WMMR 50 years as a rock station

Thread: WMMR 50 years as a rock station

WMMR 50 years as a rock station

Sunday, WMMR celebrated its 50th birthday as a rock station. The format has outlasted many different owners. Iím glad they had to be sold to Greater Media by CBS all those years ago because CBS would have changed their format like they did to all their other rock stations. Pierre Robert was on the air for 11 hours on Sunday playing one song for every year theyíve been a rock station, all the way back to 1968, one year longer than Iíve been here. It was great radio, live and local.

I’m pretty sure WMMR is the oldest rock station that is still actually a rock station. I can’t think of any rock station that signed on before MMR (there weren’t many) that is still around...
    As we used to say down in ol' Mexico City...A.M.F.!

Quote Originally Posted by seattlesarchiebunker View Post
    Iím pretty sure WMMR is the oldest rock station that is still actually a rock station. I canít think of any rock station that signed on before MMR (there werenít many) that is still around...
    There are two rock stations that debuted before WMMR. WEBN in Cincinnati and KSHE in St. Louis. Both debuted in 1967 with WEBN as the longest FM rock station of all.