• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFOG

MarkW

Star Participant
So, the Woody Show is coming to 104.5/97.7 KFOG.

Did this show actually garner good ratings during its run at Live 105? I remember Live 105 having terrible ratings overall at the time (shocking, right?), but its morning shows at times have outperformed the rest of the station by a decent margin.

I suppose this move by KFOG places the station squarely in direct competition with Alt 105.3.

Can someone explain to me why those two stations - both of which have been ratings laggards and underwhelming billers for several consecutive years - continue to carry their respective formats? The playlist on KFOG is truly awful. A bunch of whiny, Modern AC slop mostly from artists incapable of selling out a big venue, many of whom will be forgotten three or four years from now. Alt 105.3 is barely better.

I think Cumulus should sell 104.5 outright and flip 97.7 to a rebroadcast of 107.7.

I think that move was reasonable, considering that iHeart didn't have a station it could flip to give The Woody Show a clearance, although I thought at first that the show would be returning to Alt 105.3.

Seems like a shift to alternative is inevitable for KFOG. Playlist seems incredibly tight for a Triple-A station.

Listening to rock radio over the years has given me lots of great comedic memories of its show personalities.
Listening to Frazier Smith's alternative commentary on the Rose Bowl, Mark & Brian's KLOS show and Alex Bennett at KQAK were one of the best comedy bits in morning radio.

The closest I've ever come to finding another show like this is the Woody Show.
I'm glad it's coming to KFOG. Although it will be interesting to see how well they do in the ratings in an already crowded morning show field.

Speaking of KFOG, in its hey day, it too had a great morning show with great music. It's too bad that format did not survive into the present day.

I will be very surprised if the Woody show is successful in San Francisco. The Bay Area has typically not been kind to syndicated out of the area morning radio shows. Stern did ok, but nothing like in other markets. Really surprised KFOG went this direction, but perhaps from $ view point they can be more profitable than having to pay actual local talent.

And just to put the final nail in the coffin: this Sunday (5/20/18) will be Rosalie's last "Acoustic Sunrise". Gotta make room for weekend "Best of the Woody Show" compilations I suppose...

Cumulus might as well change the call letters. KFOG is dead. They've​ alienated and/or purged the loyal listener base with all the changes. The once high quality programming is gone. At least show the corpse some respect & retire the name...

Cumulus might as well change the call letters. KFOG is dead.

The original KFOG was dead when they flipped from beautiful music almost 35 years ago.

The brand is what they make it, not what it was. Things change. People understand that.

If the station gives a big enough group of people what they want, then ancient history doesn't matter.

The original KFOG was dead when they flipped from beautiful music almost 35 years ago.

The brand is what they make it, not what it was. Things change. People understand that.

If the station gives a big enough group of people what they want, then ancient history doesn't matter.

Things change, but that doesn't guarantee success. Adding another Ass Clown Morning Zoo probably won't help. KFOG was a successful and iconic AAA station. Hoping for younger demos is a pipe dream...

Things change, but that doesn't guarantee success. Adding another Ass Clown Morning Zoo probably won't help.

"Probably won't help?" Won't help what? The Woody Show has a track record. They clearly have an audience.

This is a format where music isn't an attraction in the morning. So it's a low cost, low risk change.

And if it doesn't work, they try something else. No big deal. Not like they're getting married.

I will be very surprised if the Woody show is successful in San Francisco. The Bay Area has typically not been kind to syndicated out of the area morning radio shows. Stern did ok, but nothing like in other markets. Really surprised KFOG went this direction, but perhaps from $ view point they can be more profitable than having to pay actual local talent.

Or someone like, Matt Pinfield!!

Does anyone have examples of stations that have stayed true to their original purpose and remained successful long after the audience has aged past the targeted demo? I'm aware of WMMR in Philadelphia, KLOS and KROQ (although teetering like KFOG) in LA and also 91X in San Diego. Would those be examples of stations KFOG should have emulated...staying true to what they were, but still being relevant and viable?

"Probably won't help?" Won't help what? The Woody Show has a track record. They clearly have an audience.

This is a format where music isn't an attraction in the morning. So it's a low cost, low risk change.

And if it doesn't work, they try something else. No big deal. Not like they're getting married.

They could always bring in Kevin Klein Live!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom