• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can ads be local?

vchimpanzee

Walk of Fame Participant
I listen to a Wisconsin station online but I'm in North Carolina. Does someone know? Because there was an ad related to north Carolina and that's the only logical explanation.

Google is serving those ads. I was over in Asheville NC a couple of weeks ago and now when I listen to WLW on the iHeart app, I get ads for a car dealer in Asheville.

I listen to a Wisconsin station online but I'm in North Carolina. Does someone know? Because there was an ad related to north Carolina and that's the only logical explanation.

My guess is you're listening to iHeart's "Real Oldies" --- fed via WRIT-FM HD2, Milwaukee.....
Every so often I'll catch a New Hampshire business ad running among the national stuff...
TheBigA nailed it, I think......regional servers distribute area-specific info...

My guess is you're listening to iHeart's "Real Oldies" --- fed via WRIT-FM HD2, Milwaukee.....
Every so often I'll catch a New Hampshire business ad running among the national stuff...
TheBigA nailed it, I think......regional servers distribute area-specific info...

No, it's Westwood One America's Best Music on WNAM. Not oldies. My former Westwood one America's Best Music affiliate has been oldies for several years now. BIG difference.

Belk department stores (similar to Macy's) do not operate outside the South. Yet WNAM sent me an ad for the chain.

Belk department stores (similar to Macy's) do not operate outside the South. Yet WNAM sent me an ad for the chain.

Many stations subcontract the web ads. Those aggregators insert ads based on where you are logged on from.

Weird. You can't get more local than this. Not a full-length commercial but a list of sponsors for something. One of them was listed as I passed right by the business in my car. A regular AM signal, though.

Howdy folks. Colonel Sanders NAPA know-how!

That may not be related to where I live. Maybe something went wrong on the station itself. Usually the local ads start right on time.

Howdy folks. Colonel Sanders …

This time it was a local business. Local meaning where the radio station is located.

Last edited:
Howdy folks. Colonel Sanders NAPA know-how!

That may not be related to where I live. Maybe something went wrong on the station itself. Usually the local ads start right on time.

Howdy folks. Colonel Sanders …

This time it was a local business. Local meaning where the radio station is located.

was this on a iHeartrRadio stream of a iHeartMedia radio station.

Many stations subcontract the web ads. Those aggregators insert ads based on where you are logged on from.

And for those of you using a VPN (which everyone should be doing these days) your "location" will be the VPN server and not your actual physical location.

Regardless of what is taking place, the first ad always seems to start late after another ad aired for a few seconds. I should report this.

This reminds me of cable TV ad inserts years ago .Watching an out of area stations like WCBS,WABC,WNBC,ETC from NYC of Boston .They insert local ads during the ad breaks.Most of the time its was sloppy and clip a few seconds off going to a ad break and coming back to the show. The Syndex rule killed some of it with the syndie shows and just blanking out the channel altogether..

For radio.I have not pay any attention with that lately.Stations that I do listen online airs everything that goes OTA .No insert ads there. ...

I reported the problem to WNAM, and I did get a response saying yes, ads that are heard online are different from ads heard over the air. The problem has not been fixed and many of the commercials air for a few seconds and then get interrupted by the "correct" ad. You have to figure people who wanted to hear more from the wrong ad are disappointed when this happens.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom