I'd check out 93.3 today at 3p - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 66

Thread: I'd check out 93.3 today at 3p

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by AQH View Post
    How do you propose selling today’s KUBE with no local program director, one live and local show and what is so far a very edgy rhythmic, far from mainstream product to Seattle advertisers who have a long history of steering clear of the format even when it was closer to mainstream?
    Easy, the same way they sold Power. Katz will package KUBE in with other Top 40's across the country and sell it nationally. The vast majority of 93.3's ad revenue over the past 5+ years has come through national. Buyers on that level are looking at how many points they can buy in a market, they don't dig into the details of every station on their buy sheet, so KUBE will get on those buys.

    Locally they'll get dollars from concert promoters (Live Nation/AEG), attorneys, nightclubs, direct response/remnant buyers, a few car dealers, and maybe the local community colleges. Looking back at the last full year of KUBE (2015), of the 700+ accounts they had on-air, roughly 100 were local. I don't expect that to change very much with KUBE 2.0.

  2. #42
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    37,249
    Quote Originally Posted by iamarussianpirate View Post
    Easy, the same way they sold Power. Katz will package KUBE in with other Top 40's across the country and sell it nationally.
    In my experience, which includes having been a NSM and dealing with reps, reps present clients with "packages" that cover the desired client demos. So, for a buy against 25-44 women might include CHR, Hot AC, AC, urban, urban AC, Spanish Contemporary and Country stations that are efficient in reaching that demo and which, individually and on a market by market basis, meet the CPP goals of the agency.

    Unless a campaign is specifically targeted via the creative to a single format or small group of formats, there are not many format-specific buys. But if the creative featured Katy Perry as spokesperson, then they might buy only CHRs and Hot ACs that did well in the target demo.

    The vast majority of 93.3's ad revenue over the past 5+ years has come through national. Buyers on that level are looking at how many points they can buy in a market, they don't dig into the details of every station on their buy sheet, so KUBE will get on those buys.
    About 25% of Seattle revenue is from non-local agency business. Of course, the bulk of national is concentrated in the 8 to 12 stations at the top of the rankers, so major stations have higher national percentages. But nobody can live on national alone.

    Keep in mind that many "national" account buys are placed by local franchisees, dealer associations, via coop dollars, etc.

    For example, some time back I used to deal extensively with the Lenscrafters account, then placed out of Cincinnati. While the buy was "national" it was placed only with the consent and approval of the local store managers. So I did semi-annual meets with them to see if they were happy with the results, and participated in their marketing concerns. This got me a renewal every time; the buy was national but the final decision was local.

    And with national undergoing a steady migration to new media, local is even more important. Look at the Q1 financial reports so far: the only company reporting revenue increases is Saga, and Ed Christian focuses on local all the way, in both programming and sales.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post
    Look at the Q1 financial reports so far: the only company reporting revenue increases is Saga, and Ed Christian focuses on local all the way, in both programming and sales.
    And local is what radio does best. But AEs have to work harder to to generate that local business and initially make less so they go instead for the lower-handing fruit.

  4. #44
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    37,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Piotrowski View Post
    And local is what radio does best. But AEs have to work harder to to generate that local business and initially make less so they go instead for the lower-handing fruit.
    If given an option on who to call on, yes, that occurs.

    Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to mix direct and agency accounts on individual seller's lists; the skills needed for one type of sale are not usually compatible with the skills needed for the other. It's transactional selling vs. relationship selling.

    Some exceptions will occur. In 54 years in management, including stints as DoS, GSM, NSM and group sales manager I have never seen one of them. But I am told they exist. I've been told that about the Sasquatch, too.

    Bad agency sellers can, indeed, grab low hanging fruit by quoting low rates or by repping a top rated station. Otherwise, agency selling requires a very good skill set.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 05-15-2018 at 06:26 AM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    6,022
    Everybody gets nostalgic sometimes and ponder the what-ifs, the coulda/woulda/shouldas and that kind of thing. But over time, it's become my observation that when a radio station does get a second life, it never matches it's previous quality or success because the times have changed and so has everyone and everything else. And it usually ends up a regrettable mess.
    Pro-Wrestling: A sport where people without pants fight for a belt.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    Everybody gets nostalgic sometimes and ponder the what-ifs, the coulda/woulda/shouldas and that kind of thing. But over time, it's become my observation that when a radio station does get a second life, it never matches it's previous quality or success because the times have changed and so has everyone and everything else. And it usually ends up a regrettable mess.
    Precisely why the notions of resurrecting shows from the past are mocked.

  7. #47
    I finally listened to KUBE. This is rediculous. It’s a time warp from 2003-2007. It’s the “hip-hop” lifestyle, man. The times and the music has changed. Listen carefully to such groups as The Chainsmokers. Slightly Electronic and Pop. This is the trend.

    Yes, I predict Tacoma, Bremerton, Everett will do well for KUBE. Anywhere there is a Military base.
    But King County, not so much. High housing costs leave only the highly educated and highly-paid Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing, Google, etc young worker. With a large percentage having advanced graduate degrees and the majority having Bachelors of Science/Arts degrees. No more “hip-hop” lifestyle. They are way beyond this now in 2018.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Edmonds, Washington
    Posts
    2,361
    I think there will be pockets of King County where this will do well, like Auburn, Federal Way, and maybe even Burean. To me, it doesn't seem like most military people would listen to KUBE, but then again I thought many Access drivers listened to KING or KUOW. Yes there are a few, but the vast majority listen to other stations.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Market 12
    Posts
    354
    I was reading somewhere on this forum where someone wondered if KUBE 2.0 would last. Correction: this is KUBE 3.0. KUBE 1.0 lasted from spring 1981, to winter 1991. What was sandwiched in between was KUBE 2.0.

    Time for iHM to reinvent 93.30 MHz with something that actually works. (Maybe in six months they'll blow it up for Power 2.0.)

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by FMSteve View Post
    I finally listened to KUBE. This is rediculous. It’s a time warp from 2003-2007. It’s the “hip-hop” lifestyle, man. The times and the music has changed. Listen carefully to such groups as The Chainsmokers. Slightly Electronic and Pop. This is the trend.

    Yes, I predict Tacoma, Bremerton, Everett will do well for KUBE. Anywhere there is a Military base.
    But King County, not so much. High housing costs leave only the highly educated and highly-paid Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing, Google, etc young worker. With a large percentage having advanced graduate degrees and the majority having Bachelors of Science/Arts degrees. No more “hip-hop” lifestyle. They are way beyond this now in 2018.
    Seattle itself has just over 650,000 people. The rest of King County, where the working class (and working poor) live, has the other 1.4 million. Whenever I hear someone's car stereo blasting out the surrounding windows south of the Seattle border where I work, I hear hip-hop and rap more than any other form of music. Sometimes I'll hear pop. But mostly loud rap and hip-hop.

    Otherwise, your point is well taken.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us