• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WAMZ Gets Satellite Morning Show

It's sad really. First QMF loses its local morning show, then the Fox, now the big AMZ. What's next, syndication in the morning on 840?

I read the press release and they made it sound like having a syndicated morning show was a good thing. Really sad.
I wouldn't be surprised if WHAS was next.

I didn't expect anything other than what iHeart said. They continue to drop local programing and act like it's a good thing when it's not.

I read the press release and they made it sound like having a syndicated morning show was a good thing.

There is a reason why TV stations generally do not try to do their own "late night after the news" shows.

Syndicated morning shows are so flexible in the logistics sense that they can accommodate local service elements such as weather and traffic and news with a host who is "too good" to be in a single local market. Fallon is not going to be doing a solo show in Minneapolis... Colbert is not going to be on a local station in Indianapolis... and Kimmel is not going to host a single-market show in Memphis.

I'm not saying that all local morning shows are inferior... just that there are equally valid reasons for evaluating both alternatives and picking the one that most listeners will enjoy and also the one that is most viable economically for the station. Yes, cost matters.

Put it this way.....building a new morning show from scratch costs money and you have no guarantee it's going to fly with listeners. No one bought the book in Knoxville last time out (except independendently owned rimshot Merle 96.7) so I don't know, but I have to think the ratings for the new Tony and Kris show are less than the long time Andy and Allison show.

There is a reason why TV stations generally do not try to do their own "late night after the news" shows.

At least the TV stations *have* a late, local newscast, followed by a network or syndicated show.

Many radio stations replace a live, local morning show with a satellite show and leave it at that.

Yes, they *could* augment it with a healthy dose of local content carved out of the commercial breaks. As a practical matter, though, many stations don't. Localization requires time, effort, and expense, plus it cuts into the amount of local commercial inventory they have available to sell. So, many just turn up the bird and let it play.

Something I never understood was when Ihearts alt 98.7 in la had kennedy in the morning with all music then in April of 2014 they added the woody show which is now syndicated and one of the affiliates is in indianapolis. Why would iheart ad expense like that.

Clear channel did it first on 840 by dropping JOE Elliot 9 till midnight show over 10 years ago. Looks like in hindsight it was a blessing to chris randolph they got rid of him when they did. So sad.

If a show has a track record across multiple markets, and the morning show that you ,ove in from Cleveland has none, it makes sense. Other than ex-radio people, that audience that say
"I won't listen to Bobby Bones because he's not sitting in a room downtown in my town" is slim to none.

Yes, they *could* augment it with a healthy dose of local content carved out of the commercial breaks. As a practical matter, though, many stations don't. Localization requires time, effort, and expense, plus it cuts into the amount of local commercial inventory they have available to sell. So, many just turn up the bird and let it play.

The model for many syndicated morning shows is based on "kibbles and bits". The show is provided to stations in pieces, which are inserted into the station's own music list, stopset number and placement, etc.

A prime example of this is the Ryan Seacrest show which is inserted in either mornings or midddays in formats ranging from CHR to AC with the amount of talk the station wants. Commercial load and break is not determined by the network, as the station simply works the Seacrest bits into its program structure and amount of sold inventory.

Now the question in my mind is how long will "Officer Don & DeeAnn in the Morning" last on 98.1 The Bull in Lexington? The morning show usually has killer ratings, as the station is always #1 in every book. They've even won ACM awards for best small/medium-size market morning show.

They seem to be doing great on WBUL. Wonder if they thought about doing the show for both stations? I think they did that back when 93.1 was WYBL The Bull back in the day.

Corey and Amy was also doing a show on 94.5. Less interactive. Now it’s a satellite show as well Murphy Sam and Jodi.

It seems three formats especially push syndicated morning shows... Urban AC with Steve Harvey or Tom Joyner, Latino stations of various formats, be it Tropical/Contemporary in the East or Regional Mexican in the West, and Country, with iHeart's Bobby Bones or Cumulus' Ty, Kelli & Chuck, both broadcasting from Nashville. An independent company is even syndicating a third Country morning show, someone and Bubba.

These morning shows can supply artist interviews and other elements that a local station can't. I am sad about the local DJs who are getting displaced. I hope the stations that take a national morning show make sure local news, weather, sports scores and traffic get inserted. And that these stations remain live and local in other dayparts.

These morning shows can supply artist interviews and other elements that a local station can't.

Not only that. A real radio personality isn't something that exists in every town. When you think of the odds of someone really talented growing up, and then deciding to use that talent in local radio, it's not really good. There are many places for talented people to use their skills today. Radio isn't top of mind, and usually doesn't pay the best. They tried out Corey Calhoun for a few years. He had the challenge of replacing a legendary morning show. Not always easy to do. Everyone compares you to who you replaced. This is happening in a lot of towns, where legendary talent are retiring after many years on the air. A station can start from scratch, and build something from the bottom up, or take a show that already has a running start.

I think that's comparing apples to oranges. Other than local news and local childrens programming, the latter of which went away decades ago, television stations run syndicated programming all the time.

Syndicated morning shows are so flexible in the logistics sense that they can accommodate local service elements such as weather and traffic and news with a host who is "too good" to be in a single local market. Fallon is not going to be doing a solo show in Minneapolis... Colbert is not going to be on a local station in Indianapolis... and Kimmel is not going to host a single-market show in Memphis.

I'm not saying that all local morning shows are inferior... just that there are equally valid reasons for evaluating both alternatives and picking the one that most listeners will enjoy and also the one that is most viable economically for the station. Yes, cost matters.

If you were worried about former WAMZ morning man Corey Calhoun, we have good news. He was just hired by another iHeart station, according to Country Aircheck:

Wash'd Up: Former iHeartMedia WAMZ/Louisville morning host Corey Calhoun has joined the company's WMZQ/Washington as MD/evening personality, responsibilities formerly handled by JT Bosch, who left for the company's WKKT/Charlotte last year (CAT 11/22). "Corey completes the WMZQ team," RVP/Programming Jeff Kapugi says. "He brings a fresh new energy to the station and some great experience spanning multiple markets and formats." Calhoun was replaced after two years in 'AMZ mornings earlier this month by Premiere's The Bobby Bones Show (CAT 4/25). He served as APD/afternoon host prior to that, and has other stops at iHM/Waycross, GA and WLTO/Lexington, KY.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom