Old School Gates CB-77 Turntable Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old School Gates CB-77 Turntable Question

Assuming the motor turns freely (now?)...

Perhaps the capacitor has dried out? The manual shows there should be one in there.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Grounded Grid View Post
    Assuming the motor turns freely (now?)...

Perhaps the capacitor has dried out? The manual shows there should be one in there.
    That's a good point.

A general question, since I've only worked on cart machines, tape decks and turntables with hysteresis-synchronous motors: A couple of engineering texts I have indicate that such motors, particularly in the smaller sizes, may not need a cap to start as there is enough of a "kick" to push the motor into rotation with just applying power to it. Is that true with the kinds of motors we see in old mechanical devices?

P.S. If you have the actual manual for a CB-77 or any of the CB series (like the 16" transcription monster!) I would love to have a scan for the catalog section of the below-mentioned website. I have the CB series sales brochure, but no manual.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

That's a good point.

A general question, since I've only worked on cart machines, tape decks and turntables with hysteresis-synchronous motors: A couple of engineering texts I have indicate that such motors, particularly in the smaller sizes, may not need a cap to start as there is enough of a "kick" to push the motor into rotation with just applying power to it. Is that true with the kinds of motors we see in old mechanical devices?

P.S. If you have the actual manual for a CB-77 or any of the CB series (like the 16" transcription monster!) I would love to have a scan for the catalog section of the below-mentioned website. I have the CB series sales brochure, but no manual.
    I spoke to a tech at Ashland Motor in NH. He tells me this model motor has bronze sleeve bearings with a felt wick and the felt has dried out and all it really needs is more oil. He suggested putting in a couple of drops everyday until the wick is re-saturated and it should go back to normal startup once that happens. As far as the manual goes it is fairly easy to find on a google search:

http://steampoweredradio.com/pdf/gat...0cb77%20tt.pdf

I also have an original manual if the above link isn't usable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12