KXXO takes on big, BAD Hubbard Radio! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: KXXO takes on big, BAD Hubbard Radio!

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    Even if someone like this is rare, these people do exist.
    Okay, then we'll count you as listener #1. Larry, you #2?

As Grounded Grid said, if they are persistent, they can get the translator built. It is likely that it will be quickly moved or neutered to flea-power status.

Iím thinking of a very recent case in Tampa where a rimshot signal that primarily served a different market had a metro area translator pop up on their frequency. They fought for a bit and eventually forced the translator to power down from 250w to 100 and moved location to a much less desirable spot with lower height and further from the population center (and away from the rimshotís station)

And letís not forget that right here, KMCQ kicked off the longtime downtown translator on 103.3...I have always suspected after exploring options to purchase/lease the translator and Entercom balking. That was a much less severe case of interference than the proposed KKNW to KXXO, and my guess is just like most things, money talks and BS walks in this situation as well.

Donít be surprised if this one is eventually moved as far north and east as possible...maybe the good folks in Gold Bar will finally get to hear KKNW in glorious FM!
    As we used to say down in ol' Mexico City...A.M.F.!

So 103.3 is officially off? I hadn't heard anything since December, when I didn't hear that translator during a brief KMCQ outage, but haven't heard anything official.

According to the FCC, K277AE has moved from its longtime home at the Metropolitan Tower close to I5/Olive to the building behind the Rainier Club near Pioneer Square. Probably the most directional signal I’ve seen on a FM towards the south...I don’t know how they do it but it covers all the way down to Renton in its 60 dBu. That same 60 dBu coverage map shows it doesn’t even make it to Pine St to the north, so it’s entirely possible that those of us who live to the north can’t even hear it! That being said, it negates it’s original purpose of being a translator for downtown.

I work down in North Seattle and have yet to get anything other than KMCQ since late last year.

Which is why Entercom should turn it into an HD2 translator of 'The Mountain.' Simple as that.
    Back on topic, KXXO's 'no interference' post has been taken off Facebook, and they still have until the 8th. I guess they've reached a verdict? No matter what, if KKNW fires up that translator, it will be one of the biggest wastes of RF on the FM dial.
    757 AM's in the log, 615 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: 88.1 KTCV Kennewick, WA; 1/1/18 (early morning)
    Last New AM Log: 1100 WTAM Cleveland, OH; 2/9/18

My guess is someone from Hubbard tuned in 96.1 when they dashed out of Factoria one recent afternoon and realized what a dumpster fire that signal would be. Under its proposed facilities, it’d cover Factoria, and basically everything north going up to downtown Bellevue. Not a particularly great signal — even worse when you have a 50-60 dBu signal on top of it. There will be no way to even try to listen to it past the FCC 60 dBu contours...it’ll be stepped on by KXXO basically everywhere besides Factoria and downtown Bellevue.

I have a strange feeling whoever prepared this application was not from ‘round these here parts, did their due diligence and checked to make sure it follows the rule of law, but didn’t do the most important aspect of searching for an empty channel...listen to it to see if it is indeed empty. The 60 dBu contour rule makes great sense when translators do what they’re originally designed to do: rebroadcast a signal in a place where the originating signal cannot normally be received. When you are basically allowing a new batch of radio stations to squeeze themselves into a piece of a metro area, you are going to get some idiotic applications like this...

This is why I’m in favor of switching translators having to not cause significant interference in a Longley-Rice model. Precedent has shown the FCC has accepted Longley-Rice for putting an acceptable signal over a city of license. Considering our friends in Canuckistan offers a free L-R tool online, I’m not sure why this hasn’t happened yet...it would clear up a lot of this translator mess we are starting to see here and in other large metro areas.

Good news for KXXO Fans! The deadline to respond has been EXTENDED!! (extended by who, who knows).
    But you need to act NOW as the FCC could rule ANY DAY!!!
    http://mixx96.com/no-interference

I used to listen to KXXO on occasion when I lived in Pierce County many years ago. Their audio has always sounded rather muffled and dull. Nothing to really attract listeners when scanning the dial...if anyone even does that any more.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234