNC was really really quiet but there.

Forgot to mention while we were still moving at a snail's pace on I-40, I tried Rewind. Naturally, I didn't find its classic hits mix appealing. But I wasn't going to listen to any more political commercials on WESC.

You were getting E skip on FM, hearing the 92.5 Kiss over WESC. Probably either Toronto or Toledo.
We have been getting it weekly here in east TN and I’ve logged FM’s from New Brusnwick Canada, Maine, and Arizona from here near Chattanooga.

Chris

You were getting E skip on FM, hearing the 92.5 Kiss over WESC. Probably either Toronto or Toledo.
We have been getting it weekly here in east TN and I’ve logged FM’s from New Brusnwick Canada, Maine, and Arizona from here near Chattanooga.

Chris
WESC must have been off the air (June 20 around 2:00 in the afternoon) because I was hearing nothing at all the second time I tried, and the signal was fine in the same location on the way home.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom