Thread: Can ads be local?

Can ads be local?

I listen to a Wisconsin station online but I'm in North Carolina. Does someone know? Because there was an ad related to north Carolina and that's the only logical explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by vchimpanzee View Post
    I listen to a Wisconsin station online but I'm in North Carolina. Does someone know? Because there was an ad related to north Carolina and that's the only logical explanation.
    The server knows.

Google is serving those ads. I was over in Asheville NC a couple of weeks ago and now when I listen to WLW on the iHeart app, I get ads for a car dealer in Asheville.

My guess is you're listening to iHeart's "Real Oldies" --- fed via WRIT-FM HD2, Milwaukee.....
    Every so often I'll catch a New Hampshire business ad running among the national stuff...
    TheBigA nailed it, I think......regional servers distribute area-specific info...

Quote Originally Posted by Oldie919 View Post
    My guess is you're listening to iHeart's "Real Oldies" --- fed via WRIT-FM HD2, Milwaukee.....
    Every so often I'll catch a New Hampshire business ad running among the national stuff...
    TheBigA nailed it, I think......regional servers distribute area-specific info...
    No, it's Westwood One America's Best Music on WNAM. Not oldies. My former Westwood one America's Best Music affiliate has been oldies for several years now. BIG difference.

Belk department stores (similar to Macy's) do not operate outside the South. Yet WNAM sent me an ad for the chain.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Belk department stores (similar to Macy's) do not operate outside the South. Yet WNAM sent me an ad for the chain.
    Many stations subcontract the web ads. Those aggregators insert ads based on where you are logged on from.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Weird. You can't get more local than this. Not a full-length commercial but a list of sponsors for something. One of them was listed as I passed right by the business in my car. A regular AM signal, though.