KVVF mentioned in interesting blog on CHR stations

Thread: KVVF mentioned in interesting blog on CHR stations

Moderator/Co-Administrator

KVVF mentioned in interesting blog on CHR stations

Sean Ross compres San JosÚ's KVVF with a CHR in Mid-America and makes some interesting observations:

https://radioinsight.com/ross/167876...ch-other-chrs/

Again, we see that format names can cover a very broad range of variations.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Mea culpa time...

I was dead wrong regarding the viability of this station. I said at the time a CHR format laced with a few Spanish language songs an hour would not work. The failed Radio H20 in Dallas was the main reason for my opinion. Clearly, I was wrong. Hot's format shift has proven successful, at least ratings wise.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Mea culpa time...

I was dead wrong regarding the viability of this station. I said at the time a CHR format laced with a few Spanish language songs an hour would not work. The failed Radio H20 in Dallas was the main reason for my opinion. Clearly, I was wrong. Hot's format shift has proven successful, at least ratings wise.
    You have re-inforced what's wrong with radio these days. Radio used to have "local" PD's, responsponsible for programming "for the market". More and more broadcasters try to program drawing from the experience in other markets. What works in San Jose doesn't always work in Dallas and vice versa. KSOL, Wild and even KHQT (Hott 97.7) did this back in the day and found sucess. Albeit, there wasn't PPM back in the day...
    I got out of the business before it sucked the life out of me.
    Now I just play radio online at www.allthebestoldies.com.

Quote Originally Posted by stewie View Post
    You have re-inforced what's wrong with radio these days. Radio used to have "local" PD's, responsponsible for programming "for the market". More and more broadcasters try to program drawing from the experience in other markets. What works in San Jose doesn't always work in Dallas and vice versa. KSOL, Wild and even KHQT (Hott 97.7) did this back in the day and found sucess. Albeit, there wasn't PPM back in the day...
    I'm in total agreement with you.

25 years ago, a broadcaster trying to save some money was caught in a 5 way AC race. They had a pretty good sounding Hot AC, but they didn't have the budget to do a proper research project. So they took a format finder study from another market (for a station that they opted not to change a few years before) and tried to apply its results there. The station tanked and they sold it in a fire sale.

There are far more cookie-cutter format failures than successes in this business. Either you program for the local market or you flip formats every couple of years. You either spend the money now or later, but sooner or later it costs you money.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Quote Originally Posted by johndavis View Post
    There are far more cookie-cutter format failures than successes in this business. Either you program for the local market or you flip formats every couple of years. You either spend the money now or later, but sooner or later it costs you money.
    Exactly!
    I got out of the business before it sucked the life out of me.
    Now I just play radio online at www.allthebestoldies.com.