KXXO takes on big, BAD Hubbard Radio! - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 61

Thread: KXXO takes on big, BAD Hubbard Radio!

  1. #11
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    37,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    The backwash of all of this is when does it get to a point where FM is no longer suitable for long commutes or even average ones? Because if we're going by this rule making, it basically makes it open season for lower power FMs/translators/LPFMs to take over Seattle frequencies as far south as Marysville.
    That is a very valid point. What's missing... and the ratings don't show location of listening ("at home" and "away" only in the PPM and "at home", "at work" and "in the car" in the diary). The ZIP Code of the respondent shows the home location, but not the away locations in the PPM, and just the two fixed locations in the diary.

    The issue is whether a significant number of people "drag" stations outside their protected on their commute or travels. At the moment, we just don't know.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    6,040
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    That is a very valid point. What's missing... and the ratings don't show location of listening ("at home" and "away" only in the PPM and "at home", "at work" and "in the car" in the diary). The ZIP Code of the respondent shows the home location, but not the away locations in the PPM, and just the two fixed locations in the diary.

    The issue is whether a significant number of people "drag" stations outside their protected on their commute or travels. At the moment, we just don't know.
    You'd be surprised how many people commute to Seattle daily from North Snohomish/Skagit County. The housing prices in Seattle proper and it's suburbs are almost as bad as the Bay Area. So people are spreading out in all directions.

    Most people don't see that part. The hard data for the radio industry may not be in, but the visual one every weekday morning and afternoon on I-5 is.
    To the person who stole my antidepressants; I hope you're happy now.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    You'd be surprised how many people commute to Seattle daily from North Snohomish/Skagit County. The housing prices in Seattle proper and it's suburbs are almost as bad as the Bay Area. So people are spreading out in all directions.

    Most people don't see that part. The hard data for the radio industry may not be in, but the visual one every weekday morning and afternoon on I-5 is.
    And to tie this thread up in a neat red bow...the point Larry makes is why KXXO is doing this in the first place. They have loyal listeners and are counting on them to stop this application.

    OK Frank, lock this baby up. It's run its course.

  4. #14
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    37,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongwater View Post
    You'd be surprised how many people commute to Seattle daily from North Snohomish/Skagit County. The housing prices in Seattle proper and it's suburbs are almost as bad as the Bay Area. So people are spreading out in all directions.

    Most people don't see that part. The hard data for the radio industry may not be in, but the visual one every weekday morning and afternoon on I-5 is.
    We have data on commute patterns. What evidence do we have that even a dozen or so of them listen to that particular station?
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  5. #15
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    37,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Piotrowski View Post
    And to tie this thread up in a neat red bow...the point Larry makes is why KXXO is doing this in the first place. They have loyal listeners and are counting on them to stop this application.

    OK Frank, lock this baby up. It's run its course.
    This is a very topical issue right now, as the FCC is going to supposedly/allegedly/probably change the rules on interference complaints from outside a station's protected contour to insure that they are not isolated and that they are not exaggerated.

    There are going to be future cases that will need to comply with the new rules, so this thread is by no means "locked up" as an official complaint to the FCC does not yet appear to have been filed, and there is, of course, no decision by them.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 05-01-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  6. #16
    I think what Bongwater says holds some merit. I have heard of people commuting to Everett from South King County (probably a 35 mile commute), and even have heard of some who commute to Seattle from places like Graham to the south, Stanwood to the north, or even as far south as Olympia.

    They may be rare, but long commutes are more common than they were even in the 1990's when people complained about Seattle traffic.

    I would guess they listen to the big signals, or maybe switch from a station to another if there are reception issues. But that's just a guess.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    We have data on commute patterns. What evidence do we have that even a dozen or so of them listen to that particular station?
    My bet is the largest concentration of KXXO listeners that don't live in the South Sound area, are right here on this very discussion board. That number could be counted on one hand.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bellingham WA
    Posts
    6,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly A View Post
    My bet is the largest concentration of KXXO listeners that don't live in the South Sound area, are right here on this very discussion board. That number could be counted on one hand.
    Personally, I'm more partial to the Chinese AC format on CHKG.
    To the person who stole my antidepressants; I hope you're happy now.

  9. #19
    The FCC doesn't make their decisions by popular vote. It doesn't matter how many people sign the petition. If the rules say the translator can be licensed, it will. This isn't like a reality TV show where people can vote someone on or off the island.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Edmonds, Washington
    Posts
    2,382
    Even if someone like this is rare, these people do exist. I have to take Access to work two days a week, and a couple weeks ago the driver had on KFNY 102.9. There was never a point where I thought to ask to change the station due to signal, not even in Redmond.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us