WFAN....AM & FM? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WFAN....AM & FM?

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Bingo! All stations that carry major league sports can't stream them because the rights belong to the teams or leagues. I've never listened to WFAN's stream. Do they just run a looped "Sorry, we can't stream this" announcement for 3-plus hours or is there filler programming (talk-show reruns) they can use?
    FAN runs CBS Sports Radio whenever they have a Yankees game they can’t stream.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

As mentioned in another post, the AM / FM simulcast prohibition ended decades ago, at the point when it was obvious that the AM band was in severe decline.
    Sorry for pursuing the point....so there is currently no prohibition on simulcasting.....in any market at all?

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Bingo! All stations that carry major league sports can't stream them because the rights belong to the teams or leagues. I've never listened to WFAN's stream. Do they just run a looped "Sorry, we can't stream this" announcement for 3-plus hours or is there filler programming (talk-show reruns) they can use?
    NHL games are streamed online.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    Sorry for pursuing the point....so there is currently no prohibition on simulcasting.....in any market at all?
    Correct.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

On the question about WFAN-AM-FM, yes, they simulcast at all times. Otherwise they'd have to post separate ratings for the AM and the FM. For the 2014 baseball season in Chicago, 780 WBBM carried the Cubs, while its FM simulcast at 105.9, WCFS, continued the all-news format on its own. Each station had to be listed separately in the ratings, and surprisingly, WBBM had considerably better numbers than WCFS. Part of that may have been Cubs games, but as David tells us, a lot of Chicago's suburbs have sprawled beyond the signal of 105.9 WCFS. While it is on the Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower), it is still a Class B, as nearly all stations east of the Milwaukee market are.

I have never read anyone telling us which does better in NYC market, WFAN AM or WFAN-FM. And while the internet feed of WFAN plays the CBS Sports Radio Network during games, that network never airs on WFAN over the air, other than an occasional update or feature. WFAN is the only Sports station that never carries network programming, not even overnight.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg. View Post
    On the question about WFAN-AM-FM, yes, they simulcast at all times. Otherwise they'd have to post separate ratings for the AM and the FM. For the 2014 baseball season in Chicago, 780 WBBM carried the Cubs, while its FM simulcast at 105.9, WCFS, continued the all-news format on its own. Each station had to be listed separately in the ratings, and surprisingly, WBBM had considerably better numbers than WCFS. Part of that may have been Cubs games, but as David tells us, a lot of Chicago's suburbs have sprawled beyond the signal of 105.9 WCFS. While it is on the Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower), it is still a Class B, as nearly all stations east of the Milwaukee market are.
    There is an exception for the simulcast rule where sports play by play can be broadcast on one signal. See the 4th item here (From Nielsen TLR policy statement):

100% Simulcast -- The station and stream are 100%
    simulcast, including all programming and commercials.

Geo-Fenced – The streaming audio delivered to listeners in
    the station’s home market is exactly the same as on-air; the
    stream may deliver different commercials to listeners outside
    the station’s home market.

Advertiser Opt-Out – The streaming audio delivered to all
    listeners is exactly the same as on-air, except for a
    commercial not streamed at the advertiser’s request. In place
    of that commercial, the broadcaster may stream a cleared
    commercial for the same advertiser or non-commercial
    content.

Play-By-Play Streams – The streaming audio delivered to all
    listeners is exactly the same as on-air, except for when the
    on-air station broadcasts play-by-play programming. To be
    eligible for TLR, the stream may either stream a blackout message,
    stream non-monetized programming, or cease
    streaming during the play-by-play.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I am not sure, but I think WQXR might have been exempt, though they eventually did split their programming.
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123