• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBIE

I was hoping to hear the "WBIE...Georgia's Country Giant!" jingle.

Yes, he also owned 101.5 at the time. Both stations were signed WBIE (well, WBIE-FM on the FM side).

ABC didn't enter the picture until late 1980 or 1981.

Didn't they own 101.5 at the time? And if so, was the FM automated?

My memory is the FM was automated except the morning show. We did not hear the jingles much except in the mornings. The automation seemed to be carts. Every song had Jim Wilder on the end giving the name, artist, and in the gravely voice "here on WBIE." I heard from the radio operators who babysat the equipment that they were not allowed to sit in Jim's chair. :cool:

Interesting to hear ABC radio as it was a CBS radio affiliate some five years earlier.

Interesting to hear ABC radio as it was a CBS radio affiliate some five years earlier.

Fuzzy memory, but I believe WGST took the CBS affiliation away from all of the stations in the metro when they signed a metro-wide exclusive contract. Before the metro-wide contract a "Marietta" station and an "Atlanta" station could both be affiliates.

Here is the Atlanta radio dial from 1966, courtesy of the AJC. They only list one affiliate metro-wide for each of the four networks.

("Standards" is what the AJC called BM/EZ, and "Popular" is what they called MOR. Also odd that WPLO is not listed as "Town & Country" when they practically originated the format.)

WPLO 590 Country
WSB 750 Popular (NBC)
WQXI 790 Top 40
WERD 860 R&B/Jazz
WGST 920 Popular (ABC)
WIIN 970 Popular
WGUN 1010 Country (Mutual)
WBIE 1080 Standards (CBS)
WGKA 1190 Classical
WFOM 1230 Top 40
WTJH 1260 Country
WOMN 1310 Popular
WIGO 1340 R&B
WAOK 1380 R&B
WAVO 1420 Religious
WYZE 1480 Town & Country
WYNX 1550 Town & Country
WAIA 1570 Country (became Top 40 WBAD in 1967)

WABE 90.1 Educational
WGKA 92.9 Classical
WKXI 94.1 Finance
WAVO 94.9 Religious
WKLS 96.1 Standards (Stereo)
WSB 98.5 Popular (Stereo)
WLTA 99.7 Standards (Stereo)
WBIE 101.5 Standards
WPLO 103.3 Popular

So, my fuzzy memory still says CBS was on WGST during the Newsradio days (hence the CBS news sounder package used). So, maybe WBIE got ABC when CBS went to WGST.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom