• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KKDZ 1250

LITTLEBOYBLUE

Star Participant
Anyone know much about this operation as it is today? Query shows owned by Akal, which has mailing address of a tiny radio station I once visited in 1974 in Hanford, CA!! Google Earth shows it looks the same ... just like the one in American Graffiti!!

Stopped by their old office @ lower Queen Anne (where Disney was based) and no operation there --- FCC database doesn't have much info about STUDIO location, only mailing addy for Licensee (as far as I can tell). Appears to be same company that owns KZIZ @ 1560 (guess that is no longer paired with KRIZ, then??)

Anyone know much about this operation as it is today? Query shows owned by Akal, which has mailing address of a tiny radio station I once visited in 1974 in Hanford, CA!! Google Earth shows it looks the same ... just like the one in American Graffiti!!

Stopped by their old office @ lower Queen Anne (where Disney was based) and no operation there --- FCC database doesn't have much info about STUDIO location, only mailing addy for Licensee (as far as I can tell). Appears to be same company that owns KZIZ @ 1560 (guess that is no longer paired with KRIZ, then??)

I think local studios aren't a requirement anymore. The studio can be anywhere now. With a link at the transmitter site or somewhere.

So is it now all coming from KIGS?

RE: 1560 in the Seattle area: It is no longer paired with the Z Twins (KRIZ/KYIZ). I think they sold it. The station is South Asian now. A lot of references to Punjab in the broadcasts.

Both stations owned by Akal.

HQ is in CA. Corporate CE & OM has his office at KIGS.

The stations have studios and office in Renton, but get much of their live programming from Surrey, Fresno and India.

Queen Anne studio was not acquired by new owners.

Both stations owned by Akal.

HQ is in CA. Corporate CE & OM has his office at KIGS.

The stations have studios and office in Renton, but get much of their live programming from Surrey, Fresno and India.

Queen Anne studio was not acquired by new owners.

Aren't Akal connected to Satnam, the previous owners of KWLE, KRPA and CFSI?

I'm not sure of the timeline here, but I know it was discussed on this board when it happened. KZIZ was sold around the same time KKDZ was, then KKDZ was sold again. As for the studio, I doubted that was part of the deal. I can't remember where that studio was? I've been there once, but that was about 17 or so years ago.

"Studio" (KKDZ) used to be 1st Ave W ... Lower Queen Anne about a block down from Bentley's restaurant in an office building. KZIZ was with the others at 26th & Jackson. I would think they, at least, need a RACK somewhere in this market to be able to feed the transmitter; but not sure anything else is involved these days. KKDZ, before Disney, was in the Arcade building at 2nd & Union (KidStar); before that K-Fox. Of course the Xmitter site (Kirkland/Rose Hill) has been bulldozed and turned into townhomes; so they are sharing the tower @ Pigeon Pt in West Seattle.

"Studio" (KKDZ) used to be 1st Ave W ... Lower Queen Anne about a block down from Bentley's restaurant in an office building. KZIZ was with the others at 26th & Jackson. I would think they, at least, need a RACK somewhere in this market to be able to feed the transmitter; but not sure anything else is involved these days. KKDZ, before Disney, was in the Arcade building at 2nd & Union (KidStar); before that K-Fox. Of course the Xmitter site (Kirkland/Rose Hill) has been bulldozed and turned into townhomes; so they are sharing the tower @ Pigeon Pt in West Seattle.

KKFX's last location was in an strip mall/office building just south of the Fremont Bridge on Nickerson in the early '90s. Things were really hitting rock bottom for K-Fox at that time. KUBE was killing them. Staff wasn't getting paid. It was a huge mess. And their audio was full blast overmodulated in their final months before going dark for a few months, prior to the KidStar flip.

One of the minor stockholders was connected to that company some years back, but no longer is. Akal itself is not related.

Mostly accurate. KKDZ's last studio was on Lower Queen Anne. It was sized for the Disney operation and was not compatible with the new owners' plans. We moved it out to Renton with the ownership change.

KZIZ was part of the "Z-Twins" operation with KRIZ and KYIZ. It was Akal's first purchase in this area and was unrelated to the KKDZ deal, though they now operate from the same location.

No, you no longer need a rack in the market, or a desk or a parking spot. With the elimination of the local studio rule, you can feed a station from pretty much anywhere with nothing but an internet connection at the transmitter site. There are already a number of stations in Washington that have taken advantage of this, having nothing in their COL but a tower site and, maybe, an infrequently-used studio. If you have control of your transmitter and have EAS functionality and a local or 800 phone number, you're pretty much covered.

The Kirkland site you mention used to be KARR's 24/7 transmitter location, and KKDZ's shared-time (with KWSU) site. KKDZ only used the Kirkland towers from local sunset until midnight. Their Pigeon Point site has long been their primary location, which is shared with KBLE. KKDZ currently has a construction permit to diplex onto KXPA's towers for their shared-time requirement.

Last edited:

About how far down is that from Rogers Park? My first daycare was just down the hill from there, we would walk up there pretty frequently.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom