• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Local versus National Talk; Kimmer versus Hannity

invictus

New Participating Member
With the Kimmer moving to the afternoon, it will be interesting to see if WYAY can impact Sean Hannity with a local show against a national one. Yes, WSB has huge reach and will get bigger probably when they move the FM in town, but live-local seems to be a trend for a reason and I have a suspicion Hannity is not as widely listened to as he once way. The guy has just gotten predictable. If WYAY cannot make a dent in the afternoon against Sean, maybe they need to just go to music.

If the local guy is talking about national subjects, what's the difference?

I looked at his topic list for the last few weeks and they're all national. I didn't see anything specifically about Atlanta.

With the Kimmer moving to the afternoon, it will be interesting to see if WYAY can impact Sean Hannity with a local show against a national one. Yes, WSB has huge reach and will get bigger probably when they move the FM in town, but live-local seems to be a trend for a reason and I have a suspicion Hannity is not as widely listened to as he once way. The guy has just gotten predictable. If WYAY cannot make a dent in the afternoon against Sean, maybe they need to just go to music.

I quit listening to Hannity when he left WGST and went national. His show became boring at that point.

How interesting are Atlanta politics? How many people turn out for local elections? That may answer why the locals are primarily talking about national topics.

Access and perception

The access to the guy and the perception of the guy as local. It's one thing to talk national news, but another to be the local guy doing it who you might run in to. And, when there is big local stuff, they might just cover it.

It's one thing to talk national news, but another to be the local guy doing it who you might run in to.

What would be so wrong to have him leave the national stories for the national host, and devote his time to a place he knows, which is Atlanta?

And be honest, when was the last time you ran into him at the local Home Depot?

And be honest, when was the last time you ran into him at the local Home Depot?

Not him, but I've seen Arum from WSB out. Nice guy. But there's still both a potential there and also the ability to do live shows around town to drive listeners and build loyalty.

But there's still both a potential there and also the ability to do live shows around town to drive listeners and build loyalty.

Sure. We'll see if it makes a difference. My bet is no.

Where live & local is working is when the local host focuses on things other than national politics.

Met Boortz at HD in Doraville once.

Hannity is starting to sound like Levin, Savage and Jones. Passionate and pissed. All he has to do now is start yelling and he will join their club.

I looked at his topic list for the last few weeks and they're all national. I didn't see anything specifically about Atlanta.

What's the point of paying a local guy if he's not going to talk about local stuff? There are TONS of things to talk about in Atlanta that are local (not only politics.)

The best local talk radio host (IMO) is Scott Ryfan of WGIG (IHeart) in Brunswick Ga from 7AM to 10AM. He has a huge market share in SE GA. He is from Brunswick and does not seem to want to leave the area. I don't hear good local radio like this very often.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom