WJDA application forFM translator - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WJDA application forFM translator

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post
    "Prepared by Dennis Jackson".Isn't or wasn't he owner of WMEX-LP in NH?
    I don’t think Dennis is an owner of WMEX-LP, but he was also involved there as an engineering consultant and was the voice of the voice-tracked mid-day DJ. I believe WMEX-LP is owned by Gary James, a former PD of WMEX, Boston in its mid-‘80s “Oldies 1150” incarnation, and a partner there in NH.

Dennis was also involved with the former full-power WMEX-FM 106.5 in NH and may have co-owned that with Gary.

Dennis also briefly had the WMEX call letters on a couple of stations that he owned elsewhere, I think the one in Plattsburgh, NY serving an area of the Champlain Valley in northwestern Vermont, and one on Martha’s Vineyard that became the current WMVY.

Heard a rumor they may get back on before deadline expires, maybe oldies block on weekend.

Btw, Scott Fybush responded to my Facebook post about this.He said it wasn’t surprising that they were getting back on but this is just a procedure to keep it going…a weak signal from South Shore that will avoid deletion and in 6 months we could be going through this again.

A revived WMEX, like a revived KQV I would say, would put out a directional, weak signal. The call letters, if Perry gets permission, will please some oldtimers who remember the glory days but may not mean much to most people.Daly XXL did bring them back, though.He will be able to put the FM translator on if a CP is granted and has a 3 year window to build it out.That too is a directional signal and will have to null to the NW and SW and in fact will have to avoid the 101.1 FM translator he wants for the 1460 in Brockton

A revived WMEX, like a revived KQV I would say, would put out a directional, weak signal.
    It's not clear whether the AM will be directional especially if it goes on from a temporary low power antenna site at first. Unlike a directional FM antenna where the pattern is determined by the shapes of the elements on the one antenna, a directional AM site requires at least two towers and is expensive and time consuming to build and test. He may put the AM on the air with a temporary single whip antenna (like WZBR in Dedham uses) just to get it on the air at first. While not directional, it would have to be weak in wattage all around so that it wouldn't send too much power in the directions it can not legally go. If he starts the new 1510 out that way, then he may build a directional multi-tower site for it later on to maximize the signal in the directions it can legally go.

Right it would need to protect other stations for the AM, while the FM translator also would have to protect some other stations.We see that with WJIB's 101.3--head west from the Cambridge site and it soon gives way to the WMRC translator--and translators for WUBG on 105.3 and WROL on 100.3

I think WMEX had different patterns for day, night, and Critical Hours.
    I notice Radio-Locator has two signal patterns for WILD 1090, Daytime and Critical Hours. Radio-Locator defines it as this:

"The two hours immediately after sunrise and the two hours directly before sunset are referred to as "Critical Hours".
    AM radio signals travel farther at night due to ionization of the Earth's atmosphere. To prevent interference with other stations far away, many AM stations have to either sign off the air, reduce their transmitter power, or change their antenna patterns at night. Some AM radio stations also have to change their power or antenna patterns during these "Critical Hours" because of changes in the atmosphere at those times as well."

I think WMEX had different patterns for day, night, and Critical Hours.
    I notice Radio-Locator has two signal patterns for WILD 1090, Daytime and Critical Hours.
    WILD is non-directional with just one tower, so their listed pattern changes are actually just changes in output wattage. WMEX was directional with four towers and had three graphically different patterns, all with the same wattage (50 kW) going in the prime direction (mainly east).

WILD also has a third "pattern", broadcasting at low power (maybe under 100 watts?) for a half-hour after sunset (after the "critical hours" pattern) under a "post-sunset authorization" (PSSA). PSSA's don't appear to be listed in Radio-Locator.
    Last edited by Eli Polonsky; 05-04-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Polonsky View Post
    It's not clear whether the AM will be directional especially if it goes on from a temporary low power antenna site at first. Unlike a directional FM antenna where the pattern is determined by the shapes of the elements on the one antenna, a directional AM site requires at least two towers and is expensive and time consuming to build and test. He may put the AM on the air with a temporary single whip antenna (like WZBR in Dedham uses) just to get it on the air at first. While not directional, it would have to be weak in wattage all around so that it wouldn't send too much power in the directions it can not legally go. If he starts the new 1510 out that way, then he may build a directional multi-tower site for it later on to maximize the signal in the directions it can legally go.
    He probably could use any (legal) transmitter around 100 - 250 watts he can find that can be put on 1510, feed it to a longwire, add audio - maybe WATD-FM audio, and apply for special temporary authority to get it on the air before the license runs out. Then, as you say, he can build the rest out piece by piece, maybe concentrating on the translator first.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12