KNX/Los Angeles Celebrates 50 Years of Service - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: KNX/Los Angeles Celebrates 50 Years of Service

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Sinclair Broadcasting does editorials all the time on their TV stations.
    By "all the time," do you mean that Sinclair's news programming is entirely editorial? To me, Sinclair newscasts represent a sort of broadcast edition of Bill Loeb's Manchester Union Leader, a paper whose editorials routinely appeared on the front page.
    Plugged into the electric radio

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    By "all the time," do you mean that Sinclair's news programming is entirely editorial?
    No, not at all. In the middle of their local newscast, which is done in a traditional way, they all are required to run a brief national editorial, hosted by a company spokesman Mark Hyman.

Quote Originally Posted by LKellerIII View Post
    The General Manager doing the editorials was always very serious, and had a great deep stentorian voice - I remember wondering if he had ever worked on-air other than to do the opinion pieces. The best part was his name - Cal Bolwinkel.
    Was the executive producer's name some variant of Ponsonby Britt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Was the executive producer's name some variant of Ponsonby Britt?
    Ha! good memory. Or perhaps Peter 'Wrongway' Peachfuzz, which was a dig on a Jay Ward collaborator, producer Peter Piech (Tennessee Tuxedo, etc.).

Poor Mr. Bolwinkel couldn't help his name, but every time he pompously intoned some super serious editorial and ended with, "For TV 40, I'm Cal Bolwinkel"...it was hard not to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by LKellerIII View Post
    Poor Mr. Bolwinkel couldn't help his name, but every time he pompously intoned some super serious editorial and ended with, "For TV 40, I'm Cal Bolwinkel"...it was hard not to laugh.
    While I've never seen Mr. Bolwinkel, the mental imagery is most amusing! Thanks for the morning chuckle, Llew.
    Last edited by Kemosabe; 05-23-2018 at 11:46 AM.

When I was probably too young to remember, Cal Bolwinkel worked at WOWO in Fort Wayne, Indiana using the name "Cal Stewart". I have heard that he took a bit of on-air ribbing about his real name there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmXN0z6NIZc

Here is an interesting ad from the 1990's. This was when KNX was then competing against KFWB for All News in Los Angeles and this was before the CBS Westinghouse merger came into play and get KFWB and KNX under the same owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMYeb0KKbxU

And here is KNX promo from 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPatrol View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmXN0z6NIZc

Here is an interesting ad from the 1990's. This was when KNX was then competing against KFWB for All News in Los Angeles and this was before the CBS Westinghouse merger came into play and get KFWB and KNX under the same owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMYeb0KKbxU

And here is KNX promo from 1987.
    Wow. Bill Keane. There's a bit of LA media history. In the 60s, when the most popular LA TV news broadcasts were The Big News and the 11 O'Clock Report on KNXT Channel 2, Bill Keane was the weather guy, along with Jerry Dunphy (anchor), Gil Stratton sports, Ralph Story, and many more.

If memory serves, KNXT lost the ratings race to KNBC in the early 70s when Tom Snyder, Tom Brokaw, and Jess Marlow were brought in, so KNXT reacted at some point by cleaning house - I recall that Dunphy ended up at KABC, so I guess Keane defaulted to the radio job at KNX.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234